What's new

EnGenius ESR9850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you talking about this?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65932&sid=6a9a1d645e165c912fb0064426331439

So basically just wait for the new routers to come out :d ? where can i look for news regarding this.

Ralink RT3883 and RT3593 Wireless Solutions
That link is pretty old, but the chip is out.

RT3883 802.11n 3x3 450Mbps single chip AP/iNIC solution - Internet ...
The RT3883 SoC combines Ralink's 802.11n draft compliant 3T3R MAC, BB, 2.4/5GHz RF, a high performance 500MHz MIPS74Kc CPU core, a USB Host and a USB O

Data Rate
802.11b: up to 11Mbps
802.11g: up to 54Mbps
802.11n: up to 450Mbps

Output Power
802.11b: 11dBm (typical)
802.11g: 15dBm (typical) 802.11n: 15dBm (typical)

Receiving Sensitivity
802.11b: -84dBm (typical)
802.11g: -72dBm (typical)
802.11n: -69dBm (typical)

Link address of the PDF
http://www.ralinktech.com/product.php?s=32

Last edited:
Hope you're doing real-time testing and not through the DMZ?. How did you get 800Mbps? I've told some Senior Network Engineers about this site and the router and they're were shock that this router could be getting such speeds. Their question what's the trade off?

Test method is quite similar to what SNB uses.
See images for the test results.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7388/esr9850nattest.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4427/esr9850dhcp.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6326/esr9850dhcp2.jpg

As I have already mentioned, trade off is that if there is any QoS enabled, then Hardware NAT will not function, and Software NAT will be used. Thus changing it back to any other RT3052 normal router.

Test method is quite similar to what SNB uses.
See images for the test results.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7388/esr9850nattest.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4427/esr9850dhcp.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6326/esr9850dhcp2.jpg

As I have already mentioned, trade off is that if there is any QoS enabled, then Hardware NAT will not function, and Software NAT will be used. Thus changing it back to any other RT3052 normal router.

I see your using the same IXC program I guess that only works in XP. I couldn't get to work on 32 or 64-bit W7U. Well okay so it can max out at 800mbps on wired gig connection. Then why on wireless does the wireless radio shutdown. ECO or power saver should only shutdown the radio if it is not in use. If a wireless client device does a site survey and doesn't see ESR9850 because the ECO has shutdown the wireless. I don't want to go to the device and power it on and off or access web admin to turn off the radio and turn it back on again.

Which 1.10 firmware are you using?

Well okay now I've put the ESR9850 back in usage for 802.11mix and let's see if the radio turns off again on it's own during usage or at idle than back to usage. If so I'll disable the ECO feature. But to let you all know 802.11 radio is very strong able to keep this 802.11g laptop at excellent 5 out 5 bars. Still new so wireless won't degrade after a few years. Belkin N+ just can't match the RT3052 features the old RT2880 was great but not so great.

Wireless with ECO disable results.

Turn on one of the wireless laptops this morning and sure enough wireless was present and strong signal!

Next test have all wireless gear active at the same time about 10 nodes (devices) and VPN

Last edited:
Hi guys, I can't figure out how to get port forwarding working on this. I've never been unable to get it working for any other router that had the option to do it. I want it for RDP port 3389 TCP. The internal IP is set with static DHCP and it is correctly listening as verified with netstat (and the fact that the forward worked with my previous router).

-I added it to port mapping. Didn't work.
-Added it to port forwarding as well. Didn't work.
-Turned off firewall. Didn't work.
-Turned firewall back on, and turned DMZ on to the internal IP. Did not work.
-Tried turning off port mapping to leave just port forwarding on.

I am using the right IP address (it obviously changed when I switched routers) from two different external machines (my phone over EVDO and I had my friend try).

Firmware 1.09. NAT hardware accelerator off.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I can't figure out how to get port forwarding working on this. I've never been unable to get it working for any other router that had the option to do it. I want it for RDP port 3389 TCP. The internal IP is set with static DHCP and it is correctly listening as verified with netstat (and the fact that the forward worked with my previous router).

-I added it to port mapping. Didn't work.
-Added it to port forwarding as well. Didn't work.
-Turned off firewall. Didn't work.
-Turned firewall back on, and turned DMZ on to the internal IP. Did not work.
-Tried turning off port mapping to leave just port forwarding on.

I am using the right IP address (it obviously changed when I switched routers) from two different external machines (my phone over EVDO and I had my friend try).

Firmware 1.09. NAT hardware accelerator off.

Best to use the firmware 1.10 in router mode for starters.

Everything is done in Port F.
Why are you forcing the RDP anyway?

Best to use the firmware 1.10 in router mode for starters.

Everything is done in Port F.
Why are you forcing the RDP anyway?

I don't mean to sound annoying but why use 1.10 when many people have been using 1.09 to avoid other (wireless?) issues? What is the point of port mapping if I'm supposed to use port forwarding? And what's wrong about doing RDP - how would you do it?

