What's new

Do you consider cloud storage like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc a backup solution.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That can be said for any company. That's why I do not use anyone. Like I said before, I've seen ISPs go bankrupt along with other companies, and other companies change or delete their services and screw everyone.

I thought we were considering backup solutions. If I buy a hdd or an NAS, as an example, I don't care if the company goes out of business (too much), as long as the hardware continues working.

If I throw money at something intangible like 'cloud', I get what I deserve.

comcrap had backup, personal storage, and webspaces. Up to 7 accounts at 10GB each. They deleted them last year, and failed to send many people emails. I don't know of any company that makes HDD going out of business. I had a 250MB tape drive on my 486DX and it was slow and loud. I only used it a few times before selling it a year later to some old guy. I was 16. I've never lost data, but 2 HDD have died.

I think you missed my point. I don't consider 'cloud' a backup solution in the least.

I think you missed my point. I don't consider 'cloud' a backup solution in the least.

Have you ever lost any data in the cloud or reputable sites like DropBox?

Amazon's cloud services (AWS) are generally considered to be very reliable, capable, and innovative. Netflix is ran completely on AWS now, iirc.

The buzzword "cloud" is ... annoying, but virtualized, distributed systems are here to stay and cannot be dismissed as easily as you seem to do.

I think the lesson here is choose your "cloud" providers with a bit of care...

Last thing most folks want is an email suggesting that "we're going down" and you might get a bit of time to migrate your data...

As 1GBit internet connections become more common (I think I have 100/8 even in my rural area), I personally will be migrating most of my bulk data (static files) the cloud. Because of scale, services like Backblaze and AWS EC2 will be cheaper and safer (re. dataloss with static files) than what a standard home user can get with a $1000 NAS.

Also, follow the 3 2 1 backup rule if the data is important. If you only had 1 backup, that's your fault... :)

Always have a layered backup strategy....

And totally green with envy - nice to have a 100Mbit broadband connection when needed... I'm in the sub-50 Mbit ghetto, so online backup needs to be very specific, esp when my upstream is 5Mbit at best...

Always have a layered backup strategy....

And totally green with envy - nice to have a 100Mbit broadband connection when needed... I'm in the sub-50 Mbit ghetto, so online backup needs to be very specific, esp when my upstream is 5Mbit at best...

Yeah. Most of the stuff I would upload would be unwanted videos that I encoded with ffmpeg (for ~24 hours). I can always convert them again, so they are replaceable at a cost, but if I could off-load them (half of my ~2TB of storage) for free, I will.

I can upload ~7GB a day; your 5MBit can do ~50GB. With proper traffic-shaping, I can upload 24/7 and barely notice any difference in day-to-day surfing. Whether it is worth it or not... :confused:

@L&LD Think of free, maybe unreliable storage (like the 10TB from QQ) as an alternative to deletion, kinda like the Recycle Bin. Also, to clarify, my primary concern with regard to premium cloud services/backups is data loss rather than availability... I would say local storage wins from an availability perspective.

QQ, the Chinese chat program / Tencent offers 10TB? Better hope they're not storing it all on counterfeit SanDisk thumb drives. I stopped using QQ and my Qzone years ago. I found out about it in 1999 and created a Qzone in 2005 when it launched. When I studied in China, all the girls wanted my QQ number, but at the time the name was copyrighting on ICQ and I gave them that number instead. A woman I chatted with on another chat program signed me up for QQ, but she paid for that account and then did not renew it, so I lost it and had to get a new one. If you have a lucky QQ number you can sell it.

And from reading some comments on that storage, the contract is sketchy. And it appears you need a mobile phone # to sign up. And if you're using the English version of QQ, it lacks a lot of features the Chinese version has, and the program is also sketchy with support. https://www.facebook.com/QQInternational
Did I forget to mention fraudbook is banned in China, along with Google, and boobtube?

And when I used their English app for Linux years ago, it was garbage. No features and kept crashing. They all use Windows, since every copy is pirated.

HAHA.. after just checking all this out, it looks like the link is dead to the English version, but I found another one http://download.imqq.com/?from=mainland and the 10TB is down to 1 or 4TB.

Last edited:
Have you ever lost any data in the cloud or reputable sites like DropBox?

Amazon's cloud services (AWS) are generally considered to be very reliable, capable, and innovative. Netflix is ran completely on AWS now, iirc.

The buzzword "cloud" is ... annoying, but virtualized, distributed systems are here to stay and cannot be dismissed as easily as you seem to do.

