What's new

Cut the cord and need more performance and features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Genericuser1

New Around Here
Hello everyone, I’m a noob as far as routers and networking goes, I currently have a Linksys N900 which works well enough and I never really thought too much about it. Recently we have cut the cord and with my children nearing teenage years my internet usage and networking needs have exploded so I’m looking to increase performance and range.

If I had the ability I’d just run a number of cat cables around the house but that isn’t an option. The cable modem and router are in a corner of a finished basement and overall signal strength it pretty good through most of the house. With the higher demands of video and game streaming by multiple devices simultaneously I’m in the market for a new router in the next several months.

I’m seeing a number of recommendations for the older Asus 68U with Merlin 3rd party firmware. I’d like to detail some of what I’m looking for and describe what I currently have connected and ask for some recommendations by people with a lot more networking knowledge. I’m not tied to any particular router or brand. I do want AC as a few devices in house use it.

Functionality I’d like (not even sure if this is common or impossible):
  • I’d like to prioritize certain services so gaming and video streaming over other tasks (I can see Asus routers do this)
  • Either have built in or the ability to use opendns (looks like Merlin for Asus routers do this)
  • Ability to see every device or service on the network and its history. For things like tablets, computers and smart phones what websites they have visited.
  • Ideally it would be nice to be able to review any data sent over wifi but that probably isn’t possible ot at least no through the router.
  • Virus or malware protection. My pc’s have anti-virus but none of the families smart devices do.
  • Ability to block file types like executables from being downloaded (probably done at the client level machine but thought I’d ask)
Here are the types of devices and services that are being used:
  • 2 PCs
  • 4-6 handheld devices (tablets, smart phones, gaming)
  • 5 streaming devices, roku, fire tv, Tablo
  • Gaming systems Ps3, XB1, Wii U, Shield TV
  • VOIP
  • Smart tv’s
Above all else it needs to be stable. My current router lacks range and functionality but it is rock solid and now with so much relying on it I need that same level of stability in whatever new router I get. I’d also like to keep it under $250.

Depending on the specific model you choose, an AC class router should offer you benefits above your current setup.

But thinking that it will be under $250 is what everyone wishes for too.

If the 1GHz versions of the RT-AC68U don't live up to your expectations and the RT-AC3200 doesn't either, then your only sane choices are the RT-AC5300 or the RT-AC3100 or the RT-AC88U.

But the key is that one or more of the above routers will need to be tested in your environment to determine if they will work in your specific network setup.

With your time frame of a few months before this purchase needs to be made, I would strike the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC3200 from your list (older models).

But the good news is that the other routers mentioned (w/ RMerlin firmware, of course) should be a little cheaper by then.

I would still recommend doing a multiple cable run (at least enough to populate all the ports on the router, including the WAN port) to the center of the area (in 3D) to be covered by the WiFi. The cost will be well worth the difference it will make to the WiFi network use.

No consumer router is going to have packet inspection built in for malware / AV and file blocking. You need a UTM for that.

Getting your router centrally located will help. I'd try a pair of HomePlugAV2 adapters between your modem and the WAN port of the router if your ISP service is below 100 Mbps down. This will let you move the router where you want it.

To maximize bandwidth use, it will help a lot to put lower class (1x1 / AC580 / N150) devices on one band. If you have any G devices, they will REALLY kill your bandwidth.

If the slower devices aren't dual-band, consider getting two routers, using the second as an AP, connected via Ethernet to the first. Think of this like a poor man's AC3200 (tri radio), but better because you get four radios, two each 2.4 and 5 GHz.

AC1750 routers can be had for around $100. Also consider factory refurbs to keep cost down.

Don't fall into the one honkin' big $400 router marketing trap. This is a game that is running out of steam. Today's homes like yours have Wi-Fi loads equivalent to small businesses, except worse with continuous streaming loads. In the end, multiple radios with proper channel management are the way to go.

No consumer router is going to have packet inspection built in for malware / AV and file blocking. You need a UTM for that.

Getting your router centrally located will help. I'd try a pair of HomePlugAV2 adapters between your modem and the WAN port of the router if your ISP service is below 100 Mbps down. This will let you move the router where you want it.

To maximize bandwidth use, it will help a lot to put lower class (1x1 / AC580 / N150) devices on one band. If you have any G devices, they will REALLY kill your bandwidth.

If the slower devices aren't dual-band, consider getting two routers, using the second as an AP, connected via Ethernet to the first. Think of this like a poor man's AC3200 (tri radio), but better because you get four radios, two each 2.4 and 5 GHz.

AC1750 routers can be had for around $100. Also consider factory refurbs to keep cost down.

Don't fall into the one honkin' big $400 router marketing trap. This is a game that is running out of steam. Today's homes like yours have Wi-Fi loads equivalent to small businesses, except worse with continuous streaming loads. In the end, multiple radios with proper channel management are the way to go.

Thanks I knew this would be the place to ask. I’d want to keep the main router where it is so I can have a number of devices (my gaming PC, Tablo and VOIP) connected via Ethernet. This also gives it close proximity to a number of other devices like gaming consoles.

Adding another router connected via homeplug would be a good idea. If I were to do that how is the second router set up? As an extender? Access point?

I’d like to get the features in the Asus 68u or higher so I’d likely place that where my Cisco router is now. Would it be best to buy another Asus router for the extender/access point or would the Cisco and Asus routers work together without issue?

I know routers have multiple bands but how do you put certain devices on certain bands? Do you need multiple SSID’s? I assume I’d have to check the specs on every device in the house (even my bed has wifi) to see if they a G, N or AC?

I read through those articles and a couple more, I didn't see an explanation of how you would have particular SATs on particular bands. I did see in another article where you can specify say 2.4ghz as only handling G and 5ghz handling N so if you had a newer device it would connect to the 5ghz spectrum and of course the older device would connect to 2.4 as that is all it could handle anyway.

For my setup I'll stick with one SSID for all channels as the router and AP will be at opposite ends of the home and on different floors.

I have not changed my existing router channel for either 2.4 or 5 and there are multiple detectable SSID's in my neighborhood (Single family homes). I'll have to download a tool and see what channels are in use and change mine accordingly. Perhaps that will help until I can overhaul the system?

You direct dual-band STAs to 2.4 or 5 GHz by using different SSIDs, i.e. SSID-2, SSID-5, and only authentication for the desired SSID.

Changing channels can help. But it's not just a matter of counting # of SSIDs on a channel. You could have many SSIDs, but most of them idle or with light traffic. But a single SSID that is constantly streaming video would be more of a problem because it would eat up a lot of airtime.

Unfortunately, none of the Wi-Fi Scanner programs will tell you channel usage. For that, you need more specialized (and expensive) tools, or know how capture and analyze Wi-Fi packets.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!