What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@WRobertE @tyspeed42 I don't see it in the change log so I'd have to assume we'll have to wait until John can backport it.

In the meantime I'd suggest that you

a) Don't leave the admin password as the default.
b) Don't leave your web browser logged into the router whilst surfing your pr0n sites.

>The following routers are supported by this firmware:
>N16, N66U, AC66U (original MIPS based revs), AC56U, AC68U (Rev A1,A2,B1) (Rev C1 is NOT supported), >and AC68P (and the retail and color versions, R and W, of each router)

I have received notice from my favourite store that the AC56 is discontinued here in Canada, and the AC68 is rev C1 only, so I can't get any new ARM router to run LTS anymore.

Are there any plans to a new LTS build that could cover some of the new routers in the market?

I bought a couple of TMOBile Cellspot routers and flashed the CFE into AC68U. Goes for less than 60 bucks a piece on ebay. Quite happy so far but you will need to do some work to it it started.

My Samsung S3 were able to connect to 5 GHz network from AC3100 on Merlin 380.66 but couldn't see other 5 GHz network from AC68U on John's 374.43 v24E (it did see the 2.4 GHz though). What could be the reason? TiA

My Samsung S3 were able to connect to 5 GHz network from AC3100 on Merlin 380.66 but couldn't see other 5 GHz network from AC68U on John's 374.43 v24E (it did see the 2.4 GHz though). What could be the reason? TiA
Perhaps there's something about the channel/bandwidth you're using that the phone doesn't like. Try setting the channel to 36 and the bandwidth to 20MHz and see if that makes a difference.

Perhaps there's something about the channel/bandwidth you're using that the phone doesn't like. Try setting the channel to 36 and the bandwidth to 20MHz and see if that makes a difference.

Switching to #36 did the job. Thanks!

On the wireless log page, suddenly my laptop only shows 86/86 Rx/Tx. It's used to be 433/433. I'm on 5GHz channel at 20/40/80 MHz setting

How to fix this? Thank you!

On the wireless log page, suddenly my laptop only shows 86/86 Rx/Tx. It's used to be 433/433. I'm on 5GHz channel at 20/40/80 MHz setting

How to fix this? Thank you!
86 is what you'd get with 20MHz bandwidth, 433 for 80MHz.

But, the router will continuously change the link speed to the lowest value needed to meet the current throughput. So start a large download and check the log again to see if the figure increases.

Also check the wireless log page and look at "Chanspec" to confirm it's 80MHz
Code:
RSSI: NA          SNR: NA        Noise: -92 dBm    Channel: 100/80
BSSID: 30:5A:3A:C7:8A:24    Capability: ESS
VHT Capable
    Extension channel: 106
    Chanspec: 5GHz Channel Width 80MHz (0xe06a)
Mode:   AP Only
It's possible that the router has "stepped down" to 20Mhz because of other routers nearby using channels 36 to 48.

I think I'm going to have to figure out how to send @ColinTaylor (and some others) a pint for their great help :)

It's been an unexpectedly tough week for me. I had some minor surgery, but then came down with a cold (flu?) bug that really laid me out. Just now getting back on my feet a bit. Catching up now, but still may be a bit of a delay in getting back on questions/PMs.

One thing that will be addressed shortly is the recent CVE disclosures (I've been waiting for over a month now for the details to be disclosed, so I could see what needed to be done). Expect a release in the next day or so.

And to those who have dropped me a PM recently wondering about my status, I sincerely thank you. A truly great community.

Glad you're recovering and feeling better. Don't work too hard on this firmware. Health comes first. Get yourself well and then bounce back here. We're all very thankful here for all you have done thus far.

I think I'm going to have to figure out how to send @ColinTaylor (and some others) a pint for their great help :)

It's been an unexpectedly tough week for me. I had some minor surgery, but then came down with a cold (flu?) bug that really laid me out. Just now getting back on my feet a bit. Catching up now, but still may be a bit of a delay in getting back on questions/PMs.

