What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U questions regarding non-NAT dual-stack

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bofh99

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

The asus rt-68u in my office has Model: RT-68U and HW version: A2 on the back, and, on the front, confusingly, AC1900 Dual Band.
It's running the official firmware : 3.0.0.4.386_51668-gc12f3e8 and master in a mesh configuration with another identical router/firmware and
a DSL-AC68U running firmware 3.0.0.4.386_50117.

The connection is a FTTP fibre 100 (presently, it might be upgraded to 900), speeds are 110Mbit down/21mbit up

The office asus is in static IP mode running NAT behind a wired router. This configuration works well.
The router doing PPPoE (the wired router) gets a /29 ipv4 and a /64 ipv6 for ND (neighbour discovery) and a /48 for the dmz/LAN.
These are routable ips (ie real ips routable over the internet, ie non-NAT)

Does the office asus have enough capability to replace the wired router, if not with this firmware then with 3rd-party firmware?
If it does have enough capability, would it also be possible to NAT one LAN port + the wireless, leaving the other
three ports non-NAT?

thanks,

Welcome to the forums @bofh99.

The 10+ year old routers you're using should be retired now. They do not have the performance requirements to power a 900 Mbps network. And even at your current ISP speeds, a new router like an RT-AX88U Pro will bring obvious improvements to your network.

Note that Asus routers are best used in /24 networks. (ie. Your wired router is 'better').

Welcome to the forums @bofh99.

The 10+ year old routers you're using should be retired now. They do not have the performance requirements to power a 900 Mbps network. And even at your current ISP speeds, a new router like an RT-AX88U Pro will bring obvious improvements to your network.
OK thanks for that. I was also considering that it would be directly exposed to the
internet. Not a good idea for soon-to-be-obsolete equipment. I now have another
router in mind (vigor 2927Lac) to get in the nearish future that'll do it. It seems with those,
individual ports can be tagged nat or non-nat. i think.

For now, the wired router will be replaced with a Fritz!Box 7530

Would you consider it still useful if the office router were only a mesh guest? i.e. not with a real ip on the WAN side,
so not directly connected to the internet.
Note that Asus routers are best used in /24 networks. (ie. Your wired router is 'better').
why would that be?

Asus home routers do not support that kind of WAN setup. While the IPv6 side of things might work the IPv4 wouldn't. The Asus doesn't support multiple IPv4 WAN addresses and doesn't do 1:1 NAT, which is what I think you're asking.

OK thanks for the clarification.
The vigor does it by having the ability to assign a vlan tag to particular ethernet interfaces, at least in part.
1:1 nat I haven't considered though. it doesn't help that manufacturers have different words it seems for
the same objective lol

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!