What's new

Delayed push notifications Asus RT-AC68U - HTC Desire S

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skidmarks

New Around Here
I recently replaced my old Linksys router with the new Asus RT-AC68U and with the new router the push notifications from Gmail and WhatsApp are delayed on my HTC Desire S phone. It can take up to an hour before I get the notifications.

With the old Linksys router and my phone I got the notifications instantly. I still get the notificiations directly when I'm on a different wi-fi (at work for example). My wife has an iPhone 5 and on her phone the push notifications work correctly with our new Asus router.

So it seems to be that the combination of the AC68 router and my HTC Desire S is the problem somehow. I already tried to install the PNF No-Root app on my phone and changed the android heartbeat to 5 minutes, but that did not fix the problem.

I'm running the latests firmware (3.0.0.4.376_1663) and I'm basically running with the default settings.

Any suggestion what I could try to fix this?

Did you maintain the same SSID and WPA passphrase when you switched to the AC68? If so wipe the wireless profile from your phone and reconnect.

I did use the same ssid and passphrase. I wiped the wifi profile from my phone and reconnected, but the problem is still there.

I enabled a guest wifi network on the router with a new ssid and password and connected my phone to that network, but the problem is still there.

Turning on the "Best wifi performance" setting on the phone in the advanced wifi settings seems to fix the problem. Although that might seriously increase battery consumption. I'll leave it on and we will see what happens.

Last edited:
Enabling "Best wifi performance" significantly increases battery consumption, the phone won't last a day this way. So that's not a solution unfortunately.

I can only offer a few random things to try:

Try turning off Universal Beamforming, it is on the professional tab of the Wireless page.

I would also set Preamble Type to short, I doubt that has anything to do with your issue but it should help performance a tiny bit.

You could also try messing with other settings, I have never had them appear to do anything but I have never had a phone with delayed push notifications either.

e.g. enable these?
Optimize AMPDU aggregation
Optimize ack suppression

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm having the exact same issue.
Doesn't matter what android phone I use, I still get delayed notifications.
I turned off the firewall and put the router on DMZ to see if it was a
blocked ports issue but the problem remains.
We have a Samsung, HTC and Motorola phones at home with all Lollipop.

Any suggestions?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!