What's new

Did Asus pull support for the RT- AC56U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jontalk

I just went to the download page at the Asus site and the only files they had (3 total) were recovery and other things but not a single listing for firmware. Last I checked there was a new version in beta but now there's nothing listed.

Anyone know what the deal is?

That is weird. I would think they would leave some firmware on their site. Oh well, there is always Merlin FW.

True but honestly I find the AsusWRT to be more stable and have no need for the advanced features of Merlin.. I'm thinking maybe it's just a hiccup in their servers so will monitor regularly.

There were a few posts from last week that mentioned all firmware was moved to 'other'.

This is just Asus cleaning up their directory structure, I assume.

I just looked. They are in the "Others" OS option like the other routers.

Pretty weird if you ask me.. Looks like the latest version is still in beta too..

No, nothing weird. The latest is usually the beta (if not the alpha). Just the nature of releases.

Consequences? I logged into the router and it automatically installed the update.. Works great!

Not only do I not have issues, but for the first time since purchasing this router, all I had to do was click on the firmware version and it downloaded and installed the latest release. I've yet to have any issues with Asus firmware though I did notice that the latest version does not support third party. So I have to assume L &LD was referring to this in his response though I have no need for Merlin since my use is pretty basic. Regardless I'm a happy camper y'all, LOL

Ignore at your own risk.

lol what risk !!! seriously sometimes you are like chicken little and the sky falling

there is no inherent risk in installing 380 fw plus , the firmware will go on as it always has , 3rd party will go on as it always has with limitations to wifi which isnt a bad thing , life will go on as it has and there will be no mass extinguish due to these changes , this is not the end of the world as we know it

Not only do I not have issues, but for the first time since purchasing this router,

the n56u was a good solid little router and remain so
Looks like the latest version is still in beta too..

its been a while since they released fw for the n56u 2015/04/07

not sure we will see a 380 plus fw for it or if its finished support wise , its still listed as a new product but it may be there isnt a lot left they can do for it with its limited cpu and ram etc

lol what risk !!! seriously sometimes you are like chicken little and the sky falling

there is no inherent risk in installing 380 fw plus , the firmware will go on as it always has , 3rd party will go on as it always has with limitations to wifi which isnt a bad thing , life will go on as it has and there will be no mass extinguish due to these changes , this is not the end of the world as we know it

That is the point. We do not know the risk at this point.

I'm not stating the sky is falling and I never have. I'm just pointing out that going into something with your eyes open is better than thinking that this is just another firmware you can change your mind about.

embrace the future as there is no choice unless you want to be left behind , asus have made a commitment to continue their relationship with the 3rd party world and i look forward what comes

the n56u was a good solid little router and remain so

its been a while since they released fw for the n56u 2015/04/07

not sure we will see a 380 plus fw for it or if its finished support wise , its still listed as a new product but it may be there isnt a lot left they can do for it with its limited cpu and ram etc

I think the OP has a AC56 not a N56 (going by thread title).

Words of wisdom - if your setup is working fine - and the update doesn't do anything you need - might be best to leave things alone...

Might get into a situation where an update totally breaks things - esp. on AsusWRT where folks can go under the hood to tweak things.

embrace the future as there is no choice unless you want to be left behind , asus have made a commitment to continue their relationship with the 3rd party world and i look forward what comes

As am I (looking forward to what comes). The difference is that (as sfx2000 also states), updating to locked firmware at this point on an otherwise working setup is not the best advice either. The future, we will embrace whether we want to or not, sooner or later. Deciding that 'today' is the day we start playing with alpha firmware is not embracing the future. It is rolling the dice with the odds stacked against you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!