What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know what its like in the US but here in Australia, as you would know, electronics blown out by surges is very common. I lost a $3K iMac to a surge. But it was covered by insurance so not all bad.

The more I learn about Switzerland the more it sounds like a great place.

Also, is it advisable to make a backup of the USB Drive? I have spare 32GB drives.

For sure. You’re problems have prompted me to re-do my backup and to make sure it’s ext4, and to double check the master is ext4.

For sure. You’re problems have prompted me to re-do my backup and to make sure it’s ext4, and to double check the master is ext4.

I'm lucky the USB Drive didn't die also. I'll back the drive up and do the same as you're doing, check both are ext4.

I don't know what its like in the US but here in Australia, as you would know, electronics blown out by surges is very common. I lost a $3K iMac to a surge. But it was covered by insurance so not all bad.
Consumer power lines are run underground here, except to some solitary settlements where burying is too costly.

Not sure if I am right but just out of curiosity, in C12, options 3 and 5, is safe a typo? Should have it been 'save'? Ignore me if I am drunk :)

Not sure if I am right but just out of curiosity, in C12, options 3 and 5, is safe a typo? Should have it been 'save'? Ignore me if I am drunk :)
It's safe to say that you saved my day :D
Thanks.

Everything's grounded, earthed, well done to code at my place. Power strip surge protectors are seldom used in Switzerland. I have none in use.
I did have them while living in the US and Australia. I think I got one US protector somewhere. Might use that if it's compatible volt wise.
All of my network sits behind high quality surge protectors, and most of it behind battery back-ups at least large enough to allow a graceful shutdown. I live in the greater los angeles area, and while we rarely have lighting, with all the power being on poles, we have short interruptions of a second or so roughly every year due to some moron plowing into a power pole and the system having to route around the outage.

after installing diversion, the CPU load on the AC86U, went above 50% for both cores. Same after rebooting the router. Disabling diversion same.

Killing the process

1391 1 admin S 3772 0.8 1 7.3 {diversion} /bin/sh /opt/bin/diversion ash_history

fixed the problem. (this process was still running after disabling diverson)

Is this an install bug? what is this process for?

after installing diversion, the CPU load on the AC86U, went above 50% for both cores. Same after rebooting the router. Disabling diversion same.

Killing the process

1391 1 admin S 3772 0.8 1 7.3 {diversion} /bin/sh /opt/bin/diversion ash_history

This is sorting your shell command history. Shouldn’t normally cause any issues. You can try to delete the file at /jffs/.ash_history to see what happens afterward.

Does anyone have the urls for Reddit ads? I'm noticing they're still showing up on the Desktop webpage.

Did you try:

nslookup www.reddit.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I got:

Code:
xxxxx@RT-AC86U-1960:/tmp/home/root# nslookup www.reddit.com
Server:    127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain

Name:      www.reddit.com
Address 1: 151.101.201.140

I was after the actual Reddit self hosted ad servers (if that makes sense). All other Ads on Reddit are blocked, its just their own hosted Ads that come up in the feed.

This is what I got:

Code:
xxxxx@RT-AC86U-1960:/tmp/home/root# nslookup www.reddit.com
Server:    127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain

Name:      www.reddit.com
Address 1: 151.101.201.140

I was after the actual Reddit self hosted ad servers (if that makes sense). All other Ads on Reddit are blocked, its just their own hosted Ads that come up in the feed.

You can't get rid of the ads hosted on the same host as the website via Diversion AFAIK. Because it is a domain-based blocker and if you want to block those ads you will never see again the website ;)
You can use ad-block in your browser or similar apps to get rid of those leftovers.

You can't get rid of the ads hosted on the same host as the website via Diversion AFAIK. Because it is a domain-based blocker and if you want to block those ads you will never see again the website ;)
You can use ad-block in your browser or similar apps to get rid of those leftovers.

Of course, what am I thinking. I thought they had seperate addresses. But of course they would just end in reddit.com, I assume.

Yeah, I'll just enable NoScript on the page and approve the ones I need and block the others.

Thanks!

Killing the process

You can reset or disable the shell history, use sh, it's in the o options menu.
I'm not sure what happened there, maybe the function was run twice at the same time. Let me know if it happens again.

Diversion 4.0.7_beta1 is now available for enthusiastic testers

What's new in Diversion 4.0.7_beta1
Code:
- Changed reboot procedure when required during install, inconsistencies and bugs fixed
- Fix with better logic that will allow to continue Diversion install in case of:
    - Port 443 is in use by other process than AiCloud
    - Allow to install Diversion Standard even if port 80 is listening on 0.0.0.0
- Added check for incompatible /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add entries  
- Use of /jffs/scripts/unmount to unmount Swap file, Diversion and Entware services when ejecting the USB device through the WebUI
- Added domain count for white, black and wildcard blacklist in UI
- In b, Find domain in hosts file(s) now escapes domain names for search results accuracy
- Adjusted list of available pixelserv-tls switches (-o is deprecated)
- Reworked Edit Lists el code. It's still a monster, with no options removed. White, black and wildcard-blacklisting should be 100% accurate now for primary and secondary blocking list (if sf and Alternate blocking list is enabled)
I am very interested how good the new unmount function works. See the discussion webgui - "Eject USB Disk" fails for the reason why /jffs/scripts/unmount was added.

How to participate as beta tester
Copy and paste the complete install command below into your favorite SSH Terminal, then press Enter.
Diversion 4.0.7 has been released, see this post for the changes.
Thanks to all testers for participating, see you next time around!

To return to the latest stable release version, copy and paste the complete install command from the Diversion website.

Last edited:
Unmount function appears to work great -- exactly as described (and as expected from @thelonelycoder). I "removed" the USB drive via the web GUI -- both Diversion and Skynet were unavailable. Simply reinsert the drive, and everything is back to normal!

Brilliant ... as usual :) - upgraded and threw everything I could at the beta - passed all with flying colours.
MOST significantly ... the Webgui "Eject Disk" works properly for the first time with Diversion installed.

Really Happy Camper here - many thanks @thelonelycoder.

I'll report back in due course as to whether the beta has any impact on the runaway slu count in pixelserv-tls caused by Samsung Android phones perpetually calling Google services which are blocked for advert and or telemetry purposes by Diversion. I doubt it as it is not really a Diversion or pixelserv-tls "issue" - but rather a lurgy in Samsung Android phones I suspect.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!