One thing that will be addressed shortly is the recent CVE disclosures (I've been waiting for over a month now for the details to be disclosed, so I could see what needed to be done). Expect a release in the next day or so.

And to those who have dropped me a PM recently wondering about my status, I sincerely thank you. A truly great community.

I'm honestly confused by you (& RMerlin's) constant hard work but what most impresses me is your kindness/compassion. You are what I strive to be like (in my dreams).

:)

:D

Hi. In "Access Point(AP) mode" my post-mount user script isnt invoked.

RT-N66U
374.43_2-24E2
Cant directly recreate it but I was working in AP mode all the time, and after some later reboot post-mount wasnt invoked again. Studied log to find out EXT3-fs reported some errors on sda1 advising to run e2fsck manually (regardless those errors it was still getting mounted, but no post-mount was invoked then). So I unmounted sda1 to run e2fsck over it to fix errors, it fixed it. Then reboot the router (about couple of times).
In this state (and having sda1 and sdb1 clean) only post-mount for sdb1 was picked up: user.debug custom script: Running /jffs/scripts/post-mount (args: /tmp/mnt/sdb1)
Switching to "Wireless router mode" and then back to "AP mode" made post-mount for sda1 was getting picked up again.

It doesnt bother me that much (data corruption on thumb drive are not that often), but is there a logic that if errors on drive occurs stop invoking post-mount for it until switching router main mode?
Really would want to provide more details on that issue, but no idea how to corrupt my thumb drive.
Cheers!

It doesnt bother me that much (data corruption on thumb drive are not that often), but is there a logic that if errors on drive occurs stop invoking post-mount for it until switching router main mode?
No, nothing special like that. post-mount will be invoked for each partition as it's mounted, with the mount point passed as a parameter. (I have two USB keys, with 3 partitions, each a different filesystem, and post-mount is invoked for each partition).

A couple of suggestions....
- How old is your N66? Two things here.
Early N66 had an sd-card slot which would be recognized as a mount-point and sometimes caused the mount point names to change. I'd strongly recommend labeling the partitions, and not using sda1, sdb1, etc. Also, at about 2 years, the power supplies seem to start getting a bit weak....wireless, USB and random reboots seem to be the first things affected. A new PS may be worth a try.
- Some USB drives/keys just seem to have problems with the USB support on the router....especially USB3 ones (even used in USB2 mode). I had a Lexar USB3 key that would just 'go away' and wouldn't come back until replugged when used on the router. Worked fine under Windows.

No, nothing special like that. post-mount will be invoked for each partition as it's mounted, with the mount point passed as a parameter. (I have two USB keys, with 3 partitions, each a different filesystem, and post-mount is invoked for each partition).
Weird. It was getting mounted in /tmp/mnt/sda1 according to log and all files were in place as I checked, but theres no log line telling me post-mount is being invoked. Anyway I'll relabel my usb stick partition and sd-card partition and another power outage will tell if that helped :D I'm using my router for one year.
Yeah, before my actual 1GB Kingston I had 16GB no name, cheap as hell (actually free) USB stick, that was changing my text files into binary garbage at random points in time. Plus it was getting two reboots to see it back in system. Threw that piece to garbage can. Something's there with USB memory that I can't call it reliable storage

Thanks for insight and suggestions. Appreciate work You guys put in. Cheers.

Weird. It was getting mounted in /tmp/mnt/sda1 according to log and all files were in place as I checked, but theres no log line telling me post-mount is being invoked. Anyway I'll relabel my usb stick partition and sd-card partition and another power outage will tell if that helped :D I'm using my router for one year.
Yeah, before my actual 1GB Kingston I had 16GB no name, cheap as hell (actually free) USB stick, that was changing my text files into binary garbage at random points in time. Plus it was getting two reboots to see it back in system. Threw that piece to garbage can. Something's there with USB memory that I can't call it reliable storage

Thanks for insight and suggestions. Appreciate work You guys put in. Cheers.
Just a thought: don't use flash memory for swapping (swap partition).

