What's new

does asus router have auto mdi / auto mdix / auto crossover function?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chris13

New Around Here
does asus router come with auto mdi / auto mdix / auto crossover function?
i'm considering to get one, RT-AX88U or RT-AX86U

IIUC, auto-crossover is effectively required by the standard for gigabit and faster ethernet (cf wikipedia). This whole issue only matters for obsolete gear that can't run faster than 100Mbps.

IIUC, auto-crossover is effectively required by the standard for gigabit and faster ethernet (cf wikipedia). This whole issue only matters for obsolete gear that can't run faster than 100Mbps.

We use a carrier grade switch (I'd classify it more as a multi-bridge chassis since each port is configured independently and mapped to other ports manually) company called ADVA. It lets you set everything totally independently. Normally for Auto MDI-X to function you have to have auto speed/duplex enabled too. This one lets you set speed, duplex, and MDI-X totally independently (and even lets you hardcode the MDI to straight or cross, or set it to auto). Pretty sure they're breaking a few standards but the thing is flexible as hell. Can even set it to non-standard ethertypes etc.

Most true router ports still don't do auto MDI-X, only switch ports, at least on the enterprise gear. But I have seen it on a few true routers and firewalls here and there.

On the flipside have yet to see a gig switch, even the cheapest home based one, that doesn't support it, at least when set to gig/auto.

Of course if you're using a fiber SFP, you always need crossover, but assuming that isn't the case being discussed here (and swapping a fiber from straight to cross is a 5 second thing, unless its an old 100M MTRJ connector).