What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Might be a long shot, but is your Windows set to the United States region? It's possible the Intel driver checks that in addition to broadcasted beacons in your area.
Thanks. I've double checked all the systems and they're all set to US. I even changed it to other countries, EU and Brazil, which have adopted 6E. And I'm still unable to see 6E.

Those that have upgraded from a GT-AXE11000 to the newer GT-ACE16000... are both units the same size or is the newer unit larger?

I have the much older GT-AC5300 (about a foot wide) on a top shelf of a cabinet that’s over a foot and a half wide and two feet tall. It doesn’t have a door nor the back enclosed, so ventilation shouldn’t be a problem. Size though, does matter. I was looking at the GT-AXE11000 and thought I might wait for the GT-ACE16000 instead.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Those that have upgraded from a GT-AXE11000 to the newer GT-ACE16000... are both units the same size or is the newer unit larger?

I have the much older GT-AC5300 (about a foot wide) on a top self of a cabinet that’s over a foot and a half wide and two feet tall. It doesn’t have a door nor the back enclosed, so ventilation shouldn’t be a problem. Size though, does matter. I was looking at the GT-AXE11000 and thought I might wait for the GT-ACE16000 instead.

Thanks.
20220617_105923.jpg

My RT-AC5300 next to the GT-AXE16000. The RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300 share identical bodies with different coloring.

@Tundy Mundy

It’s so shining… is that with or without the plastic still on? That’s supposed to light up there, right?

Anyways, thank you! Looks like it’s maybe a tad wider & deeper but may work... I just cannot justify the cost of $700 though. I’ll wait a couple months for the firmware to hopefully mature a bit and maybe a sale? Ha ha.

I just hope this new router is better supported than the GT-AC5300.

@Tundy Mundy

It’s so shining… is that with or without the plastic still on? That’s supposed to light up there, right?

Anyways, thank you! Looks like it’s maybe a tad wider & deeper but may work... I just cannot justify the cost of $700 though. I’ll wait a couple months for the firmware to hopefully mature a bit and maybe a sale? Ha ha.

I just hope this new router is better supported than the GT-AC5300.
The photo is with all the plastic still on, but the top shiny piece is still a mirror finish with optional LEDs.

I always had problems with my GT-AC5300 until one of the wireless radios finally completely failed, so I can sympathize.

The photo is with all the plastic still on, but the top shiny piece is still a mirror finish with optional LEDs.

I always had problems with my GT-AC5300 until one of the wireless radios finally completely failed, so I can sympathize.
Lucky my still works and its usually firmware problems with me. They would fix a problem and then introduce a new one with the next release. A solution is usually slow and I’d be forced to use a year-old firmware in between their yearly release cycle at times. Makes me worried to stay with Asus. My much older RT-AC68U is still supported... it gets updates regularly. Why not their premium models?

Just recently got fiber internet and getting slow VPN connection. Hoping the newer CPU would help along with possible WireGuard solution I’ve been told would come to newer Asus routers?

Do you use VPN… and if so, how is your speed with the GT-AXE16000?

Having an issue with my new AXE16000 I have as my primary with a wired backhaul to my AX88U with regards to upload speeds using the google speed test. Connected directly to my gigabit fios modem I'm getting 300-400 Mbps down and 550ish Mbps up, and I would get about the same speeds on wifi on my AX88U before I got my AXE16000. Problem is now when I am connected to either the AXE16000 or the AX88U on any 2.4 or 5ghz bands, I am only seeing about 100-150 Mbps down and 0.6 Mbps up...that is not a typo. I created a fresh new network when I got the AXE16000 and didn't really do any customization beyond turning on LAN aggregation for 2 LAN ports on the AXE16000 to connect my NAS, and enabling wired backhaul. Thoughts?

Can the light effects be programmed to something useful, e,g, to indicate network load etc?

(Waiting for the EU model to be released, latest indications point towards the end of July.)

Update on my end I finally stopped troubleshooting after determining the issue was with the board. The kernel looks like it was partially corrupted and hardware was losing sync by 20000+ seconds among other things so not much else I can do even if I wanted.

I started a warranty repair request yesterday after waiting forever for somewhere to get more stock since I'm not thrilled about paying full price for a product and not being able to use it as intended unless it's sent off first. BHP finally got some stock today though so I canceled that request after I placed the new order and submitted an RMA request so it'll be headed back Monday with a NIB replacement coming Wednesday.

