What's new

dd-wrt for RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all. I followed the instructions on page 1 and flashed my ASUS RT-AC87R to 26446. Seemed ok at first, but then I have discovered that my 5Ghz network drops and I have to reconnect my laptop to the 2.4 then back to the 5.
I have Comcast and an ARRIS TG862 Modem/Router in bridge mode.

Also, the WAN led light shows what looks like the red light is solid and the blue is flashing giving it a pinkish purple color.

I'm not sure I have my settings right. All I did was flash it then set my SSID for both 2.4 and 5, wireless security. Pretty much left everything else alone for now.

Anyone have any advice or could send me the basic configuration settings? I find it odd that my operation mode is Gateway, not Router. This is the only way it works.
the light is normal with dd-wrt
reset to factory defaults and try again, but the light is normal and no 2.4 ghz light either.

Thanks dfran1. I have reset to factory defaults, but the Operation Mode is still Gateway. This may or may not be an issue. It just seems that the Comcast router is just a modem at this point since it's in bridge mode. I would think the ASUS would need to be a router, no?

I really am looking for some guidance on the overall settings. Not trying to do anything too fancy, but have issues with the Xbox frequently and just overall continuity of connections. If I could get this working well, my son will think I am the best mommy!

Thanks dfran1. I have reset to factory defaults, but the Operation Mode is still Gateway. This may or may not be an issue. It just seems that the Comcast router is just a modem at this point since it's in bridge mode. I would think the ASUS would need to be a router, no?

I really am looking for some guidance on the overall settings. Not trying to do anything too fancy, but have issues with the Xbox frequently and just overall continuity of connections. If I could get this working well, my son will think I am the best mommy!

My first post in this thread has wifi settings and stuff. use the wifi settings,
you should have internet access, follow my first post and turn on UPnP
from there I think you should be good.

if wifi issues try the 29574 1-20-2015 version from here to see if your problem goes away.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

Thanks. I actually have it printed out in front of me. Should the wireless mode be AP on both? It's from step 13 on that I am struggling with.

Thanks. I actually have it printed out in front of me. Should the wireless mode be AP on both? It's from step 13 on that I am struggling with.
11A and 11B
A is for the 2.4 ghz
11B is for the 5 GHz
follow what I put in there in those steps and you should be good
don't forget to turn on UPnP

I may have found a fix for us in asus firmware tho, still testing.

Is there anything else you change, I do not get open nat (I would like to)
BUT I am down to 3 seconds now, that is a major WOW and online play is like wow.

Is there anything else you change, I do not get open nat (I would like to)
BUT I am down to 3 seconds now, that is a major WOW and online play is like wow.
Outside of the defaults....on the WAN Page - I use OpenDNS Family DNS servers (208.67.222.123 & 208.67.220.123), and set DHCP Query Frequency to Normal. UPNP Allowed internal & external port range set from 1 to 65535. All options are Enabled on the NAT Passthrough page. LAN Switch Control Page - NAT Acceleration and Spanning Tree Protocol are disabled. NAT Loopback on the Firewall Page is Disabled. Short Preamble, DTIM Interval @ 1, and Beacon Interval @ 50 on both wireless bands. All USB Applications are Disabled.

Ok, because the 3.0.0.4.378.51_newqtn has newer Quantenna firmware driver.
It also fix the VLAN1 loop issue "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address"

the firmware solve 5G band issue? like drop internet connection, etc... i remember Merlin's 378.51 has not newer QTN firmware driver, where can i download the firmware you mentioned?

the firmware solve 5G band issue? like drop internet connection, etc... i remember Merlin's 378.51 has not newer QTN firmware driver, where can i download the firmware you mentioned?

Hi,

You will found the firmware here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin
Click on the RT-AC87U folder and then click the Experimental folder. download the RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378.51_newqtn.zip file.
You should to a factory reset before installing this firmware, and i also used to do a factory reset after finish installing the firmware.

Before installing firmware:

- factory reset
- Let the router boot up
- Install new firmware
- Reboot the router
- Do another factory reset
- Let the router boot up, then start add your settings manually. Do not use restore from previous firmware

Hi,

You will found the firmware here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin
Click on the RT-AC87U folder and then click the Experimental folder. download the RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378.51_newqtn.zip file.
You should to a factory reset before installing this firmware, and i also used to do a factory reset after finish installing the firmware.

Before installing firmware:

- factory reset
- Let the router boot up
- Install new firmware
- Reboot the router
- Do another factory reset
- Let the router boot up, then start add your settings manually. Do not use restore from previous firmware

i got it, thank you~

No, I like to code and test. It is stable now though. "BrainSlayer" may build a new revision of dd-wrt within 2 days.

Do you feel this NEW version of Merlins build is better than the current DDWRT? Does DDWRT and this new Merlin build have the same wireless drivers?

CC

I built asuswrt-merlin 378.52_alpha2 if someone want to test it for RT-AC87U

Download
trying now
I had a hard time getting a WAN lock at first, but it may have been related to me not turning on the cable modem in time.