What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Doubt it will help, but if it's a start, here is the rules as they stand now WITH DNSfilter enabled:

# Generated by iptables-save v1.4.14 on Sat Feb 18 15:44:51 2017
*nat
: PREROUTING ACCEPT [697:39079]
: INPUT ACCEPT [101:10679]
: OUTPUT ACCEPT [142:11633]
: POSTROUTING ACCEPT [21:3465]
: DNSFILTER - [0:0]
: LOCALSRV - [0:0]
: VSERVER - [0:0]
: VUPNP - [0:0]
-A PREROUTING -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 -j VSERVER
-A PREROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/24 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j DNSFILTER
-A PREROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/24 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 53 -j DNSFILTER
-A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/24 -o tun11 -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING ! -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24 -o br0 -j MASQUERADE
-A DNSFILTER -m mac --mac-source xx:xx:xx:xx:xC: DF -j DNAT --to-destination 209.222.18.222
-A DNSFILTER -m mac --mac-source xx:xx:xx:xx:xC: DF -j DNAT --to-destination 209.222.18.218
-A DNSFILTER -m mac --mac-source xx:xx:xx:xx:x2: AB -j DNAT --to-destination 209.222.18.222
-A DNSFILTER -m mac --mac-source xx:xx:xx:xx:x2: AB -j DNAT --to-destination 209.222.18.218
-A VSERVER -j VUPNP
COMMIT

This is with 2 x of my three VPN devices defined so far. Haven't gone to the basement yet to define that last one.....

EDIT: had to add a few spaces to avoid the emoticons.

This is with 2 x of my three VPN devices defined so far. Haven't gone to the basement yet to define that last one.....
That looks pretty much as expected........but.....when you use DNSFilter you can only have a single DNS server defined....no need to try and define the second. (The first match on mac address will match, so it will never get to the second rule for that same mac)

Damn, okay that was my original question..... If I could have 2 x defined (Primary and Secondary). So that answers that.....

HOWEVER, if your solution works the way we (I) (You) think's it should, I would much rather take that option. Less overhead to manage......

i'm not sure if this is a router issue but all my devices are showing

"windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings"

when i run windows network troubleshooter. is this something to do with the router settings i am missing?

Well off the top of my head, security is one. Contains many fixes since v17, doesn't break anything else... why wouldn't one upgrade?

Ok, did that, thanks. I'm not big on changing things that meet my needs, but understand security updates are a big issue. You guys are worlds ahead of what I know, which is why I just asked first. And thank you Merlin & John. I've been reading the hard work you gents put into this.

Ok, did that, thanks. I'm not big on changing things that meet my needs, but understand security updates are a big issue. You guys are worlds ahead of what I know, which is why I just asked first. And thank you Merlin & John. I've been reading the hard work you gents put into this.

I used to be the same but the present software scenario is not the least bit static and for good reason. :) Updates should be part and parcel of every internet facing device.
John's fork has shown consistent reliability and range anyways, specially with our older hardware so there's no real downside to upgrading.

Updated my rt ac66r to the beta firm ware. Love the QoS changes and finally the bandwidth limits work!! Good job John!
However no matter what i change my speeds to buffer bloat is bad, i get all three C rating at dsl reports!

Updated my rt ac66r to the beta firm ware. Love the QoS changes and finally the bandwidth limits work!! Good job John!
However no matter what i change my speeds to buffer bloat is bad, i get all three C rating at dsl reports!
I had this trouble then i read on here somewhere to set both at 87.5% of you speedtest and i get A+ on all 3 :), try that as your base then try tweaking until your happy.

I had this trouble then i read on here somewhere to set both at 87.5% of you speedtest and i get A+ on all 3 :), try that as your base then try tweaking until your happy.

Even though i tried every percentage down to 20% already i went ahead and tried your suggestion with no luck, still getting bad grades.

I am hard wired and even turned off ipv6 with no luck.

Even though i tried every percentage down to 20% already i went ahead and tried your suggestion with no luck, still getting bad grades.

I am hard wired and even turned off ipv6 with no luck.
What are your base speedtest numbers? If it's a lower speed line, the ISP throttling can just be too much to overcome.

Buffering could also be occurring at your ISP, your modem, or your desktop level.

I know Browser support is a PITA, but I see all tabs shifted up a bit using Google Chrome.
See attached picture as an example.
I also tested with IE (which I seldom use) and see it's OK there.

One question about "Traditional QoS", does this work nicely with IPTV?
LAN - IPTV page also have some PRIO setting which match my provider.
I assume not related at all, just asking to be sure.

Thx!

Attachments

• Tabs shifted.png
    Tabs shifted.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 643
  • IPTV.png
    IPTV.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
I know Browser support is a PITA, but I see all tabs shifted up a bit using Google Chrome.
See attached picture as an example.
I also tested with IE (which I seldom use) and see it's OK there.
It's a change in Chrome 56 and is fixed in the V23 beta.

One question about "Traditional QoS", does this work nicely with IPTV?
LAN - IPTV page also have some PRIO setting which match my provider.
I assume not related at all, just asking to be sure.

Thx!
Interesting question.....my first thought is that you are correct and IPTV is not affected by QoS since it's running on a different VLAN interface.

No I'm pretty sure it is the asus, I also have a netduma router and i usually score A+, A, A+ with that connected.
Is the top speed when you run the test actually being limited to around 43 and 4.3? Have you tried a factory reset? It's true that you shouldn't have to, but a factory reset and config from scratch clears things up sometimes.

guys, I was on 374.43_2-10j9527 (no problems) but it seemed I was a bit outdated and decided to update today after visiting the forums.
It's been quite a while, thanks for this set and forget setup.
All went just fine.
kudos john for maintaining this.

Hi @john9527, how are you?

I am trying to build your fork from source but I am facing some issues that I think are due to missing files in github. I get the following errors:
Code:
configure.ac:580: required file `doc/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:580: required file `util/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:580: required file `tests/Makefile.in' not found
configure.ac:580: required file `lib/Makefile.in' not found
Makefile.am:44: required directory ./lib does not exist
Makefile.am:44: required directory ./tests does not exist
Makefile.am:44: required directory ./util does not exist

Those folders seems to be missing in /release/src/router/wget am I right? I've also faced issues in wget/configure.ac due to AC_MSG_NOTICE but just commented those lines out

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!