What's new

Wifi6->Lan performance loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Giudi001

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,
I noticed a problem of speed loss of about 150-200Mbps compared to the lan connection and I do not understand what it depends on, I explain the configuration and tests:

Modem Router Vodafone fiber (vodafone station6), ftth line at 2.5Gbps download and 500Mbps in upload.

If I connect my PC with Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz card to the WIFI of the Vodafone station and carry out a speed test, I get about 2.2Gbps in download and 500 in Up.

The Ethernet ports of the Vodafone station are all 1 Gbps, connected lan cable, Speedtest about 950Mbps.

Since the wifi of the Vodafone station is very bad, it remains off, I connected a Lan cable to the XIAOMI AX9000 router to the wan port to use the powerful and stable WIFI signal.

If I connect the PC to the ethernet port of the Xiaomi and do speedtest, same full bandwidth results 950Mbps.

If the pc (and only that) is connected to WIFI6 (fast band game) the speedtest reaches 750-800 Mbps instead of the full 950Mbps band that I should expect?

Can you tell me why?

Below AX9000 Specs:

Hardware configuration
Processor: Qualcomm IPQ8072 quad-core A53 2.2GHz
Network processing unit: Dual core 1.7GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Wi-Fi 2.4G: 4 × 4 (supports up to IEEE 802.11ax protocol, theoretical maximum rate is 1148 Mbps)
Wi-Fi 5GHz-1: 4 × 4 (supports up to IEEE 802.11ax protocol, theoretical maximum rate is 4804 Mbps)
Wi-Fi 5 Ghz-2: 4 × 4 (supports up to IEEE 802.11ax protocol, theoretical maximum rate is 2402 Mbps)
Antennas: High gain external antenna + internal AIoT antenna
Heat dissipation: Active cooling
Total ports:
1x 10/100/1000/2500 Mbps adaptive WAN / LAN port (Auto MDI / MDIX)
1x 10/100/1000 Mbps adaptive WAN / LAN port (Auto MDI / MDIX)
3x 10/100/1000 Mbps adaptive LAN ports (Auto MDI / MDIX)
LED lights: 8 lights, including system indicator, Internet indicator, network port, atmosphere light
Interface:
1x System reset button
1x USB 3.0 port
1x Mesh Net Button
1x Power button
1x Power input port
Protocol standards: IEEE 802.11a / b / g / n / ac / ax, IEEE 802.3 / 3u / 3ab

Wireless connection
Tri-band: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz-1 and 5 GHz-2
Modulation:
11b: DSSS: DBPSK (1 Mbps), DQPSK (2 Mbps), CCK (5.5 / 11 Mbps)
11a / g: OFDM: BPSK (6 / 9Mbps), QPSK (12 / 18Mbps), 16QAM (24 / 36Mbps), 64QAM (48 / 54Mbps)
11n: MIMO-OFDM: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM. Data rate: MCS0-MCS15
11ac: MIMO-OFDM: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM
11ax: MIMO-OFDM: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM, 1024QAM
Data rates: MCS0-MCS11 (supports 4 streams) .4096QAM
Data rates: MCS12-MCS13 (supports 2 streams)

Software parameters
Operating system: MiWiFi ROM, an OpenWRT-based smart router operating system
WiFi encryption: WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK / WPA3-SAE encryption, wireless access control (black and white list), SSID hidden
Management applications: Supports Web, Android, iOS

Operating environment
Operating temperature: 0-40 ºC
Operating humidity: 10% -90% RH (non-condensing)
Storage temperature: -40-70 ºC
Storage humidity: 5% -90% RH (non-condensing)

LAN connections vs. WiFi connections are not equal. Even when the WiFi is showing a faster connection (i.e. >1GbE), the LAN (1GbE) connection can be significantly faster to finish certain jobs (small files, etc.).

How far away is the computer from the router you're testing it with? What obstructions are in between the tested router and the client device?

What is the indicated connection speed?

What are the actual ISP speeds you pay for?

What speed test sites and/or utilities are you using?

Do you have any WiFi 'apps' or programs running when doing the tests? Does a reboot of the client device (and/or the router) help?

Looking at what you've provided above, everything seems in the ballpark to me right now.

If I connect my PC with Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz card to the WIFI of the Vodafone station and carry out a speed test, I get about 2.2Gbps in download and 500 in Up.

This adapter is 2-stream, up to 2402Mbps link speed @160MHz. There is no way you are getting 2.2Gbps throughput.

LAN connections vs. WiFi connections are not equal. Even when the WiFi is showing a faster connection (i.e. >1GbE), the LAN (1GbE) connection can be significantly faster to finish certain jobs (small files, etc.).

How far away is the computer from the router you're testing it with? What obstructions are in between the tested router and the client device?

What is the indicated connection speed?

What are the actual ISP speeds you pay for?

What speed test sites and/or utilities are you using?

Do you have any WiFi 'apps' or programs running when doing the tests? Does a reboot of the client device (and/or the router) help?

