What's new

Edgerouter X + AP Lite or Asus RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With a 400/400 connection I would not even bother with QoS. Use the default settings built-in. You probably will be better off any way.

If I was going to handle a hundred users or more then I would buy the latest Cisco WAP581 small business wireless AP as it is designed to handle around 200 users. You will need a 2.5 gig connection for the WAP581 unless you are going to limit the users bandwidth. I think a gig connection is going to be too slow.
I do not need an access point with so much user capacity, since only four to five devices will connect through Wi-Fi. Thank you!

go with pfsense as ubiquiti doesnt have anything in your budget range that would work with your connection speed if you use QoS.
They are still very expensive devices to buy it now, the one I would like is the Edge 6P, but it is still an excessive purchase.

I do not need an access point with so much user capacity, since only four to five devices will connect through Wi-Fi. Thank you!

They are still very expensive devices to buy it now, the one I would like is the Edge 6P, but it is still an excessive purchase.
100Mb/s QoS speed. if you have a spare pc you can use it for pfsense.

you can buy a PC 2nd hand, even the bulldozer based arch can be considered (piledriver+), and basically any CPU with AES-NI.

I know POE is nice but its better to have it on a managed switch rather than router. Some routers can be powered by PoE too, and switches can be better at it, providing a lot more power. Sometimes the ubiquiti APs will run into issues if they arent getting enough power.

Last edited:
Why the 88U instead of the more modern and more powerful 86U? I think it is even cheaper too.

Ports are almost a non-issue on a router as long as they are more than one because you can just buy a switch.
Please explain how connections are made between WiFi, 8x LAN ethernet ports and WAN inside the 88u.
And how does it compare to connection going thru a single ether wire to a 8x switch.
If the switch connects 8x high traffic devices (potentially 1Gb/s each) how do they go thru the single wire between the switch and the edge router?
Are internals of 88u any better, or is it also a single wire connection. Assume that Google Fiber does do 8Gb/s.

You can use a Lagg from switch to router. I have used 4 port Laggs in Cisco but not consumer gear. There is now 2.5 gig, 5 gig and 10 gig so I am sure Laggs are used much nowadays.