What's new

Crazy Question? Merlin FW or Official Asus-WRT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

All of the above.

This list is specifically what IS different or added. And when Asus implements one of these (or a variant of it) into the stock firmware, I either remove it from the list, or move it to a separate section listing what used to be on that list, and is now available on stock firmware, as seen on the website:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/features

Didn't realize most items on the feature list are still exclusive to asuswrt-merlin. The following features are essential to me:
  • User scripts that run on specific events
  • Cron jobs
  • Customized config files for router services
  • LED control
  • SSHD

They make my AC56U terrifically more useful and extensible. It's no brainer to flash merlin over stock.

Didn't realize most items on the feature list are still exclusive to asuswrt-merlin. The following features are essential to me:
  • User scripts that run on specific events
  • Cron jobs
  • Customized config files for router services
  • LED control
  • SSHD

They make my AC56U terrifically more useful and extensible. It's no brainer to flash merlin over stock.

SSHD is something that Asus added in the recent weeks to the stock firmware (albeit it's not a very good implementation, as it forces you to expose SSH to the WAN - hello, constant logging attempts from bots!), so that's one item that will get moved to the list of past features.

I always prefer Merlin. However, I am using the latest Asus FW for the 87U as it has updated 5ghz drivers on it, which merlins version currently does not.

When a new merlin comes out with the updated drivers, Ill be back to merlin.

I have an RT-N66U and the latest MERLIN runs circles around the latest ASUS build. The ASUS build was a bit buggy and would sometimes crash when I was changing things on the wireless settings. SO far the MERLIN is rock solid and even seems to run smoother overall. Thanks!! ;)

I always prefer Merlin. However, I am using the latest Asus FW for the 87U as it has updated 5ghz drivers on it, which merlins version currently does not.

When a new merlin comes out with the updated drivers, Ill be back to merlin.

Do you see significant speed improvements on that driver?