What's new

Disable / enable aicloud sync-jobs from shell/ssh/telnet/script?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hexabion

Occasional Visitor
Hello again,

I visited the subpage of aicloud on my N66U today, findind alot of interesting sync-jobs one could set up via the GUI for syncing via ftp, samba, dropbox etc, which is wonderfull indeed, exept for one thing:
I would like to shut down the sync-jobs on daytime, running them only in a window of maybe 4-5 hours in the middle of the night, thus I would need to shut it down /start it again via a looping/running script or a cronjob.

Does anyone have experience, knowledge with this, basically what the actual running processes are, and if its sufficient to just kill/stop/start them, or do they need commandline parameters / conf-files for each job etc like smbd, minidlna and transmission does? (I know scripting / cronjobs, know how to implement it structure-wise, I just dont know the commands/processes behind the syncing / aicloud services).

Any help is very much appreciated, and a million thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read this.

Hello again,

I visited the subpage of aicloud on my N66U today, findind alot of interesting sync-jobs one could set up via the GUI for syncing via ftp, samba, dropbox etc, which is wonderfull indeed, exept for one thing:
I would like to shut down the sync-jobs on daytime, running them only in a window of maybe 4-5 hours in the middle of the night, thus I would need to shut it down /start it again via a looping/running script or a cronjob.

Does anyone have experience, knowledge with this, basically what the actual running processes are, and if its sufficient to just kill/stop/start them, or do they need commandline parameters / conf-files for each job etc like smbd, minidlna and transmission does? (I know scripting / cronjobs, know how to implement it structure-wise, I just dont know the commands/processes behind the syncing / aicloud services).

Any help is very much appreciated, and a million thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read this.

I would recommend to first see if the sync process, basically, works well with regards to your needs. I think that the code used for these features is "closed", therefore it is quite difficult to change the behavior.

In fact this is the main reason why I finally decided to build a more complex but more solid solution based on Rsync, and wrote a tutorial:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...c-through-a-SSH-tunnel-between-2-Asus-routers

Depending on your expertise, it could be difficult to implement, or easy if you are used to work with a ssh terminal emulator. When implemented, it works alone and inform daily the users of the results.

Thank you for the information. I read your excellent tutorial on rsync two days ago. I think its not that I don't have the knowledge to set it up, but more a matter of - knowing myself - patience and time.

I will read the tutorial once more, this time more carefully, to decide if it's something I shoud embark on.

I will also try to look a bit at top/ps when enabling/disabling those services, and see where that brings me.

I was perhaps thinking of plain password-protected samba in a script i'll make if I can't figure out the ai-sync services on the recieving router, where I then "ping" two watch-folders every 5 minutes ("sync-now", and "sync-tonight" <- or something like that), so if i drop something in the "sync-now" folder in my router, it will immediatly be moved to that other recieving router, and if the files are in the "sync-tonight", well - i'll leave up to imagination what that last one does :)

PS: The link you posted to rsync-tutorial just leads to "GutHub create new page" on my end, so I went to your thread about it here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21677 but there too the tutorial-link leads to "create new page", If its not just on my end, I hope for your sake that you made a backup of that tutorial somewhere :(

Thank you again.

Last edited:
[...]

I will also try to look a bit at top/ps when enabling/disabling those services, and see where that brings me.

Tell us what you find.

PS: The link you posted to rsync-tutorial just leads to "GutHub create new page" on my end, so I went to your thread about it here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21677 but there too the tutorial-link leads to "create new page", If its not just on my end, I hope for your sake that you made a backup of that tutorial somewhere :(

Thank you again.
Thanks. You are right. The url is: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Transfer-(sync)-a-backup-to-a-remote-location-using-Rsync-through-a-SSH-tunnel-between-2-Asus-routers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!