What's new

Can't get OpenVPN (using ExpressVPN) to run on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have had no issues running ExpressVPN openvpn on my RT-AC86U. In fact I'm running two separate tunnels. The instructions for Asus Merlin are on the site but in case you can't find it here are the steps.

1. Go to your ExpressVPN account and select setup for Asus (Including Merlin)
2. Download the appropriate openvpn config file.
3. Upload it to whichever VPN Client instance you want use.
4. Copy your username and password from your ExpressVPN account to your VPN Client Authentication settings.
5. Set Accept DNS Configuration to Exclusive
6. Set Redirect Internet traffic to Policy Rules (Strict)
7. Add whatever clients you want routed through to VPN tunnel to the table.

Nothing further required.

What you've written, thats exactly what I've done with my RT-N66U, RT-AC87U, and now with my new RT-AC86U I'm having the same issue OP is having.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-rt-ac86u-openvpn-trouble.48678/

Firstly, thanks again for all the pointers.

Secondly, to clarify, when I say "refurbished", I mean I bought an AC-86U "refurbished" from NewEgg (albeit for $20 more than the current price): https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320351&cm_re=ac86u-_-33-320-351-_-Product. I'm not trying to convert a TM-AC1900 or anything like that.

Thirdly, I did a factory reset (initialize) and did nothing but setup an SSID and password, before following the steps above to setup the OpenVPN. There has been no change in behaviour. It still doesn't work. I tried using two different .ovpn files, and tried two different computers.

I still don't show a public IP address with the VPN, and I still can't access the internet even with no kill switch installed. The screen says DNS address could not be found and then goes to another screen with windows diagnostic saying can't auto detect proxy setting.

I notice on the VPN status screen, that it keeps resetting...

View attachment 14262

I also think I've setup the VPN right...I've checked it multiple times...

View attachment 14263
View attachment 14264
View attachment 14265

Question: Is it at all possible that it could be a hardware fault or otherwise attributable to buying a refurbished router? It makes me wonder that so many recently released routers. have been returned so quickly.

I have the EXACT problem, and my 86U is a new unit, brand new.

Hi.

I needed to add the last 2 lines into the custom configuration box on the VPN client tab. Has been working flawlessly ever since.

upload_2018-9-3_11-57-13.png

Hi.

I needed to add the last 2 lines into the custom configuration box on the VPN client tab. Has been working flawlessly ever since.

View attachment 14309

Yeah, I read the remainder of this thread and did the same and its working perfectly. Cheers!

I have had no issues running ExpressVPN openvpn on my RT-AC86U. In fact I'm running two separate tunnels. The instructions for Asus Merlin are on the site but in case you can't find it here are the steps.

1. Go to your ExpressVPN account and select setup for Asus (Including Merlin)
2. Download the appropriate openvpn config file.
3. Upload it to whichever VPN Client instance you want use.
4. Copy your username and password from your ExpressVPN account to your VPN Client Authentication settings.
5. Set Accept DNS Configuration to Exclusive
6. Set Redirect Internet traffic to Policy Rules (Strict)
7. Add whatever clients you want routed through to VPN tunnel to the table.

Nothing further required.
Yeah, But NO. I am trying to do this now and its not working.