What's new

Connection drops in mesh system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TravellerSeko

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,
I've spent some time trying to solve it but I could not. I'm desperate for your help.
I have Asus ZenWifi XD4 Plus (2-pack) and I did;
1) put Virgin HUB3 ISP modem/hub combo on bridge mode
2) assign XD4 Plus as a main router
3) connect mesh node via ethernet backhaul

It's been a while since we started to see Wi-Fi connection drops. I logged into Asus router settings and checked AiMesh settings. I realised connection quality is NORMAL instead of EXCELLENT.
I attached the screenshots.
1) Firmware is the latest for router and nod.
2) Backhaul Connection Priority is already set to 1G WAN ONLY
3) Ethernet Backhaul Mode is already enabled.
4) checked the steps here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040444
5) I used WIFI Analyzer to see the channels (picture attached).

Could anyone help me understand if my connection drops due to;
1) Ethernet connection "NORMAL" (if yes, how to improve)?
2) Channels? (I used a WI-FI analyzer to see if there is congestion on channels etc. As I see it is also fine (I attached pic).
3) ANY OTHER REASONS YOU MAY ENLIGHTEN ME.

Attachments

• IMG_9559.jpeg
    IMG_9559.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9560.jpeg
    IMG_9560.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9561.jpeg
    IMG_9561.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 34
Hi folks,
I've spent some time trying to solve it but I could not. I'm desperate for your help.
I have Asus ZenWifi XD4 Plus (2-pack) and I did;
1) put Virgin HUB3 ISP modem/hub combo on bridge mode
2) assign XD4 Plus as a main router
3) connect mesh node via ethernet backhaul

It's been a while since we started to see Wi-Fi connection drops. I logged into Asus router settings and checked AiMesh settings. I realised connection quality is NORMAL instead of EXCELLENT.
I attached the screenshots.
1) Firmware is the latest for router and nod.
2) Backhaul Connection Priority is already set to 1G WAN ONLY
3) Ethernet Backhaul Mode is already enabled.
4) checked the steps here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040444
5) I used WIFI Analyzer to see the channels (picture attached).

Could anyone help me understand if my connection drops due to;
1) Ethernet connection "NORMAL" (if yes, how to improve)?
2) Channels? (I used a WI-FI analyzer to see if there is congestion on channels etc. As I see it is also fine (I attached pic).
3) ANY OTHER REASONS YOU MAY ENLIGHTEN ME.

Investigate your wired backhaul cabling/connectors/ports... should all support Gigabit Ethernet.

OE

Investigate your wired backhaul cabling/connectors/ports... should all support Gigabit Ethernet.

OE
Thanks much. All of them are CAT6 even though I don’t need it because I have 250 MBPS internet speed. The problem started not long time ago, so it was working fine. I suspect channels could be guilty and interfere each other in the same channel. but I am not sure if router and mesh mod should be on the same channel or not.

I used a WI-FI analyzer to see if there is congestion on channels

This is a common mistake. Wi-Fi analyzer doesn't show available bandwidth. Only what channels APs around are tuned to. There is a chance the best channel is the one you see as "congested" and the worse no one is using for some local environment reason.

All of them are CAT6

Check what connection you have in Status page in your GUI instead. Not AiMesh page, Status page.

By the way, not sure why you did that:

1702823369086.png

Your firmware version is 3.0.0.4.386_69037.
Your SSID is Traveller and you use Smart Connect.

You are in the UK and I would suggest testing Ch.1 for 2.4GHz and Ch.36 for 5GHz. This after fixing your backhaul issues.
Your router and node are perhaps very close to each other. This may create additional Wi-Fi and roaming issues to your client devices.

Thanks much. All of them are CAT6 even though I don’t need it because I have 250 MBPS internet speed. The problem started not long time ago, so it was working fine. I suspect channels could be guilty and interfere each other in the same channel. but I am not sure if router and mesh mod should be on the same channel or not.

You're radio space doesn't look very congested... confirm your wired backhaul link rates. Check the router Log for clues when you experience connection issues.

AiMesh uses the same channels across all nodes... only use nodes you need and spread them out to manage coverage/overlap.

OE

This is a common mistake. Wi-Fi analyzer doesn't show available bandwidth. Only what channels APs around are tuned to. There is a chance the best channel is the one you see as "congested" and the worse no one is using for some local environment reason.

Check what connection you have in Status page in your GUI instead. Not AiMesh page, Status page.
I don’t have AP. All were set up as a mesh system.

Do you mean the status under network map?

Attachments

• IMG_9564.png
    IMG_9564.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 31
By the way, not sure why you did that:

View attachment 54912

Your firmware version is 3.0.0.4.386_69037.
Your SSID is Traveller and you use Smart Connect.

You are in the UK and I would suggest testing Ch.1 for 2.4GHz and Ch.36 for 5GHz. This after fixing your backhaul issues.
Your router and node are perhaps very close to each other. This may create additional Wi-Fi and roaming issues to your client devices.
I didn’t want to separate 2.4 and 5. That’s why I selected smart connect. Do you recommend it to be separated?
Nod is 4 metres away from router. Normally I get barely internet there due to brick walls. Therefore I added mesh nod in that room.

You're radio space doesn't look very congested... confirm your wired backhaul link rates. Check the router Log for clues when you experience connection issues.

AiMesh uses the same channels across all nodes... only use nodes you need and spread them out to manage coverage/overlap.

OE
I don’t have a clue to read those logs but I’ll try. Any recommendation for me to review those logs?

If I turn that nod to AP, will it solve my problems?

Your node is already an AP under the marketing name AiMesh. There will be no difference. This "mesh" set may not even allow Router + AP configuration. Your Ethernet backhaul issues are perhaps unrelated to your Wi-Fi issues. You have to fix the backhaul first and then deal with Wi-Fi connections. You also have to read about the basics because you don't understand well the answers to your questions. It will be very difficult to help you in this situation.

Your node is already an AP under the marketing name AiMesh. There will be no difference. This "mesh" set may not even allow Router + AP configuration. Your Ethernet backhaul issues are perhaps unrelated to your Wi-Fi issues. You have to fix the backhaul first and then deal with Wi-Fi connections. You also have to read about the basics because you don't understand well the answers to your questions. It will be very difficult to help you in this situation.
Thanks mate. I never have a problem on the Xbox, tv, ps5, laptop etc as all of them are connected with Ethernet cable. Thanks for sharing your precious time for me, I knocked every door to find a solution.

Check the Ethernet connections physically (cables, connectors), confirm Gigabit connection (Status and AiMesh pages in GUI), test the channels I recommended above and see how it goes. Use 20MHz wide at 2.4GHz and 80MHz wide at 5GHz. You can also see link speeds and signal levels in System Log, Wireless Log pages in GUI. If you still have issues - come back here, describe what's happening. We'll try to help you further. This door is open.

Last edited: