What's new

Few questions about Asus RT-AX88U pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Out of curiosity (again), a question for all the owners of a RT-AX88U Pro : what's your longest uptime ?

Barring power glitches your uptime should be indefinite. So long as you're not applying settings willy-nilly in any case.
And reconfigured the whole thing again. Same way I did before. And I won't change, because that's the way it was working with my R7800, and I expect no less with the RT.
As things go in a forum one can readily mix things up between multiple threads, especially when they're extended over many days, so I don't recall anything you've set on the Asus router to correspond with that of the Netgear. Items which may not work the same between them. If you continue to experience instability and want to quickly determine whether it's hardware or just configuration, you might have to back off of that quoted statement and try things just the Asus way, in case there's some incompatibility.

Barring power glitches your uptime should be indefinite. So long as you're not applying settings willy-nilly in any case.
Only basic stuff 👍
As things go in a forum one can readily mix things up between multiple threads, especially when they're extended over many days, so I don't recall anything you've set on the Asus router to correspond with that of the Netgear.
Well, change of the network range, a cloned MAC Address, same DHCP configuration, same SSID & password, ... I think that's all.
As I said, I'm looking for stability and range. So nothing too geeky.
Items which may not work the same between them. If you continue to experience instability and want to quickly determine whether it's hardware or just configuration, you might have to back off of that quoted statement and try things just the Asus way, in case there's some incompatibility.
Is there an Asus way when we're talking network configuration ? 🧐

Since the change yesterday, router has been solid :)
I really do like the GUI 😍

I don't remember seeing this on any Asus router. Settings requiring reboot warn about this and do it automatically. You don't have to reboot the router manually. There is no further "Applying setting" after the reboot unless it's something new in Pro firmware. I don't have a Pro series router to test with.

Well I do confirm what I said. I logged in the router just to check the GUI. And I clicked on Reboot instead of Logout out (the buttons are too close and I was thinking about something else). And guess what : I got the Applying settings. I didn't change anything at all.
Not a big deal, mind you :)

Well I do confirm what I said. I logged in the router just to check the GUI. And I clicked on Reboot instead of Logout out (the buttons are too close and I was thinking about something else). And guess what : I got the Applying settings. I didn't change anything at all.
Not a big deal, mind you :)

If you don't get any confirmation here from other users of your model, you might have a problem there to be solved.

OE

If you don't get any confirmation here from other users of your model, you might have a problem there to be solved.

OE
I don't think I have a problem with my new router, it was the same thing with the previous one running the same firmware. I think it's the way it works now. And it's not a problem, just an another step when you reboot.

If you're really performing a full reset, not using a backup config file, not toggling settings on/off, and not inserting any USB drive in the router (at least, not during testing), and not changing (most) defaults, and your router continues to display this reported behavior, it is definitely not in a good/known state.

It may be the firmware, as you allude to.

But, I would either return it and buy another example to test (do not exchange) or try the Nuclear Reset steps to see if it can work as expected.

I don't think I have a problem with my new router, it was the same thing with the previous one running the same firmware. I think it's the way it works now. And it's not a problem, just an another step when you reboot.

I may be a victim of your fresh eyes... I just rebooted my router and watched it 'apply settings'... and it looked familiar! So now I must agree with your observation. :)

OE

Was it on Pro firmware? This is something new.

Was it on Pro firmware? This is something new.

My ASUSWRT AiMesh RT-AX86U_Pro_3.0.0.4.388.24198 + RT-AX86U_3.0.0.4.388.24231

I thought it was new but then it looked familiar (of course), so I can't say how old it is... I trust your memory over mine.

OE

It's the second router that I receive and configure the same way :
_ unbox and right away, WPS + Power to reset factory
_ basic network configuration so I can connect to the WAN, upgrade the firmware.
_ WPS + Power
_ network configuration again from scratch, like I said before (clone MAC address, change the IP range, activate DDOS, activate AiProtection, HTTPS config, I change the 5GHz channel, ... )
I leave the rest as it is. I don't use the USB at all.
I save the config file JUST in case. But I never used it.
It has to be a new setting of the firmware.
Again, it doesn't bother me at all.

One question : I told you that my Internet box is configured as a bridge. So my router gets the public IP.
Everytime I reboot, the router gets a new IP. I think it must be something that I didn't do in the DHCP config of the WAN option.
I haven't found (yet) any explanation of the options Normal or Agressive Mode or Continuous Mode (I did find something about the latter : https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043591/ )
With my Netgear router, I would reboot it and keep the same public IP for months, if not years. I would like to have the same thing happening with the AT.
If you guys have an idea :)

I sent back my RT-AX88U Pro and received the same model Monday. It's running the Asus firmware : 3.0.0.6.102_21514-g9affda2_136-g5d23c

I wonder when 3.0.0.6 is going to drop for the 86U Pro.

OE

I trust your memory over mine.

My router was off the entire summer. Will check the new firmware again. Can be something Pro related, they run on different SDK.

Hello everyone,

So far, so good. Router has been rock stable 👍

Little question : what's your average temperature ? I have a fan blowing from below on the router, temp is around 38°C. If I turn it off, then the temp rises up to 56°. I know it's below the max temp (85°C if I'm correct). But is it still safe ?
Thanx for your thoughts :)

My temperature is around 36.7C most of the time.

That low without a fan to cool it ?? Mine is around 56°C when idle, so 20°C more than yours.
Built-in thermal protection shuts down cores at 100C.
But it's not too good to run it at high temperatures, right ? Not that 55°C is high of course, but...
You're welcome. Remove the fan under the router, not needed.
Luckily it's not noisy so... In the summer, it helps a lot to cool it down.

That low without a fan to cool it ?? Mine is around 56°C when idle, so 20°C more than yours.
You missed his sarcasm. That's human body temperature.

But it's not too good to run it at high temperatures, right ? Not that 55°C is high of course, but...
That's not high, it's "comfortable". That's actually lower than any of my Asus routers that have been running for years. You're imagining a problem that doesn't exist.

Ok. So I have this little problem. My internet box is configured as a bridge. I use a MAC address to set it up this way. This Mac Address is cloned on the RT-AX88U Pro, WAN section. WAN connection type is set up as Automatic IP. And DHCP Query Frequency is set up as Normal Mode. The RT gets a public IP.
If I reboot my router, I get a new public IP.
If I reboot my internet box, I get a new public IP.
When I had my R7800, it was configured the same way. A cloned MAC address, and I don't remember having to configure the DHCP query. But whenever I had to reboot the internet box or the router, I would keep the same public IP. It wouldn't change.

Am I missing something with the Asus ?

Thanx for you insights :)

I believe you're misremembering, that or the ISP finally noticed and fixed the issue. A constant IP address can usually only be relied-upon if you pay extra for that. So far as your "internet box" is concerned, nothing has changed. Why had you need to clone a MAC on the previous router? Was it because /it/ had replaced an ISP-provided-and-registered device?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!