What's new

Ethernet cable "u need non PoE cable = 4 wires, not 8"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stansoltz

Occasional Visitor
I bought some cat5e from monoprice... I have an amped wireless ap300 access point, but when I attach the cable, the device freezes and the power lights just flashes. This is what amped told me:
PROBLEM
The Pro Access Point is not functioning and the Power LED keeps blinking.
SOLUTION
a. The network (Ethernet) cable you are using is not compatible with the Pro Access Point. Replace the
network cable between the PoE Adapter and your router/switch with a Non-PoE cable.
Tip: How to check whether your cable is a PoE cable or a Non-PoE cable:
Check the connector tip of the network cable to see if there are 4 wires or 8 wires.
Non-PoE cables have only 4 wires.
b. If you have a computer or network device attached to the LAN port of the Pro Access Point, check that the
cable is a Non-PoE cable. Some unsupported PoE devices may cause power conflicts with the Pro Access Point."

so, I looked through my box of extra cables, and think I found a short ethernet cable which looks like it has only 4 wires in it (not sure where I got it, from a modem maybe?). anyway, the AP worked with the 4-wire cable. But when I search the web, looking for, say a 100ft ethernet cable, they all seem to be 8 wire? does 4 wire exist?

Four pairs is standard for ethernet cable. 100BASE-TX can operate on two pairs but the industry standard for cable is four pairs. You could re-terminate the cable with two pairs.

This AP doesn't appear to be compliant with the PoE standard (802.3af or 802.3at) so that would explain why they require you to use a two pair cable.

Poe

don't plug anything in untill you test the cable and patch cords, I have worked on this stuff for over 30 years and if I don't have a tester I can't say that it will work ok. Don't plug it in if its not tested

T568A or Alternative T568B

100 Base-T uses the green pair and orange pair

POE uses the Blue pair and Brown pair

If you have a cable tester and your cables pass then the problem is not the wire....

Not necessarily. Many low-end testers only check continuity, while ethernet is sensitive to poor crimps and conductor untwisted length.

Certified

I only use quality jacks, rj45's and one of best cat5e brands on the market. I do this every day now for over 30 years.............

I also use the best tools and a expensive tester and if everything passes ok

the cabling infrastructure is not the problem . The problem could then be a software issue or maybe the custommer is is using cheap crappy switches and a no name crappy router...

To make a long story short buy good products and you usually don't have as many problems...
by -cheap - by - twice

Last edited:
Hi,
Regardless, still you have to know what you are doing. LOL!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!