What's new

Dual-Band Repeaters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ERTW

New Around Here
I'm looking at filling out a dead spot near the back of my house and was wondering if there are any simultaneous dual-band routers that can act as repeaters? That is, have the 5GHz radio operate in client mode for a connection back to the main router and then the 2.4GHz radio operate in AP mode to serve the devices. Most of the repeaters that I've seen seem to use the same radio for both functions, and most of the dual band units I've seen don't seem to support this behavior (including the WRT-600N I'm currently using). I can naturally use a bridge and single-band router to do this, but I'd prefer a cleaner setup.

Look at the NETGEAR WNDR3700 and WNDR4000. Both are simultaneous dual band and support WDS.

I should clarify - I know of a few units that support WDS, but it's my understanding that that uses the same radio for both tasks. I was hoping to split the tasks up between the two radios (ie 5GHz for the trunk line back to the main AP, 2.4GHz for the clients). If WDS is smart enough to do this then it would make things much easier, so if I'm wrong on this I'd love to be corrected!

My issues largely come from interference due to neighbour's networks, so I'm hesitant to do anything to increase 2.4GHz traffic (both for my sake and theirs). The 5GHz band is clean, however many of my devices don't have client radios that can work in it. As such, I'd prefer to capture the 2.4GHz traffic locally and then relay it back via a clean channel.

I should clarify - I know of a few units that support WDS, but it's my understanding that that uses the same radio for both tasks.
It does, for repeating.

But for bridging, WDS just provides a way for two APs to form a bridged link. So the scenario you describe will work fine. Except, 5 GHz range is less than 2.4 GHz. So you may find that you can't make a good 5 GHz connection, if any at all.

I suggest you try using powerline networking to bring Ethernet to the dead zone, then add an AP there. A pair of HomePlug AV 200 Mbps adapters should bring you ~ 40 Mbps of usable throughput. See HomePlug AV Adapter Roundup.

But for bridging, WDS just provides a way for two APs to form a bridged link. So the scenario you describe will work fine. Except, 5 GHz range is less than 2.4 GHz. So you may find that you can't make a good 5 GHz connection, if any at all.

Sounds perfect - I'll look into those routers then!

As for the range, the plan is to put the repeater station in the room directly above the problem area. It's got line of sight to the main routers (rather than having to plow through a bunch of walls and a floor/ceiling), and a 2.4GHz AP 10' above shouldn't have any problems connecting to the devices through the floor.

With that said, my problem is more one of interference than it is of distance - 5GHz clients seem to be able to connect without issue in that room (not full speed, but the connection is solid). The 2.4GHz devices used to work fine there as well, but since 802.11 became mainstream and the neighbors started adding networks it's become unreliable no matter what channel I select.

I suggest you try using powerline networking to bring Ethernet to the dead zone, then add an AP there. A pair of HomePlug AV 200 Mbps adapters should bring you ~ 40 Mbps of usable throughput. See HomePlug AV Adapter Roundup.

My concern with powerline networking is that I have a home automation system that uses the A/C wiring for communication and I was concerned about interference there. Either way, I'll take another look at the technology and see if that is indeed a problem or not.

Thanks again for your assistance!

The E4200 does not support WDS.

Some products do support WPA via WDS. But it's not universally supported.

My issues largely come from interference due to neighbour's networks, so I'm hesitant to do anything to increase 2.4GHz traffic (both for my sake and theirs).
I'd be surprised if you and the neighbor can't find a way to coexist in the 60MHz of the 2.4GHz band, where there are 3 non-overlapping channels for the 20MHz mode of 11g/n. And not to be too preachy, but interference in WiFi comes from heavy air time usage rather than mere existence of neighbors' SSID. It's the "utilization factor" that matters - e.g., streaming video every night, or giant bitTorrents all the time.

Dual radio devices that do an access point on 2.4GHz and backhaul that traffic via 5.8GHz to a wired root node are commonplace in muni-WiFi and other professional cases. Not used in consumer-land for the reasons in the above paragraph, and that dual band with cross-band bridging, if you will, are costly devices as single packages.