What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS issues with 388.4 HND5.04 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
New thread opened by request. Old thread has been closed.

I see that version v1.3.3 is now available. anybody have the release notes?
It fixes a problem detecting things on newer routers with newer kernels or interface capabilities.

On my gt-ax6000, when using flexqos, router starts rebooting every couple of minutes.
Nothing helpful on logs, the last thing before reboot is a Dnsmasq restart by service-event-end (which is empty).

After uninstall flexqos, even if I keep the adaptive qos on, everything goes smooth and no reboots whatsoever

On my gt-ax6000, when using flexqos, router starts rebooting every couple of minutes.
Nothing helpful on logs, the last thing before reboot is a Dnsmasq restart by service-event-end (which is empty).

After uninstall flexqos, even if I keep the adaptive qos on, everything goes smooth and no reboots whatsoever
FlexQoS really only does 3 things that could be related to a panic of any sort:
  1. Add iptables rules
  2. Add/change/delete tc qdiscs, classes and filters
  3. Flush conntrack table
If any of those actions are causing spontaneous reboots, something is flawed in the router.

Does it do the same under stock fw as well with default Adaptive QoS enabled?

If any of those actions are causing spontaneous reboots, something is flawed in the router.
I concur with this statement. I have also seen similar issues where people have been claiming SpdMerlin has caused spontaneous reboot situations. This panic issue might also be related to the autoBW feature of SpdMerlin. Just saying it is an interesting place to investigate. Either way, like @dave14305 said, it is not the actual scripts causing the reboot, it is the flawed router's spontaneous response to the change brought on by the script. Anybody experiencing these reboot issues might want to submit a troubleshoot feedback to Asus.

Here is the thread I am referring to about SpdMerlin:

I also wanted to share I have been running FlexQoS with no random reboots or kernel panic issues. My router is RT-AX88U-Pro, and Firmware Version is 388.3.

Last edited:

that happened to me with one of the iptable test rules too. but after clearing the extra test rules it's back to normal. however with latest update it's still bit early to say as previously my ping will spike after sometime flexqos is started. (i am referring to wired connection only for spikes connected via 2.5 port on gt ax6000)
on wireless I get consistent A+

Last edited:
I'll never understand why there is such variation in success rates. Asus frustrates me. flexqos 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 work fine on 388.2.2 but my ax88pro can't get 388.3 or the new beta to work without random reboots every 10 or so minutes that's even with QoS shut off. I'm going to stay with 388.2.2 for a while. I need a break.

I'll never understand why there is such variation in success rates. Asus frustrates me. flexqos 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 work fine on 388.2.2 but my ax88pro can't get 388.3 or the new beta to work without random reboots every 10 or so minutes that's even with QoS shut off. I'm going to stay with 388.2.2 for a while. I need a break.
Sounds like you either

a) have a faulty AX88U-PRO, and you should consider opening a warranty claim with it, or
b) are in a serious need of a factory reset after flashing to Merlin and did not do one originally.

My AX88U-PRO is running great after I did a factory reset once I flashed Merlin. I then manually configured every thing.

Sounds like you either

a) have a faulty AX88U-PRO, and you should consider opening a warranty claim with it, or
b) are in a serious need of a factory reset after flashing to Merlin and did not do one originally.

My AX88U-PRO is running great after I did a factory reset once I flashed Merlin. I then manually configured every thing.
Factory reset many times. I have had the pleasure of working directly with Merlin. Interesting you would say it's a faulty unit since it's bulletproof on 388.2.2
That would seem to state otherwise. Just reading all of the threads with many people having varying or no problems at all gives me zero confidence in Asus.

that happened to me with one of the iptable test rules too. but after clearing the extra test rules it's back to normal. however with latest update it's still bit early to say as previously my ping will spike after sometime flexqos is started. (i am referring to wired connection only for spikes connected via 2.5 port on gt ax6000)
on wireless I get consistent A+
i am having issue below. i have put the time stamp on file name for refrence. i have to restart flexqos and skynet to get back good latency. if i just go shh into flex, skynet settings and restart it it will give me A+ again but only for sometime.

Attachments

• before restart flexqos 7.51PM.jpg
    before restart flexqos 7.51PM.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 127
  • after restrating flexqos 7.53PM.jpg
    after restrating flexqos 7.53PM.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 102
  • after about 30 minutes 8.28PM.jpg
    after about 30 minutes 8.28PM.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 125
  • permanent ips assigned.jpg
    permanent ips assigned.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 129
  • only gaming rule added to each device.jpg
    only gaming rule added to each device.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 134
i am having issue below. i have put the time stamp on file name for refrence. i have to restart flexqos and skynet to get back good latency. if i just go shh into flex, skynet settings and restart it it will give me A+ again but only for sometime

and i did get A+ again. i have not done testing by only restarting skynet itself so far.

AI Protection is disabled on router though

Attachments

• after restarting flex and skynet 8.45PM.jpg
    after restarting flex and skynet 8.45PM.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Interesting you would say it's a faulty unit since it's bulletproof on 388.2.2
That would seem to state otherwise.
Nah, it just seems pretty anomalous. When I saw this issue happen to you I examined my PRO which is on 388.3 for the same behaviors. Mine hasn't required an actual reboot (or had a reboot) in more than 13 days now. It could also be a faulty power supply. I have seen similar issues with people who had faulty power cords with asus routers.

Last edited:
I installed version 1.3.3 on Asus AX 82 U and GNUton firmware, it works. However, I notice that in the traffic classification it sees me as 'Other', why?

On the router the qos is set to personalize and in the first place I put mediastreaming. The flex qos is set the same way. However it works, just the classification is wrong

On the router the qos is set to personalize and in the first place I put mediastreaming. The flex qos is set the same way. However it works, just the classification is wrong
Gotcha. Qos can be a nightmare for certain flows. At times it can do more harm than good. If there are related flows that aren't 'bundled' collectively then packets will arrive out of sequence anyway. So, it doesn't buy you much under heavy load. It works well for VOIP though IMO.

It works, I notice even net improvements. I was just wondering why it sees audio video streaming as "other". I think a wrong setting

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!