What's new

ESATA ports on Synology NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been looking at purchasing one of these but have a question about the e-sata ports. I know they can be used on various models to expand storage via one of synologys add on units. My main question is can I hook up a das like this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132015 and back up the synology's data onto it? I know it cant be used in the storage pool.

Those devices use a SATA port multiplier so one cable services several drives in the enclosure.

Some Synology and other larger NASes have expansion capability... a 2nd enclosure from same vendor. More drives. Can be separate volumes so they become backups rather than capacity expansion.

USB3 is what I use for external. And to that you can use a hub for multiple backup drives.

Just an update. That specific box definitely does NOT work as a backup device for a Synology 213+(Im guessing it won't work with any Synology model). Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and switch to usb 3.0.