What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running Wireguard on a desktop might be roughly three times faster than OpenVPN (maybe), but I have yet to see a consumer router that can achieve a that kind of improvement, at best it seems to approach double the speed. Still impressive, but not the same.

Just to double check and confirm the above, so the best WG VPN speeds on todays routers (Ie Asus top end ones)
You could see roughly 400Mbps speeds?

Gl.iNet claims 550 for their AXT-1800 travel router. On Openwrt 21.02 (i.e., definitely without WG in the kernel) there is a Youtube vid demonstrating around 375/48 on a 750/50 connection. Thats a IPQ6000 1.2GHz Quad-core processor.

Just to double check and confirm the above, so the best WG VPN speeds on todays routers (Ie Asus top end ones)
You could see roughly 400Mbps speeds?
Perhaps I'm loosing track (as I don't have the Latest & Greatest) but I thought the number was closer to 350Mbps.
To simplify the understanding... to use Wireguard on these BROADCOM based Asus Routers, Flow Cache is disabled, which basically handicaps the Max speed possible for all clients connected to the router.
If you have an ISP-connection which is GREATER than 300+Mbps... You would be limiting "ALL" your connected devices to this lower throughput.
Note: Flow Cache is one of two Hardware Acceleration's utilized but FC is required to hit the higher (300+) speeds.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm loosing track (as I don't have the Latest & Greatest) but I thought the number was closer to 350Mbps.
To simplify the understanding... to use Wireguard on these BROADCOM based Asus Routers, Flow Cache is disabled, which basically handicaps the Max speed possible for all clients connected to the router.
If you have an ISP-connection which is GREATER than 300+Mbps... You would be limiting "ALL" your connected devices to this lower throughput.
Note: Flow Cache is one of two Hardware Acceleration's utilized but FC is required to hit the higher (300+) speeds.

That's my understanding as well. Does disabling Flow Cache also limit LAN speeds?

That's my understanding as well. Does disabling Flow Cache also limit LAN speeds?
Yes. My AX88U uses Runner, which I believe will not work with Wireguard ever.

Yeah been out the loop so just wanted to double check, the earlier pages did mention around 400Mbps I think, so perhaps 350 but Gl.iNet says or claims? 550 which is mighty impressive, I am just having a look at the YT videos now.

Gl.iNet claims 550 for their AXT-1800 travel router. On Openwrt 21.02 (i.e., definitely without WG in the kernel) there is a Youtube vid demonstrating around 375/48 on a 750/50 connection. Thats a IPQ6000 1.2GHz Quad-core processor.

thanks, never knew of such a company or product I just watched a few YT vids and this looked like it would be just my ticket, one german user here showed 370+ speeds which is very great and it looks even more simpler to set up being a one click and done system.

I was thinking where is the catch otherwise this GI.iNet router would be replacing many Asus routers surely if its this cheap and WG VPN being potentially 550Mbps faster, then I noticed the catch.... can't see no VPN device routing ability. Would need some devices to be WAN otherwise can't watch Cable TV.

Back to square one, was so close!

I think of the GL.iNet family as supplemental but not replacing my Asus routers. Their MO is to leverage the Openwrt software with their own skin and then match it up with a bunch of different chips and special situations, like travel routers and industrial applications. Their software development team is almost as active as Merlin. :) You might look at the new Brume 2 for edge computing and some other devices in the 21.02/03 versions which have VPN policy routing and claimed speed in the 300+ range. Maybe downhill with the wind at their back. But for a SOHO router AsusWRT Merlin is the place to be. OT.

thanks, never knew of such a company or product I just watched a few YT vids and this looked like it would be just my ticket, one german user here showed 370+ speeds which is very great and it looks even more simpler to set up being a one click and done system.

I was thinking where is the catch otherwise this GI.iNet router would be replacing many Asus routers surely if its this cheap and WG VPN being potentially 550Mbps faster, then I noticed the catch.... can't see no VPN device routing ability. Would need some devices to be WAN otherwise can't watch Cable TV.

Back to square one, was so close!
FYI, GL.iNet support VPN policy (and with more features still in their beta firmware 4):

I have replaced my Asus with the new Slate AX as my main router and have not yet looked back.

I think of the GL.iNet family as supplemental but not replacing my Asus routers. Their MO is to leverage the Openwrt software with their own skin and then match it up with a bunch of different chips and special situations, like travel routers and industrial applications. Their software development team is almost as active as Merlin. :) You might look at the new Brume 2 for edge computing and some other devices in the 21.02/03 versions which have VPN policy routing and claimed speed in the 300+ range. Maybe downhill with the wind at their back. But for a SOHO router AsusWRT Merlin is the place to be. OT.
FYI, GL.iNet support VPN policy (and with more features still in their beta firmware 4):

I have replaced my Asus with the new Slate AX as my main router and have not yet looked back.

thanks that is great to hear!

I may have to replace my AC86u, I see they have a home router called Flint (GL-AX1800), 500Mbps with WG VPN, with policy routing in the beta that sounds perfect for me as a basic user that just wants the WG VPN speed. Looks like the Slate AX might be a tad faster in WG but I like the extra ports on the Flint, will check some reviews out, cheers again.

thanks that is great to hear!

I may have to replace my AC86u, I see they have a home router called Flint (GL-AX1800), 500Mbps with WG VPN, with policy routing in the beta that sounds perfect for me as a basic user that just wants the WG VPN speed. Looks like the Slate AX might be a tad faster in WG but I like the extra ports on the Flint, will check some reviews out, cheers again.
Maybe we should get back to Asuswrt-merlin development discussion people.

I’m with elorimer on this. I have a Slate AXT for travel and I‘m patiently hanging out for Wireguard on the RT-AX86U (Merlin, I know ASUS already have a 388 version) which I have together with two ‘meshlings‘ at home, to connect between them.

Watching this thread to see how it’s all developing, exciting times actually, with various devices complementing each other. Past threads suggest the same.

k.

Last edited:
If you want to talk about a competitors router do so by starting an appropriate thread, not by hijacking this one, please.

If you want to talk about a competitors router do so by starting an appropriate thread, not by hijacking this one, please.
This is inarguably correct. But a key part of this development thread is the integration of WG into Merlin and, for that matter, into a router. There is significant activity in the router space on this topic. Merlin has given us a particularly well informed and non-intuitively-obvious perspective already on this in this thread already. I am no longer convinced WG is the obvious way to go, even though I bought an ax88 on that basis. But I think what other manufactures are doing, and how actively interested users are reacting to that might offer some perspective that might be useful in development.

My post refers to both Routers including the reason (Wireguard) for the interfacing between them, which I see as an integral part of any testing of ASUS Merlin FW. I therefore politely disagree with your comment insofar as it relates to my post.

BR

k.

Well I can confirm that Dual WAN failover to a tethered Android phone works, I just used it during an ISP-wide outage.

1666850985120.png

As for now, almost 2 days withtout a single crash (rock solid) for AX882U*2 +AX56 AiMesh.

Seems latest Alpha came through and stabllizied the system indeed.

Trying to re-enable IPv6 and check the system stabillity with IPv6

Nice work!!!

think this will be ready by Christmas break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!