Having multiple NAS devices, larger and larger hdd's and ssd's and throwing in one more local backup (with an offsite feature) makes cloud junk easily avoidable and dismissed for myself and many customers. The difference? I pay for the hardware in advance rather than pay to infinity (I'm sure they'll find a way to keep charging even after someone dies).

Yes, I have lost data from the cloud (icloud, onedrive and dropbox too). One strike from each. Done. Forever.

Netflix? That is not data. That is mind control (as is any other 'television' network).

Yes, I have lost data from the cloud (icloud, onedrive and dropbox too). One strike from each. Done. Forever.

Really? I never read anything about these services losing data, but I may have missed it. Regardless, if you had a bad experience, I understand.
Netflix? That is not data. That is mind control (as is any other 'television' network).

From a customer perspective, Netflix uses Amazon's cloud services to store over 10 petabytes of data.

I dunno. I guess my confusion stems from criticizing the "cloud" when it's such a generic term. I think your criticism actually lies with the reliance on any outside/internet-based service, like using Netflix rather than a local Plex server, or Steam vs a physical disk... that criticism I fully understand.

I've seen every video on the internet, and I have to say I'm disappointed. Seriously, why pay for netflix or hulu when you can just pirate it, which I have been doing since the 90s.

Lost data? I lost all my damn emails from msn when those asshats upgraded their email. They also had file storage, which they deleted like comcrap. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE with your data. I was on fraudbook in 2005, and they deleted some of my early messages, and wall posts when they updated and installed the news feed in 2006.

Last edited:
I've seen every video on the internet, and I have to say I'm disappointed. Seriously, why pay for netflix or hulu when you can just pirate it, which I have been doing since the 90s.

Because it does not scale?

I enjoy Netflix, but I also pay for it because I like the company and what they are doing. Have you seen their tech blog? They share some awesome, in-depth articles about their infrastructure, which, as a service that is responsible for a huge amount (~30%+?) of total internet bandwidth, is very interesting.

I haven't owned a TV for about 10 years, and only seen a few movies. Not much worth watching. I just pirate any video or show I want. I don't read many tech articles anymore either. Used to read Computer Shopper a lot when I was a kid. More interested in www.internet2.edu

I haven't owned a TV for about 10 years, and only seen a few movies. Not much worth watching. I just pirate any video or show I want. I don't read many tech articles anymore either. Used to read Computer Shopper a lot when I was a kid. More interested in www.internet2.edu

I always chuckle a little when someone brags about "not having a TV", yet they download TV shows.

I am a vegan, but I often participate in big-game hunting trips... ;)

I don't need to pay for cable AND internet. A lot of people have "cut the cord", with high speed internet and netflix, for those who don't know how to pirate. I really haven't watched any TV shows in the last 10 years, except Family Guy and Game of Thrones. Not really a great show either.

I don't need to pay for cable AND internet. A lot of people have "cut the cord", with high speed internet and netflix, for those who don't know how to pirate. I really haven't watched any TV shows in the last 10 years, except Family Guy and Game of Thrones. Not really a great show either.

I'll halt my infinite criticisms to your seeming trollery and only say; watch "True Detective".

Also maybe "The IT Croud".

That is all.

PS - Stop pirating.

I thought we were considering backup solutions. If I buy a hdd or an NAS, as an example, I don't care if the company goes out of business (too much), as long as the hardware continues working.

If I throw money at something intangible like 'cloud', I get what I deserve.
Using a cloud service, or flash drive in your pocket, or SDcard in your lock box, some sort of semi-off-site backup is needed for VVIP files.
Cloud as not primary backup for non-sensitive info only, is mainly useful for 24/7 passworded sharing of files. As I do on Adrive, OpenDrive and with sale going on now, iDrive.

Stop pirating, since the 90s? NEVER. Like I said, I ran a warez BBS and have been online using social media longer than probably 90% of the people on this forum. The other show I watched was Top Gear, since I am the founder and CEO of a company that deals with German cars. And their new show on amazon prime I will also pirate.

On a side note, my university has personal webspace separate from the sitemaker platform they shut down. I doubt it utilizes their 100Gb internet2 connection. But having your own website could be another solution. The sitemaker software allowed creating groups of users who could modify your pages and directories, and files could have links that expired after a certain amount of time.

Back on topic, gentlemen, or the thread will be locked.

SFX, leave forum moderation to me, please. Report posts as needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!