What's new

Configuring the RT-AC88U/AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ToonTonic

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

Looking for some guidance in getting the best performance out of my new router.

There seems to be a million & one settings on this device, most of which puzzle me...but I'm making use of Google as much as possible ;)

I'm running latest stock firmware, though I hear good things regards Merlin builds.

Using my Galaxy S7 Edge, it takes forever to pick up the 5ghz signal & turning on "smart connect" always leaves me on 2.5ghz band.

When I first started up the router I had a signal strength of nearly 900Mbps...now I'm rocking just over 300. Nothing has really changed.

My old N66U gave me 300 consistently.

Does anyone know of any good links floating around for optimal configuration or would be willing to share there setups with me?

Any questions feel free to throw my way.

Much appreciated

Toon

Last edited:
Be specific about the router firmware version.
There is no one-fits-all magic configuration advise.
The best results are usually achieved by proper router location and antenna orientation.
One general advise is to setup different SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
Share some more about your situation: location of the router, distance of the router to your client devices, the wifi-neighborhood, some basics of your router wireless setup.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!