What's new

Gigabyte switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And one or three new switches are still cheaper by up to an order of magnitude...

Runs away zig zagging...

:D:D:D

Thank you all for the wealth of infomation and ideas. I will start putting the pencil and pricing to these ideas. I did not think about a mid way switch but makes sense if I can find a location with eletrical. I still need to locate a better pathway than exist. I have installed cat many of times and fiber only once (ordered to lenght). Great ideas and options were suggested. Totally appreciate it. I will post the pricing of parts etc when it is reseached. Sorry about the delayed responses. I had a taptalk password issue

I am considering POE @ least 4-6 ports at each end for future WIFI/VOIP options with at least 24 ports at the MDF and 16 at the IDF rackmountable.

They currently do not have anything that needs POE but I would like to offer them options for security or expanded services. You can imagine the latency of the 8 computers on the other side of the building going over 500ft in CAT5.

Obviously as a residential user, my needs are vastly different than industrial or corporate, but I'd only personally go in-structure or bury the stuff. If I had to go above ground, I'd only put it in conduit. That would go basically anything I ran.

I've seen squirrels that could give rottweilers a run for their money on bite strength and the problems that can cause :-(

They currently do not have anything that needs POE but I would like to offer them options for security or expanded services. You can imagine the latency of the 8 computers on the other side of the building going over 500ft in CAT5.

If you have a relay in between, the latency added by a 500ft run of cat5 over a few feet is only going to be about half a micro second, not including any latency added from the relay itself (I assume most relays are NOT store and forward style, so the delay there is likely to only be a few hundred nanoseconds).

Unless you are talking on the order of dozens of miles, physical distance adds little to latency, at least networking applications it is little. Switches can add from hundreds of nanoseconds up to a few hundred microseconds depending on if they are store and forward or not (you'd have to bounce through several switches to even get up on the order of a milisecond or two of delay unless something else was happening, like congestion packets causing a packet to have to be resent or held).

Depending on your needs,I recommend that you use huawei S2700-9TP-EI-AC or huawei S2700-26TP-SI-AC, compare to same function cisco products, it will cost less.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!