What's new

Development update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Here's a quick rundown on what's going on recently development-wise:

OpenVPN:

The past two weeks have been spent implementing OpenVPN and writing a complete webui to manage it. While the OpenVPN code itself comes from Tomato (reused with its original author's permission), the webui had to be created from scratch, and that part alone took many days of development (and shorter sleep nights than usual :) ). I am sticking to all the same features (and actually same descriptions as well) so people can refer to any of the numerous Tomato tutorials out there explaining how to configure OpenVPN. Just like Tomato, Asuswrt-Merlin will accommodate up to two server instances and client instances.

Note that OpenVPN is nowhere as simple to use as PPTP is. However PPTP has been recently shown to be vulnerable to attacks, so I think it's time people start looking at this for a more secure alternative. And Asus's coming AiCloud will also allow add another secure alternative for people who need remote access to their LAN.

If all goes as planned, I'm hoping to have test builds available this weekend (N66U and AC66U - sorry N16 owners, but OpenVPN is very nvram-hungry. Look at optware for a possible disk-based alternative.)

VPN Status page:

While developing the OpenVPN webui I also added a VPN Status page, which will cover not only OpenVPN but also PPTPD, displaying a list of currently connected PPTP users.

AiCloud:

AiCloud is still in its late stages of betatesting at Asus. Once Asus releases it to the public (along with up-to-date code), I will tackle re-basing Asuswrt-Merlin on the newer code, and start releasing with AiCloud enabled. So fear not, there might be a few days of delay between Asus's release and the integration into Asuswrt-Merlin, but it will be there sooner than later.

Simmering

A few other things are at various stage of development, like an openssl upgrade and NFS support, or fleshing out documentation on the Wiki. It's too soon yet to tell if/when these would be actually implemented, but work has started on these.

And after that...

Once the next release (xxx.16) is out, the release following that (xxx.17) will focus on bug fixing, keeping with my established plan of alternating between new features and bugfixing releases.

Thank you every one for your continued interest and support in this project!

+1

You're doing an excellent job Merlin, keep up the great work!!! Ive been running 178.15 and it's been pretty much rock-solid so far :)

Great Job! - you have made my N66U a great experience.

Feature request:
Is there a chance to configure the WAN connection to flip to ie. USB/3G based on a pingable IP address? - My problem is that my router is connected to a bridge from my ISP and even though it has lost connection to the internet the WAN on my N66U is still up so it wont flip to my 3G/USB connection.

Br, Harvad

Great Job! - you have made my N66U a great experience.

Feature request:
Is there a chance to configure the WAN connection to flip to ie. USB/3G based on a pingable IP address? - My problem is that my router is connected to a bridge from my ISP and even though it has lost connection to the internet the WAN on my N66U is still up so it wont flip to my 3G/USB connection.

Br, Harvad

The Dual WAN is still being heavily developed by Asus, and changes with each new version they release. Therefore I'd rather not touch it, or I would have to start all over again with every new release.

It would be nice to have an option (stored in NVRAM) somewhere in the settings to use wol binary or ether-wake on a WOL UI. Because there are times when the wol binary for some reason can not wake up the specific network adapter, but ether-wake can. Apparently, there is a difference in the generated "magic packet".

Last edited:
It would be nice to have an option (stored in NVRAM) somewhere in the settings to use wol binary or ether-wake on a WOL UI. Because there are times when the wol binary for some reason can not wake up the specific network adapter, but ether-wake can. Apparently, there is a difference in the generated "magic packet".

Should be doable, tho the WOL feature that will come with AiCloud will be ether-wake based.

