What's new

Tunnelbroker /48 prefix on Asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zetto

Regular Contributor
I've been using tunnelbroker forever to get ipv6 (local ISP hasn't evolved to provide it on its own), and been advised by HE support to switch to /48 prefix instead of usual /64, but for some reason the router fails to acquire IPV6 address when I swap out the /64 prefix for /48 one. Has anyone had any experience configuring their Asus router to use /48 prefix with tunnelbroker? I'd appreciate any advice, I feel like I'm missing some setting or step I need to make in order to get it working.

I've been using tunnelbroker forever to get ipv6 (local ISP hasn't evolved to provide it on its own), and been advised by HE support to switch to /48 prefix instead of usual /64, but for some reason the router fails to acquire IPV6 address when I swap out the /64 prefix for /48 one. Has anyone had any experience configuring their Asus router to use /48 prefix with tunnelbroker? I'd appreciate any advice, I feel like I'm missing some setting or step I need to make in order to get it working.

My guess is they want you to move to DHCPv6-PD to automatically take that /48 and assign WAN and LAN subnets out of it. This is under "Native" mode in Asus and is what most decent ISPs are doing. But I'd read through their DOCs/FAQs to see. /48 is pretty typical for PD, then /64s for LAN and WAN come out of that.

My guess is they want you to move to DHCPv6-PD to automatically take that /48 and assign WAN and LAN subnets out of it. This is under "Native" mode in Asus and is what most decent ISPs are doing. But I'd read through their DOCs/FAQs to see. /48 is pretty typical for PD, then /64s for LAN and WAN come out of that.
That wouldn't apply here because he is not using a "real" IPv6 connection, he's using HE's 6in4 tunnel.

@Zetto Did they say why they want you to change to /48?

EDIT: I've just enabled /48 on my HE account and replaced the LAN prefix and length in the Asus' IPv6 settings. The router and my LAN clients picked up the change immediately and are working as expected. I ran through a whole bunch of online IPv6 tests are they all said IPv6 was working (as much as any 6in4 tunnel does).

Last edited:
The /48 is to prevent future google bans, google bans tunnelbroker ipv6 for abuse and blocks whole nets, so /64 might get banned with an abuser on a similar subnet. At least that's what HE support said.

Can you show me a screenshot of tunnelbroker ipv6 settings without identifiable info? Just as a reference, to make sure I'm doing it right.

The /48 is to prevent future google bans, google bans tunnelbroker ipv6 for abuse and blocks whole nets, so /64 might get banned with an abuser on a similar subnet. At least that's what HE support said.

Can you show me a screenshot of tunnelbroker ipv6 settings without identifiable info? Just as a reference, to make sure I'm doing it right.

Have you made the switch with HE yet in your account? You're not just trying to change your existing /64 to /48 right?

That wouldn't apply here because he is not using a "real" IPv6 connection, he's using HE's 6in4 tunnel.

Honestly been so long since I've done anything with v6 tunnels, I just assumed they were probably moving to that model and making it work to try and standardize. In theory possible, but guess there would be no real benefit.

Here you go (I don't normally run with this enabled anyway). In this example 2001:470:1234:: is the new /48 prefix.
Untitled.png

interesting. I've been actually inputting 1 at the end of the prefix, and it worked for /64 forever, but perhaps not for /48

interesting. I've been actually inputting 1 at the end of the prefix, and it worked for /64 forever, but perhaps not for /48

It is asking for a prefix not an address. Once you put the prefix and apply, the LAN IP should show up in the non-editable "address" field above. I'm assuming it picks 1.

Here you go (I don't normally run with this enabled anyway). In this example 2001:470:1234:: is the new /48 prefix.
well, I tried /48 again (google is forcing recaptcha on my /64) and it still doesn't work. No idea why. Same exact settings, just the prefix change, and yet /64 works but /48 doesn't. Maybe the router too weak for /48? it's entry level ax55 but it does have a quad-core CPU... maybe 256gb ram is not enough.

well, I tried /48 again (google is forcing recaptcha on my /64) and it still doesn't work. No idea why. Same exact settings, just the prefix change, and yet /64 works but /48 doesn't. Maybe the router too weak for /48? it's entry level ax55 but it does have a quad-core CPU... maybe 256gb ram is not enough.
The CPU and RAM has nothing to do with whether the router can support /48.

As per post #5, did you also make the /48 change in your HE account and use the new LAN prefix address? You're not just trying to change your existing LAN prefix length from /64 to /48?

Tunnel MTU should be 1452 on both ends for PPPoE, or 1460 for other connection types.
Essentially your WAN mtu minus 40.

Last edited:
Tunnel MTU = 0 works fine for me.
Thank you. It seems from the logs that "MTU = 0" is some kind of auto setting. I see some tuning happening when it first connects. Never seen this before.
Kudos!