86 is what you'd get with 20MHz bandwidth, 433 for 80MHz.

But, the router will continuously change the link speed to the lowest value needed to meet the current throughput. So start a large download and check the log again to see if the figure increases.

Also check the wireless log page and look at "Chanspec" to confirm it's 80MHz
Code:
RSSI: NA          SNR: NA        Noise: -92 dBm    Channel: 100/80
BSSID: 30:5A:3A:C7:8A:24    Capability: ESS
VHT Capable
    Extension channel: 106
    Chanspec: 5GHz Channel Width 80MHz (0xe06a)
Mode:   AP Only
It's possible that the router has "stepped down" to 20Mhz because of other routers nearby using channels 36 to 48.

Thank you again! The router was on #165 without any other channel around. The only 2 other channels I saw were #36 & #48. Changing its channel to #161 fixed the problem. My laptop gets 433 Mbps now

The Update-25 release is out! This is primarily a maintainence release to pick up the recently disclosed ASUS CVEs, but also includes some other component updates and fixes.

LATEST RELEASE: Update-25E1
15-May-2017
Merlin fork 374.43_2-25E1j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

Contains the following update (full changelog is in the zip files)

Update-25E1
  • Security
    • Fix for CVE-2017-5891, CVE-2017-5892 (ASUS backport)
      Actually, this fork was not exposed to CVE-2017-5891, which was unique to the new token based login on the later levels. But both CVEs were covered by the same fix.
    • Enhanced web page checking for unauthorized operations (ASUS backport - check_xxs_blacklist)
    • Updated OpenVPN to 2.4.2
    • Updated LIBSODIUM to 1.0.12
      This is the encryption engine for DNSCrypt
    • NEW: Include haveged 1.9.1
      This ensures a sufficient entropy (supply of random numbers) is available for crypto operations
    • Changed mssl to disable all 3DES ciphers (Merlin backport)
  • Other Fork Fixes/Updates
    • Update Nano to 2.8.1 (Merlin backport)
    • Update dnsmasq to 2.77rc3
      This fixes a problem in retrying a truncated UDP DNS response with TCP. It is more likely to occur when using DNSSEC with Linux/Android clients.
    • NEW: Add command line utilities to move HTTPS cert between NVRAM and JFFS
    • Fix for the minidlna database being placed in the wrong location
    • Increase timeouts for some webui operations
      Continued feature additions have resulted in some operations likely to take longer, and the webui was returning too early
    • Disable LAN bridge multicast snooping by default (Merlin backport)
      This could cause intermittent LAN problems with functions such as minidlna and IPv6. If you experience problems with it disabled, it can be re-enabled on the LAN > IPTV page.
    • Changes to enhance the setup and import of OpenVPN configurations (Merlin backports)
    • Some additional experimental changes for DFS Channel support on the N66, AC66 and AC56

As always, a reminder to users with MIPS routers to have a backup of /jffs in case the jffs space needs to be reformatted due to increases in firmware size.

SHA256
Code:
bf5b18378f8f6e4e1ed148a1097abf8d8752583ff8c08afe477ceb6d4c2220cf  RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-25E1j9527.trx
eee1628814ffda0c173711fd70f07574ecdce6f0fe72272dc690daf83e6409c5  RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-25E1j9527.trx
420b5e84d2db3ea20c0ad61bec6c3bf4ce1cc5e63d833f7101b4e5475c023cd0  RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-25E1j9527.trx
05bb678b015a14b1b5582610142ef6d1bda71995e0c85dfcd3332f757632c42e  RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-25E1j9527.trx
97b145b22757701bb534969a58c2693454758d18dca2671475888c982df1e540  RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-25E1j9527.trx

Thanks for new release. :)
I have just tested DFS channels on RT-AC56U and it's not working. (v25e1)
Set DFS checkbox not stick and no extended channels only 36-48.
Maby I doing it wrong way....:)
nvram get wl_dfs_enable=1
@john9527

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!