Merlin,

Many thanks for your outstanding work. Nirvana for me will be once you do integrate AiCloud into your work. :cool:

I am using the Beta version of 3.0.0.4.208 right now as I have solved the issue I had with the Android client constantly crashing on my HTC Thunderbolt each time I tried to use it. That was very infuriating and I was at a loss as to why it was happening or what to do to try and resolve it. :mad:

I simply go into the Settings/Applications/Manage applications page, select AiCloud and then select the "Clear data" button in the "Data" section. This resolves the AiCloud app constantly crashing issue that I was having so I can finally play with it. :)

You sir are a God among us mere mortals. Or at the very least, you are an angel sent to us by God. I suggest that we, the users of your firmware, construct a "golden calf" so that we might properly worship you. :D

Last edited:
I am using the Beta version of 3.0.0.4.208 right now as I have solved the issue I had with the Android client constantly crashing on my HTC Thunderbolt each time I tried to use it. That was very infuriating and I was at a loss as to why it was happening or what to do to try and resolve it.

I got newer versions from Adam late last week as they needed some additional testing done under Jellybean. You could try contacting him to get the latest Android app version to ensure it's still working properly for you.

You sir are a God among us mere mortals. Or at the very least, you are an angel sent to us by God. I suggest that we, the users of your firmware, construct a "golden calf" so that we might properly worship you. :D

Your check is in the mail. :)

May we ask for a 3.0.0.4.220.RMerlin? ;) :D

You have the right to ask anything you want.

And I have the right to either acknowledge it, or ignore it.

Ain't freedom of speech a nice thing? :D

On a more serious note - no sign of the GPL on their FTP site yet.

Wake On Lan

Merlin ... first of all ''THANKYOU''
Asus should support your work it is very appreciated.
The only reason for me to buy this router was because i stumbled across your firmware the wake on lan fuction and VPN function caught my eye.

But i have a small problem i dont really know if its a bug actualy.
If i select a target PC or Server and i add it in the wake on lan client list.
I get three boxes like

12:12:21:MAC - WAKE
/a - Wake
/a - Wake

It looks a bit strange is it a bug or can i fix this myself or am i just a noob and is this the way it should be lol.:D

Thanks for your hard work man !

Attachments

• Merlin.PNG
    Merlin.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 397
Merlin ... first of all ''THANKYOU''
Asus should support your work it is very appreciated.

They are. ;)

The only reason for me to buy this router was because i stumbled across your firmware the wake on lan fuction and VPN function caught my eye.

But i have a small problem i dont really know if its a bug actualy.
If i select a target PC or Server and i add it in the wake on lan client list.
I get three boxes like

12:12:21:MAC - WAKE
/a - Wake
/a - Wake

It looks a bit strange is it a bug or can i fix this myself or am i just a noob and is this the way it should be lol.:D

Thanks for your hard work man !

For some reason, sometimes the list of WOL clients gets some unwanted HTML tags in it. You will have to clear it out by going to the Run Cmd page, and running these commands (one after another):

nvram unset wol_list
nvram commit

Once cleared, try re-adding your devices to the list.

Unfortunately I have been unable to reproduce it, but so far two persons encountered that problem.

Unfortunately I have been unable to reproduce it, but so far two persons encountered that problem.

Found it. Some stray HTML tag that Google Chrome was cleaning up for me, so it didn't show here. I was able to reproduce it when I switched to IE. Will be fixed in the next build.

Last edited:
They are. ;)

For some reason, sometimes the list of WOL clients gets some unwanted HTML tags in it. You will have to clear it out by going to the Run Cmd page, and running these commands (one after another):

Once cleared, try re-adding your devices to the list.

This works awsome ! Thanks for the workaround merlin

Shutdown Servers ( Web Gui )

Hi merlin sorry for asking so much, but i was wondering if it is possible to remote shutdown computers with the Asus RT-N66U.
If it is could it be built in the webgui and is it possible for me to set it up.
Could you point me a step in the right direction ?

Sorry for my bad english:eek:

Hi merlin sorry for asking so much, but i was wondering if it is possible to remote shutdown computers with the Asus RT-N66U.
If it is could it be built in the webgui and is it possible for me to set it up.
Could you point me a step in the right direction ?

Sorry for my bad english:eek:

Can't be done, since there is no "standard" way to remotely turn off a computer. Also, it will vary between each OS.