What's new

changing native ipv6 Prefix Length

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hufflepuff

New Around Here
first ever posting, so be gentle.
i have the following issue and i can't seem to solve it.

first basic info: my isp dishes out fixed ipv4 and ipv6 and has native ipv6 support. i am using a AC66U if that matters.

now the issue is that my isp give out /48 adresses but for some (stupid) reason the (latest) merlin firmware only allows /64.
i have tried running the following commands:

nvram set ipv6_6rd_prefix_length="48"
nvram commit

that does seem to change it, but a following reboot instantly returns it to 64, so does just pulling the wan cable (no reboot).

is there a way to release the diabolical seals of the devil and allow me to change the prefix myself? without this i cannot get ipv6 to work properly wich sucks really bad as the isp router has the processing power of a bucket of sand.

The delegating router, mostly the modem connected to the provider, defines the prefix length it gives to the requesting router. You cannot override that with a nvram setting. Normally the delegating router will not give a requesting router it's whole prefix length. So it's possible that it gives away /64 prefixes if it gets a /56 from the provider.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!