What's new

D-Link DWA-140 USB Wireless NIC not active

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WebMaximus

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a problem with a D-Link USB wireless NIC or actually not with the NIC itself but rather that it appears it won't establish a connection with the router until you logon to Windows and this is a problem for me since I often access my computer from remote locations and sometimes I need to restart it but after the restart I can't access my computer anymore since the USB NIC won't be active until someone logs on to the computer again.

I guess maybe this is just the way Windows (Vista Ultimate) behaves..that it won't load/activate any USB attached devices until someone logs on to Windows.

Does someone know if this problem can be solved so the USB NIC will be activated even though no one logs on to Windows?

Thanks in advance!

Vista is a bit strange with Wireless, as it's the last service to load. If you're like me, and log in as the PC boots up, it will still be loading, however it /should/ load before, with enough time (Assuming all of the information is sved to the system for the wireless). I use ActiveDirectory for my home network, normally my laptop run's on Cached login info.

I do know however when I uhh... /deleted/.. my login messing with exchange, it noticed right after I started it to log in (Without it being on, or around while I was deleting my account..). So that tells me that it will probe for login info via wireless, as such it has to be on if given enough time.

I would suggest turning it on, giving it a bit, then trying to ping the PC. I use Vista Bus. which souldn't be to much differnt that Ultimate in that aspect, however you never know.

Thanks for your answer however in my case the USB NIC doesn't seem to load without first logging on to Windows no matter how much time I give it. I also see on the little led on the USB NIC that it's all dark until I logon to Windows and then afterwards it starts flashing.

Hmm...guess I'll have to dig a little bit deeper into this and see if I can convince Windows to load my NIC without first logging on.

Thanks anyway!

After looking at a few of my resources, I found something that might help. If you're using a connection manager from Dlink, try to use the windows built-in instead, Vista doesn't load those apps until you're logged in.

Most wireless NIC's will work once you have the driver installed, so it should work. I've never been a fad of the apps that come with most wireless adapters, as they seem to cause more problems than they're worth.

After looking at a few of my resources, I found something that might help. If you're using a connection manager from Dlink, try to use the windows built-in instead, Vista doesn't load those apps until you're logged in.

Most wireless NIC's will work once you have the driver installed, so it should work. I've never been a fad of the apps that come with most wireless adapters, as they seem to cause more problems than they're worth.

+1, the manufacturer's apps usually cause more problems than they solve.

I too have run into this before personally where the PC wont connect until you're logged in. It's a real bummer. But, a couple things you might try. First, you can always set windows to auto-login with a particular account (even if it's password protected), so that might be an option for you depending on your setup. Also, you might be able to edit Windows' services and have wireless-zero perhaps start before user-login? I've never tried doing that before with wireless but I'm sure theres 'some' way to have it connect first.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!