Looking at what you've provided above, everything seems in the ballpark to me right now.
Dear L&D,
- PC it is 1 meter from the two routers without obstacles or other...
- the connection speed indicated by the card is 2.4Gbps
- my fiber line has the profile at 2.5Gbps download and 500Mbps in upload
- for the tests I use the speedtest ookla CLI Windows, the tests were done obviously using the same server doing at least 3 speed tests.
The tests were done obviously leaving active only 1 wifi at a time, that of the router of my Vodafone ISP and then only with the wifi of my AX9000
- no program or other open, only operating system and speedtest ookla cli
- even restarting PCs and routers no improvement or anything else

I'm a computer technician, the idea I got is as if in the ethernet-wifi conversion loses bandwidth for some reason, but on paper, the AX9000 router is a bomb like Asus AX11000 is high-end Routerand I don't think

Also don’t forget WiFi is half duplex unlike Ethernet plus on top of that you share access time with other actively transmitting clients usually in a round robin fashion, (so good that you tested with single device active) .

Connection speed/ Link Rate and real world are quite different, on WiFi for best case expect like 60-70% of the link rate, in terms of real world throughput. On Ethernet on the other hand you can get pretty close to the link rate like 940-960 Mbps on a 1 Gbps link.

Testing at 1 Metre is not a valid test for modern routers. They are meant to be used at further distances. Try testing at 10' or further, for more accurate results.

Also, consider using more than one, speed testing site. Many work better for certain ISPs than others do.

Are you plugging in the Fibre line into the 2.5GbE Port on the AX9000? Is it negotiating a 2.5Gbps link speed? Does the GUI show this anywhere within, to verify it?

Have you fully reset the AX9000, and then tested everything at defaults (do not enable features or options past the defaults of the hardware)?

I notice that the AX9000 has only 3 antennae per radio. That is a limit right there.

Mi Router AX9000 - Built for Gamers - Xiaomi Global Official

If all the above doesn't help to get you the expected speeds (+ or - 10% or so) of the ISP-provided router, are you able to return the AX9000?

vvv
Il test a 1 metro non è un test valido per i router moderni. Sono pensati per essere utilizzati a distanze maggiori. Prova a testare a 10 'o più, per risultati più accurati.

Inoltre, considera l'utilizzo di più di un sito di test di velocità. Molti funzionano meglio per alcuni ISP rispetto ad altri.

Stai collegando la linea in fibra alla porta 2.5GbE sull'AX9000? Sta negoziando una velocità di collegamento di 2,5 Gbps? La GUI lo mostra da qualche parte all'interno, per verificarlo?

Hai ripristinato completamente l'AX9000 e poi hai testato tutto alle impostazioni predefinite (non abilitare funzionalità o opzioni oltre le impostazioni predefinite dell'hardware)?

Ho notato che l'AX9000 ha solo 3 antenne per radio. Questo è un limite proprio lì.

Mi Router AX9000 - Costruito per i giocatori - Xiaomi Global Official

Se tutto quanto sopra non ti aiuta a ottenere le velocità previste (+ o - 10% circa) del router fornito dall'ISP, sei in grado di restituire l'AX9000?

Hello
sorry I wanted to say 5mt from the 2 routers but the problem is another, I explain connection:

Vodafone Station (Wifi off) -> connected via 1Gbps port to the AX9000 (wifi on) via Lan cable on the WAN port.

it is obvious that the maximum speed in both AX9000 lan and ISP router is limited to 1Gbps.

If I connect lan cable to the ISP router -> speed test 950Mbps
If I connect lan cable to the AX9000-> speed test 950Mbps
If I connect WIFI AX9000 (wifi band 6)-> Speed test 750-800

I should expect full bandwidth in wifi as if I were in lan.

5 metres? That should be fine.

Yes, the 1GbE Ports will limit the LAN speeds, as indicated.

But, if the modem/ONT is connected to the 2.5GbE WAN port, you should get substantially higher speed tests than 1GbE can provide. Assuming you have properly configured the 2.5GbE Port to be used for WAN, with your modem/ONT.

il problema è:

perché in wifi non raggiungo 950Mbps come raggiungo in lan?

il problema è solo questo

WiFi is not a guaranteed (transfer speed) medium.

Did you check the settings on the AX9000 to be sure it is getting the full 2.5Gbps ISP download speeds you're capable of?

Dear all,
I noticed a problem of speed loss of about 150-200Mbps compared to the lan connection and I do not understand what it depends on, I explain the configuration and tests:

Modem Router Vodafone fiber (vodafone station6), ftth line at 2.5Gbps download and 500Mbps in upload.

The Ethernet ports of the Vodafone station are all 1 Gbps, connected lan cable, Speedtest about 950Mbps.

Since the wifi of the Vodafone station is very bad, it remains off, I connected a Lan cable to the XIAOMI AX9000 router to the wan port to use the powerful and stable WIFI signal.

