What's new

enable IPv4 over LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

micahs

New Around Here
Our setup: Starlink (business) w/public IP => passthrough ISP router => ASUS RT-AX88U Pro w/ Merlin

Computers on the WIFI have IPv4, but not IPv6.
Computers on the LAN have IPv6, but not IPv4.

LAN devices are visible from WIFI devices on the same network

We would like the LAN devices to function like the WIFI devices: to have an IPv4 address that can be mapped like a network drive.

The ipconfig for both are snipped below - most (if not all) settings are default on the router.

LAN ipconfig
1714425066309.png

WIFI ipconfig
1714424937880.png

Is the Merlin firmware causing this issue?
The way I read your post it seemed that was what you were suggesting. If that wasn't the case then perhaps you were asking how to configure a network adapter in Windows?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I suspect its my ignorance in networking combined with the Starlink modem in passthrough w/ a publically routable (though dynamic) IP address.

The router seems to be assigning IPs - but it can't see the wired connections, which only have an IPv6 address.
The wireless connections are working as expected, with IPv4 addresses - and the ability to see the LAN devices on the network.

Can you take one of the working Wi-Fi devices (like a laptop with an ethernet port) and plug it into one of the Asus' LAN ports? Does that work properly?

Check that the network adapter in Windows is configured as a "private network" and not a "public network".

Computers on the WIFI have IPv4, but not IPv6.
This statement is incorrect according to your screenshot.

Last edited:
Can you take one of the working Wi-Fi devices (like a laptop with an ethernet port) and plug it into one of the Asus' LAN ports? Does that work properly?

Check that the network adapter in Windows is configured as a "private network" and not a "public network".

This statement is incorrect according to your screenshot.

Tried plugging in the laptops which receive the IPv4 over WIFI into the router LAN port, and it establishes an IPv6 address with no IPv4. (before and after below)

1714512419526.png

1714512345361.png

Attachments

• 1714512410706.png
    1714512410706.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 3
I could be wrong but I thought I read that Starlink connections are IPv6 only. What are the laptop's internal IP addresses from ipconfig /all?

How is IPv6 configured on the Asus router?

On the Asus' Network Map > Internet status: what information do you see?

Can you check that the cable from the Starlink device is plugged into the Asus' WAN port and has not been accidentally plugged into a LAN port.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I thought I read that Starlink connections are IPv6 only. What are the laptop's internal IP addresses from ipconfig /all?

@ColinTaylor - Starlink is a bit odd, but considering rate plans, they are dual-stacked, and can offer a public facing IP. That being said - even w/IPV6 and PD (they generally offer a /56) is that things change there all the time.

@micahs - What happens with the Starlink terminal directly, as it does support WiFi...

You may not need the Asus router...

How is IPv6 configured on the Asus router?

On the Asus' Network Map > Internet status: what information do you see?

Can you check that the cable from the Starlink device is plugged into the Asus' WAN port and has not been accidentally plugged into a LAN port.

Is the Merlin firmware causing this issue?
The reason the thread should be in the Asuswrt-Merlin section is because the router is running that firmware, and your solution may change depending on whether you run stock firmware or Asuswrt-Merlin.