What's new

Can't Access USB Hard Drive or Printer on ASUS RT-AC66R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevinpurcell

New Around Here
I just got this router today and hooked it up. Speeds whip my Apple AirPort Extreme. However, when I plug a hard drive into the back of the ASUS router and try to copy files to it from my Mac it says it cannot copy the file because there is no more room.
I know that's not true. It's a 4GB WD MyBook hard drive newly formatted. I used to have it formatted Mac OS Extended and then reformatted the drive using a Windows Machine in fat32. So it's nearly empty. I can copy maybe 1 file at a time, but doing more than that returns this error and then I try again and get an error saying the file is in use. I can reboot the mac and copy one at a time.
I've also connected the drive directly to the Mac and it works fine.
I'm running OS X 10.10.3 on a MacBook Pro. I've updated to the latest ASUS firmware and tried reformatting again and resetting the router twice now.

The other issue is a printer. I can see it on the network, but I can't print to it. With both the printer and the hard drive, they show up as connected in the router's status web interface.

FAT32 limits files to 4 GB max. I recommend using NTFS or ext3 instead.

Use EXT3 for Samba sharing on any linux platform... best performance, and one does not run into the max file size limits...

Speeds whip my Apple AirPort Extreme.

Got to be careful as Apple names all their AP's as AirPort Extreme, all the way back to 802.11g days... The current AP Extreme 6th Gen,, circa 2013, is the same low level HW as the 68U, and performs similar...

The EXT3 has helped. However, I think that I've stumbled upon a Finder bug on OSX dating back multiple versions. There's an Apple support community thread as old as Mavericks with people complaining that copying from a Mac to a NAS drive that runs Linux has a problem if the folder view options are set to show icon previews and in anything other than list mode. In fact, copying a whole folder works fine, since there's no icon of each individual app to cause a problem.
A workaround is to put the folders in list view and then uncheck the icon preview setting in the Finder folder view settings. Another workaround has been to use an app that I used to use called Forklift. I hadn't used it in awhile, but tried it and it works fine. So this is a Finder bug apparently and Dropbox also causes an issue for some. So I shut down dropbox and it's working. Very strange.

I gave up trying to hook up a printer to the USB. I just hooked it up to Ethernet since my printer has that built in and it works.

Thanks for the suggestions.