If I connect the PC to the ethernet port of the Xiaomi and do speedtest, same full bandwidth results 950Mbps.

If the pc (and only that) is connected to WIFI6 (fast band game) the speedtest reaches 750-800 Mbps instead of the full 950Mbps band that I should expect?

Can you tell me why?

Below AX9000 Specs:

Hardware configuration
Processor: Qualcomm IPQ8072 quad-core A53 2.2GHz
Network processing unit: Dual core 1.7GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Wi-Fi 2.4G: 4 × 4 (supports up to IEEE 802.11ax protocol, theoretical maximum rate is 1148 Mbps)
Wi-Fi 5GHz-1: 4 × 4 (supports up to IEEE 802.11ax protocol, theoretical maximum rate is 4804 Mbps)
Wi-Fi 5 Ghz-2: 4 × 4 (supports up to IEEE 802.11ax protocol, theoretical maximum rate is 2402 Mbps)
Antennas: High gain external antenna + internal AIoT antenna
Heat dissipation: Active cooling
Total ports:
1x 10/100/1000/2500 Mbps adaptive WAN / LAN port (Auto MDI / MDIX)
1x 10/100/1000 Mbps adaptive WAN / LAN port (Auto MDI / MDIX)
3x 10/100/1000 Mbps adaptive LAN ports (Auto MDI / MDIX)
LED lights: 8 lights, including system indicator, Internet indicator, network port, atmosphere light
Interface:
1x System reset button
1x USB 3.0 port
1x Mesh Net Button
1x Power button
1x Power input port
Protocol standards: IEEE 802.11a / b / g / n / ac / ax, IEEE 802.3 / 3u / 3ab

Wireless connection
Tri-band: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz-1 and 5 GHz-2
Modulation:
11b: DSSS: DBPSK (1 Mbps), DQPSK (2 Mbps), CCK (5.5 / 11 Mbps)
11a / g: OFDM: BPSK (6 / 9Mbps), QPSK (12 / 18Mbps), 16QAM (24 / 36Mbps), 64QAM (48 / 54Mbps)
11n: MIMO-OFDM: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM. Data rate: MCS0-MCS15
11ac: MIMO-OFDM: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM
11ax: MIMO-OFDM: BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM, 1024QAM
Data rates: MCS0-MCS11 (supports 4 streams) .4096QAM
Data rates: MCS12-MCS13 (supports 2 streams)

Software parameters
Operating system: MiWiFi ROM, an OpenWRT-based smart router operating system
WiFi encryption: WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK / WPA3-SAE encryption, wireless access control (black and white list), SSID hidden
Management applications: Supports Web, Android, iOS

Operating environment
Operating temperature: 0-40 ºC
Operating humidity: 10% -90% RH (non-condensing)
Storage temperature: -40-70 ºC
Storage humidity: 5% -90% RH (non-condensing)
You lose 20% right? Change the default value '80' to '0'.

These are not bad results. Why do you say that the Vodafone Wi-F is not good?

At any rate, 2.2/2.5 = 0.88. So throughput loss is about 12%. This is due to WiFi overhead. Wi-Fi 6 frames contain a lot of management data, much more than Ethernet.

Since there is a Gigabit Ethernet connection between the Vodafone and Xiomi router, best case throughput, Ethernet or Wi-Fi, from the Xiomi will be the 950 Mbps that you report. BTW, best case throughput from 1 GbE connection is typically 942 Mbps (6%), measuring with iperf3 with LAN connection.

If we assume the 12% loss is the same, then 0.88x950=836. This is in the range that you are reporting.

Wi-Fi will never provide the same throughput as Ethernet because frame overhead is higher.

hello guys i have the chinese version of ax9000 with firmware version 1.041 i cant pair it to my mi app i tried resetting 10 times ,creating new account making country china in the app but i am able to configure the router once but cant pair it

Welcome to the forums @akkiz.

Can you use a computer to set it up? If not, maybe an RMA is in order.

Welcome to the forums @akkiz.

Can you use a computer to set it up? If not, maybe an RMA is in order.
Yes the device is perfectly working with bweb gui /computer but I wanted to put out the led lights which cannot be done from the webgui only through the app so I thought any one here has some expertise example I selected country as Chinese mainland as my router showing chinese what have you guys set in your router and in the app for it to connect

hello guys i have the chinese version of ax9000 with firmware version 1.041 i cant pair it to my mi app

- I'm pretty sure no one here has Xiaomi AX9000 router
- Search shows Chinese firmware version 1.0.165 is available

- I'm pretty sure no one here has Xiaomi AX9000 router
- Search shows Chinese firmware version 1.0.165 is available

Yes I have the latest and the greatest firmware installed the issue is mi home app cannot pair with router web gui is fine I tried older version of both router and mi app but same issue earlier it was fine wondering if my firewall blocking

Screenshot_20220906-072341_Mi Home.jpg