I don't mean to sound annoying but why use 1.10 when many people have been using 1.09 to avoid other (wireless?) issues? What is the point of port mapping if I'm supposed to use port forwarding? And what's wrong about doing RDP - how would you do it?

Did you disable the ECO (power saver) & WPS on 1.09? I know there are issues with both firmwares but to fix some of the issues with the wireless this is how I am doing it. To help you out I've ESR-9850 as the main DHCP (runs 1.10)
so one is the router and the other is the AP (runs 1.09)

Under PF
you got name, local IP, local port, type, public port

example: N# 1 | VUZE | 192.168.0.xxx |22222 | both | 22222 |

RDP I just leave it allow I don't have a rule for that, so I can access it here on this netbook, or laptop or desktop. Unless you want to narrow to one system only on your network to access other systems?

Turn on one of the wireless laptops this morning and sure enough wireless was present and strong signal!

Next test have all wireless gear active at the same time about 10 nodes (devices) and VPN

Good to hear the 9850 radios are stable, I've never had a problem with mine in the 7750, it has the same chipset, so again methinks its radio interference.

I continue to follow your exploits, tipstir!

Good to hear the 9850 radios are stable, I've never had a problem with mine in the 7750, it has the same chipset, so again methinks its radio interference.

I continue to follow your exploits, tipstir!

I was wondering when you're going to popup and good to know your keep eye out. Wireless been work okay although the room I have it in does a nice light show since it's so bright!

Well I have the 3 brands configured and backup the configuration so I can test and go. Each brand works differently.

I looking for:

Wireless (through-put & being stable)
Gig (through-put & being stable LAN to LAN to WAN to LAN)

Issues with:

Web Sites (non-responsive to clicks to post, save, change, login an etc..)
Overheating (unit case becomes hot)
Wireless (going poof!) or sluggish behavior
Gig (starting to go sluggish) on LAN to LAN to WAN to LAN
P2p Fluctuations
Frozen non-responsive unit
an etc..

Last edited:
I don't get what you mean... the router has no say in what systems inside my network can do with other systems inside of my network... I am forwarding RDP so I can access my main system from outside of my network.

1 RDP 192.168.0.10 3389 TCP 3389

Should I definitely upgrade to 1.10? Technically I don't need this for wireless as I have a Trendnet 11n AP as well, though if I can use this for both then that would be preferrable.

I don't get what you mean... the router has no say in what systems inside my network can do with other systems inside of my network... I am forwarding RDP so I can access my main system from outside of my network.

1 RDP 192.168.0.10 3389 TCP 3389

Should I definitely upgrade to 1.10? Technically I don't need this for wireless as I have a Trendnet 11n AP as well, though if I can use this for both then that would be preferrable.

Oh okay now I see what your doing.. Yes coming in from the outside to your network. Did you setup your IP from your ISP using a service that allows you to mask your IP address to such: dragonrage.homenet.net No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP. Are you doing that or do you have your own domain name?

None of the routers I have now can punch though the location the main router is in to cover the entire poperty with a strong single. Only three routers did that: DIR-615 A1, DIR-655 A3 and Belkin N+. But in time wireless degrades and I back to using two units.

Yes, I have my own domain and I use ZoneEdit for a nameserver. I did update ZoneEdit and I gave it plenty of time to propogate and it does resolve properly to the new IP that I got when I changed to this router. It does match what the router says in its setup and also what I get from whatismyip.com and other sites. The IP/domain is definitely not the issue.

My house is pretty small and not hard to cover with wifi. That's not an issue.

What happens when you use 8080 port or you can use 8082 port. What software are you using on the remote host to client. In the past Dameware or Ultra VNC was able to get a good connection in. I would port forward the port to the main system that was up and running. On your remote side are you at work and trying to get to your home? Does the remote location where you're at have the ports open for you to gain access? Has this ever worked prior to getting this router?

This worked on my old Linksys 11b router, on my Untangle box (for which the motherboard died), and every other piece of equipment. I am using the MSRDP client. Port 3389 is the default. I have always forwarded 3389 and used it perfectly. I have tried it at work and from my phone and I had my friend do it. It will not connect. I have tried the port mapping and the port forwarding options. The port is allowed in IP Filter, though I have tried turning off IP Filter and that did not help. I have tried setting the machine as DMZ and that did not help and I have tried turning the firewall off and that did not help.

The internal IP is also correct. I have verified it multiple times. It's set as Static DHCP, too, so it's not changing.

Edit: Just tried another port and another internal machine. Still no go.

Also tried changing from TCP to BOTH for protocol even though RDP is TDP only. As expected, no go.

1 RDP 192.168.0.10 3389 BOTH 3389
2 RDP2 192.168.0.11 3389 BOTH 3390

Last edited:
Sounds like issue with the router firmware. You should be able to clone the settings over to it. What happens if you use the Trendnet N to remote into your network does that work? Which Trendnet model do you have?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!