What's new

'Enable HW Accelerator' - affecting local LAN/WIFI traffic (breaks PS4 Remoteplayetc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pericynthion

Does anyone know exactly how the 'Enable HW Accelerator' option (under the 'LAN' tab comes into play?

From reading the other threads, I was under the impression that the option primarily provides some advanced cut-through/cache type switching functions to minimize kernel level inspection of traffic moving *between the LAN/WAN*. Obviously it has to be disabled for things like QOS because it now has to go through kernel level inspection for rule matching etc.

What I cant figure out is why this option seems to be interfering with local LAN clients - in my case a 2.4Ghz wireless client (PS Vita) to a wired client (PS4). With the accelerator option enabled it experiences persistent timeouts, drops connections etc - but when I explicitly disable it, everything runs without a hitch.

Theres no traffic (from what I can see with wireshark) that is leaving the local wifi->LAN switch subnets, so I'm curious about where it comes into play - ie. is it route based, or is it always coming into play between virtual switches (i.e. between wifi and LAN, LAN and WAN, wifi and WAN - but not between LAN-LAN, wifi-wifi etc).

Last edited:
'Enable HW Accelerator' - affecting local LAN/WIFI traffic (breaks PS4 Remote...

Sorry - it wasn't router specific. This relates to both RT-N66U and RT-AC66U running latest ASUS and Merlin firmwares.

It was more a specific question about whether the hardware acceleration is specifically between LAN+WAN or between any virtual 'bridges' (so WIFI->LAN, LAN-WAN etc).

From my testing it appears to be between all of them, so am curious what it is doing (and if I can disable it for say the local vlans for wired and wireless, but keep it on for wan side traffic)

Last edited:
Since CTF is closed-source, nobody but Broadcom knows exactly what it does and how it works. We know some bits about it from observations various persons made over the years, but nothing complete unfortunately.

Im not sure how it works but after a lot of testing I can guarantee that AIRPLAY is much more stable when HW accelerator is DISABLED - So some packages might be lost?

Br

Anders