What's new

"Default gateway is unavailable" - constant disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

metaprogressor

New Around Here
Hi,

Couple days ago out of sudden I started experiencing constant disconnects of my D-Link DWA-182 Wireless AC adapter.

It happens every 10-15 minutes. In the middle of browsing the pages stop loading and exclamation mark appears on wireless signal strength in tray.

Network_Connection_Icon_Yellow_Exclamation_Mark.png

If I right click on it then I see "Limited connectivity" in front of my SSID. I right click on wireless indicator icon again and choose "Troubleshoot problem". Windows runs fix and tells me that problem was "Default gateway is unavailable".

TroubleshootNet.jpg

After repair it works for another 15 minutes and then problem reappears.

I use 3.0.0.4.354.27 build, Windows 7 x64, Ipv6 is disabled, modem connected to router through Cat6 patch cable, tried different wireless G adapter with no luck. Tried Linksys E4200, still the same.
Problem happens when either automatic or manual ip is selected in adapter settings. MS Security Essential antivirus, no third party software were installed. Tried all fixes and patches from online (about 10-15 of them) like flushing DNS, resetting TCP/IP, reinstalling wireless adapter drivers, resetting routing tables, 6to4 tunneling fix, etc.

Anybody has the same issue? Never ever I had such a hard time with computer since 1996. My next step will be reinstalling Windows. But before that I would like to find what the hell happened...

If you get the yellow triangle without actually losing the wireless connection, then there's a good chance the issue is with your modem or your ISP. When you lose Internet access see if you are still able to ping your router's IP. If you still can, then I would talk to your ISP about the issue, unless you have a spare modem you could try to swap.

If however you are unable to ping your router, then there's a good chance the issue is with either the OS, or the USB port where you plug the wireless adapters. Try using a different port. If your PC has ports both in front and in the back, try the ports in the back - these are more reliable since they don't have to go through an internal cable to reach the actual connector. Some cases have pretty poorly shielded internal cables to connect to the front ports.

I would just like to mention that I consistently get this problem as well.

My Wireless card is built in. I have a Samsun NP700Z5C-SO1US.

It's happened only since I've had the RT-N66U.

I am also getting this problem. If I watch the router it seems it is rebooting itself. I am running 354.28 merlin build.

This problem has only been occurring while I am playing dota and using skype. At all other times it works without a hiccup. If I plug directly into the modem I will have zero issues.

I had a similar issue, i would lose connection to the router, my ip address would revert to auto detect. It was like dhcp was dropping out. Anyway after many hard reboots of the router and ringing the supplier to RMA it, i decided to install the asus official beta firmware over the merlin. Since then it has been rock solid..... go figure. I was running the earlier merlin firmware without any issues.....

I will give the beta firmware a shot if this continues to give me a problem. I did play some dota last night with zero issues but I wasn't on skype.

I also disabled the wireless scheduler since I have no reason not to have my wireless on 24/7.

so either:

A. Skype has been causing me issues
B. The wireless scheduler was causing a problem
C. It randomly felt like working last night

This has by far been my best router. I have 100/100 fiber and love being able to use the full speed over my gs4. I just need to iron out this small issue.

Have either of you set static DHCP reservations for the computers you're having issues with?

I've set a static DHCP reservation for the machine I am having the issue with. I will test it again without the reservation to see if I encounter the same issue.

My problem magically disappeared after I bought Wireless-AC bridge Linksys WUMC710. Finally!!! No changes to router or firmware. Just works.

WUMC710_Photo01.jpg

I tried 3 different USB sticks before purchasing this WUMC710 and they all failed. Netgear couldn't connect to 5Ghz network at all, Linksys just died in 2 days of use, D-Link had constant disconnects.

Even the speeds I'm getting now through WUMC710 at www.speedtest.net are 20% higher than on those USB Wireless-AC adapters.

I'm not sure what so wrong with all these wireless-AC USB sticks. May be their antennas not that strong for constant 24h torrents upload/download, or the power through USB port brings limitation to implementation of solid constant connection. The WUMC710 has dedicated power supply and connects straight into my gigabit ethernet port. It has 3x3 antenna array and online rewiews and tests show that it has better throughput then two RT-AC66U.

wumc710_char-100011415-orig.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!