What's new

DHCP Manual Assignment with AI Mesh Node Fails on Chromebook

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abracadabra11

Regular Contributor
I have several devices using a DHCP manual assignment, only one of which is portable (Chromebook). Whenever I turn the Chromebook on when within range of the AI Mesh Node (RT-AC68U), the Chromebook fails to connect. From the Main Node's (RT-AX3000) logs, I can see that a DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPOFFER message are present, so there's nothing there to indicate an issue with the router setup. But I can't really parse the communication between the Main Node, AI Mesh Node, and the Chromebook separately. Notably, if the device is in range of the Main Node, the connection occurs properly and will maintain even when moving to the AI Mesh Node's coverage area.

Has anyone run into a similar problem?

The workaround I'm using is manually setting the IP address in the Chromebook's settings to match the DHCP manual assignment on the router.

I'll check to see if similar behavior occurs on other devices (Android) and perhaps a completely different architecture (Windows OS).

** UPDATES **
1. Tested with Android 11 device and functionality worked properly. Connected and assigned proper manual IP while in range of AI Mesh Node.

Last edited:
You might try the 386.1 beta 2 Merlin. Has AiMesh 2.0 which works better than 1.0.

You might try the 386.1 beta 2 Merlin. Has AiMesh 2.0 which works better than 1.0.
I'll definitely consider it if it turns out to be an AIMesh problem. But not confident that it is just yet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!