What's new

CUSTOM/FORK RMERLIN FIRMWARE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
** YES MASTER! ** - RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Wed Dec 24 15:30:37 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66U-50F0:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep ccode
pci/2/1/ccode=Q2
size: 52522 bytes (13014 left)
pci/1/1/ccode=US
admin@RT-N66U-50F0:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep reg
wl0_mcast_regen_bss_enable=1
ddns_regular_check=0
wl_mcast_regen_bss_enable=1
wl1_mcast_regen_bss_enable=1
lan_wps_reg=enabled
ddns_regular_period=60
wl_wps_reg=enabled
wl0_reg_mode=off
wl1_reg_mode=off
wl0_wps_reg=enabled
lan1_wps_reg=enabled
wl1_wps_reg=enabled
regulation_domain=US
pci/1/1/regrev=39
regulation_domain_5G=Q2
pci/2/1/regrev=2
wl_reg_mode=off
admin@RT-N66U-50F0:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep country
wl0_country_code=#a
wl0_country_rev=0
wl_country_code=
wl1_country_rev=0
wl_country_rev=2
wl1_country_code=#a
modem_country=
admin@RT-N66U-50F0:/tmp/home/root# nvram show | grep power
Ate_power_on_off_ver=2.4
wl_txpower=100
wl0_txpower=100
Ate_power_on_off_enable=0
wl1_txpower=100
admin@RT-N66U-50F0:/tmp/home/root#

I am actually in the UK but changed from EU to US when I did the CFE update.

nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=#a
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
nvram set pci/2/1/regrev=0
nvram set wl_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl_txpower=youchoose
nvram set wl0_txpower=youchoose
nvram set wl1_txpower=youchoose
nvram commit
reboot

Thank you.

I set
nvram set wl_txpower=101
nvram set wl0_txpower=101
nvram set wl1_txpower=101

So in the gui this translates to 101% but 101% of what? Presumably some baseline power level.

Also I see one setting is 2.4, another 5g, whats the other?

Good question :)

Thank you.

I set
nvram set wl_txpower=101
nvram set wl0_txpower=101
nvram set wl1_txpower=101

So in the gui this translates to 101% but 101% of what? Presumably some baseline power level.

Also I see one setting is 2.4, another 5g, whats the other?

The 'wl_' value is used by the gui (it's a 'working' copy of either wl0 or wl1 depending on what band you are working with).

As for the other question, 101% of what, I'm going to take another attempt at tracking it down after the holidays. Here's another related post I made...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=155668&postcount=393

How do you clean nvram?

Flash it and clean your nvram and reset to defaults, then see the output of those:

nvram show | grep ccode
nvram show | grep reg
nvram show | grep country
nvram show | grep power

Quick questions from a fairly new user: How does one clean the router's nvram? How/where do you enter the code mentioned above? I have an RT-N66U loaded with Merlin's 374.49_2. Where can you enter code in the web ui?

Thanks all!

Quick questions from a fairly new user: How does one clean the router's nvram? How/where do you enter the code mentioned above? I have an RT-N66U loaded with Merlin's 374.49_2. Where can you enter code in the web ui?

Thanks all!

I think the was once a page that allowed you to run command-line executables through the GUI, but I think it was removed.

Regardless, finding a telnet/SSH client (Google "PuTTY") is easy and following the commands posted by trusted sources is reasonably safe and straight-forward.

To clean the nvram on your RT-66U, connect via telnet/SSH then execute "mtd-erase -d nvram", the command will take a few seconds to complete. Once that command completes, manually power-cycle (by pressing the power button, pulling the power cord, or initiating an EMP near a vital nexus of your local power grid). You could also "Reset to default" in the Administration tab, which is nearly the same and easier.

After rebooting and reconfiguring the requisite security details, reconnect to the previously mentioned telnet/SSH console and run the nvram commands you're interested in.

Disclaimer: All this tweaking may give you only "seat of the pants" placebo improvments. If you have a working wireless network with no obvious problems, you may not want to fix something that ain't broken. Though, there has been at least one documented case where "turning it up to 11" yielded legendary results. ;)

Rock on, my friend.

CLEAN/ERASE NVRAM

- mtd-erase -d nvram (MIPS) or mtd-erase2 nvram (ARM) via SSH/Telnet.
or
- Pressing WPS botton without releasing before power on the router and keep it pressed for 5-10 seconds after.
or
- Pressing RESET without releasing before power on and you will see POWER LED blinking after, go to http://192.168.1.1 (bootloader recovery) and press the option ERASE NVRAM.

You must powercycle after clean your nvram, if you reboot instead there's a chance of cache content be copied once again to flash.

After, with router powered on you can then press RESET button for 5-10 seconds without releasing it or RESTORE/FACTORY DEFAULT via WEBUI.

Last edited:
5 GHz: disabled

using your firmware i get this
2.4 GHz: 49°C - 5 GHz: disabled

its same on 1 AC68u on cfe 1.0.1.6
and on 1 AC66u on cfe 1.0.1.4

works fine on my ac68u on cfe 1.0.1.8
and ac87u cfe 1.0.3.2

im wanting to use your firmware for the unlocked TX power but have dropped back to Rmerlins FW
also i did try all 3 of the fw's u released with the same result

i dont really want to start flashing the cfe either incase i use the wrong one or something goes wrong and i brick the routers.

You need to clean your NVRAM after flashing my FW and reset to defaults.

Read IMPORTANT NOTE on the first post.

Same to:

Thanks, tried earlier on RT-AC68U 1.0.2.0EU, a little bit confusing.
But managed get it working I think, at least according to nvram.
but all of the sudden 5G dissapeared "in the air"

GUI:Wireless - General and Wireless - Professional both =OK
But
Tools - System Information
Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 48°C - 5 GHz: disabled - CPU: 72°C

My test was when this thread was unreachable so back to Merlin_376.49

Last edited:
Since a quite a while I 'always' "mtd-erase2 nvram" and "[Restore] Factory default" in GUI.
((both before and after flashing and yes I know :) ))
Thereafter nvram-restore-2014nnyy-MACn.sh and powercycle and checking.
((reboot comes up with diff result every time, with my USBdev's))

Most properbly I did this when I flashed then too.
But I will test CUSTOM/FORK376.49_4 later when SWMBO is away.

TIA

......Same to:.......

Hi, i think you missed my previous post:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=155458&postcount=5

My FWs changes are "only" those 50 package updates, power & channel unlocking and a custom MOTD, nothing more.

Only???? #LOL. :D

This is the best firmware for my RT-N66U I have ever had the chance to use. I unlocked all channels and powered up transmission like I wanted, without messing up with CFE (even if I'll do it sooner or later). ;)

Everything is working perfectly, and the updated packages are a plus, even though the best thing for me is the channel/power unlocking features.

Thank you so much for your work, you've done a fantastic job in putting this firmware together. :)

I'd be really interested in how all this was managed without faffing about with the CFE and risking creative a brick.

HNY to you all.

DrT

After flashing the FW you need to CLEAN NVRAM and RESET TO DEFAULTS, you can change after your needed NVRAM values, they will not be reverted anymore to the original CFE values.[/B]

Does this mean one has to update with later versions of this modded firmware or can one use Medrlin's or even (shudder) stock Asus ones?

Does any one know what the CMD is to reset the nvram for the ac87u as its not the same as it is on all the others or is it a case of doing it via the wps button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!