What's new

DLNA Media Server not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dazz87

Occasional Visitor
Hi

For some reason I can't seem to get the DLNA to work on my RT-N66U. DLNA is enable on the router but when I use a third party app I can't see any of my files that are on my Samsung 2tb drive that is plugged into my router. I try reboot router and also removing the drive and re mounting it. Under Media Server page it show the media server status as Idle. how could I force it to re scan the drive? I am running Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24. Drive is NTFS Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
Hi !

What App are you using ? I use 8player and, sometimes, the software does not find my drive too. So, i just turn my iPad off and on and it goes back to work again. Maybe it is an App bug ...hope I helped.

Bye.

Hi

For some reason I can't seem to get the DLNA to work on my RT-N66U. DLNA is enable on the router but when I use a third party app I can't see any of my files that are on my Samsung 2tb drive that is plugged into my router. I try reboot router and also removing the drive and re mounting it. Under Media Server page it show the media server status as Idle. how could I force it to re scan the drive? I am running Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24. Drive is NTFS Any suggestions? Thanks

One way to force a re-scan is to remove and re-add the drive and then re-define the DLNA path in the UI.

I found that using NTFS I had problems with file index updates and it only really worked 100% all the time once I formatted it in EXT3.

One way to force a re-scan is to remove and re-add the drive and then re-define the DLNA path in the UI.

I found that using NTFS I had problems with file index updates and it only really worked 100% all the time once I formatted it in EXT3.

I had similar problems, but with a usb flash drive. Everything started working fine once I formatted it to ext2.

I have the same problem. Using a WD 2TB NTFS drive with RT-N66U 3.0.0.4.354.
It can pick up a few files seemingly picked at random, but never all the files (viewing via Samsung TV and Windows Media Player on 2 PC's).

Also tried rebooting and remounting numerous times but no luck, the router always says 'Scanning...' and goes back to showing /tmp/mnt as the media server directory.

Haven't been able to use it properly since buying it a couple of days ago :(

I have the same problem. Using a WD 2TB NTFS drive with RT-N66U 3.0.0.4.354.
It can pick up a few files seemingly picked at random, but never all the files (viewing via Samsung TV and Windows Media Player on 2 PC's).

Also tried rebooting and remounting numerous times but no luck, the router always says 'Scanning...' and goes back to showing /tmp/mnt as the media server directory.

Haven't been able to use it properly since buying it a couple of days ago :(

Try with only a smaller subset of media files first. If one of the files is corrupted, it can cause the minidlna scanner to crash. That scanner isn't very robust. If that's the case, you will have to isolate which file is causing the problem.

Update: Looks like its working again.......I went in and delete the old minidlna folder and then create it again but this time it start scanning the drive right away. For some reason my ._var, ._admin_var and ._folder_list get delete somehow. These files were on my drive about two weeks ago and this past weekend (when I started having this DLNA issue) they were gone. What is causing these files to disappeared?

I found another thread about someone else with a NTFS drive having the same issue. Just like the other guy I am also moving new files to my drive.

Last edited:
Try with only a smaller subset of media files first.

Thanks Merlin! I put it to scan just my Videos folder and it appears to have picked them all up.
I have no idea where to start trying to find one single corrupt file that may be causing the issue, any tips?

Thanks Merlin! I put it to scan just my Videos folder and it appears to have picked them all up.
I have no idea where to start trying to find one single corrupt file that may be causing the issue, any tips?

Add more folders until you find a folder that breaks the scan. At that point just add one file at a time from that folder until you find one that breaks the scan.

3.0.0.3.155 DLNA better than 3.0.0.4.372.1393

I was using 3.0.0.112 firmware for a year now with generally good results on DLNA capabiliy. I decided to upgrade to the latest 3.0.0.4.372 version. The SAMBA sharing was rock solid and I didn't pick up any cross-linking errors. However the DLNA scanning always got stuck somewhere in the middle on an external drive that never gave problems before. A chkdsk on the NTFS system showed it is flawless and closer inspection of the folder where it gets stuck indicated no corrupted files. I then downgraded the firmware back to 3.0.0.3.155 (I still have a download stored - no longer available on ASUS support site). The 3.0.0.3.155 version again gives me flawless DLNA scanning all the way to the end, on the same NTFS external drive. I also get good results on 5 GHz streaming, except for HD .m2s files that get a bit jerky.

DLNA shares not showing up

Add more folders until you find a folder that breaks the scan. At that point just add one file at a time from that folder until you find one that breaks the scan.

@RMerlin,

Sorry for the noob question, where exactly does the firmware let you remove and add one folder at a time to check and resolve the problem of DLNA share not showing up ?

i.e. in the foll locations ? is it NFS Exports ?
asus1.jpg

@RMerlin,

Sorry for the noob question, where exactly does the firmware let you remove and add one folder at a time to check and resolve the problem of DLNA share not showing up ?

i.e. in the foll locations ? is it NFS Exports ?
View attachment 2027

It's not through the webui. You will have to share that folder over SMB, then remove the folders over Windows file sharing, or plug the USB disk to a computer and do the same thing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!