I'm so used to this thing taking 30 minutes to 3 days to boot it's going to be stressful every time this new one has to cycle lol. Will report experience after I get it.

Is there a fix or solution for the slow upload issue yet? Had the issue since day one like some other people and running close to my return window. I tried the latest firmware update (3.0.0.4.386_49533-g724a30d) but still an issue. Everything else has been good except the upload issue. It's killing my server with the slow upload speeds.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried everything - hard reset, factory reset via soft reset and GUI, checked cabling, reset ONT box, checked speed via direct connection to a laptop and a different router. This router is 100% the issue.

I have since contacted technical support chat. They created a ticket and had me fill out a form and submit logs/CFG files. I have no clue if anyone is actually looking at anything I submitted. I feel like I'm in a loop where every few days I'm asked the same questions and for the same files. I was told several that they have "forwarded the information that you have provided to our next level of support" only to ask me the same questions or for the same files again. Terrible service so far, wish I could suggest a better solution for you since you're dealing with the same. If they ever come back with an actual answer, I will be sure to post it for anyone dealing with this.

Bummer to see issues with the new router, hopefully you get it replaced/fixed. Always something with receiving the first batch of a new product that tend to have issues.

Still in stock on B&H in case anyone is after one. Backorder on newegg and out of stock on amazon/rog store.

Update from my original post #147: Talked to Asus support, they had me try a bunch of stuff on top of all the troubleshooting I already did, then said it's likely a hardware issue. Just exchanged with a new unit from a different Microcenter an hour away. Hooked everything up, started a new network from scratch, SAME ISSUE... I'm on a chat with Asus again and they just had me manually downgrade the firmware which didn't work, trying something else with the wireless settings now, although not super hopeful... Will update If/When I have a resolution or I abandon this product :(

Update from my original post #147: Talked to Asus support, they had me try a bunch of stuff on top of all the troubleshooting I already did, then said it's likely a hardware issue. Just exchanged with a new unit from a different Microcenter an hour away. Hooked everything up, started a new network from scratch, SAME ISSUE... I'm on a chat with Asus again and they just had me manually downgrade the firmware which didn't work, trying something else with the wireless settings now, although not super hopeful... Will update If/When I have a resolution or I abandon this product :(
What a weird problem. Seems to me like you got another bad unit. Exchange again? Damn I am glad I got 2 good ones. Not fun troubleshooting that upload issue.

Yeah…a number of ppl seem to be having issues, with u/l in particular. I wish I had symmetric fiber so I could test as well. I’m stuck with gig cable with that ludicrous 40Mb u/l. At that level I have no issues. But who knows if I were able to test it on fiber with higher u/l. As it is, I’m going wireless backhaul to three AX86Us and that seems stable. Also hardwired a 10GB port on the 16000 to a 10GB port on a managed Netgear switch. Not a complex environment, but I’m waiting for two things. First the temps in Texas to cone down…it’s 120 degrees in my crawl space ATM so running wires down walls ain’t happening. Two AT&T is running fiber in my area so hopefully I’ll have that soon as well. Meantime all is working OK in my environment.

Last edited:
Yup, I am waiting for ATT to come service more regions of santa clarita as well. Hopefully soon but it's just pretty crappy the way they have it deployed here. Small pockets. Getting tired of this spectrum garbage myself with 40mbps upload. Fiber is the way :)

Having an issue with my new AXE16000 I have as my primary with a wired backhaul to my AX88U with regards to upload speeds using the google speed test. Connected directly to my gigabit fios modem I'm getting 300-400 Mbps down and 550ish Mbps up, and I would get about the same speeds on wifi on my AX88U before I got my AXE16000. Problem is now when I am connected to either the AXE16000 or the AX88U on any 2.4 or 5ghz bands, I am only seeing about 100-150 Mbps down and 0.6 Mbps up...that is not a typo. I created a fresh new network when I got the AXE16000 and didn't really do any customization beyond turning on LAN aggregation for 2 LAN ports on the AXE16000 to connect my NAS, and enabling wired backhaul. Thoughts?
Having same exact issue! Bought two AXE16000’s connected via wired. Once I enable “enable wired backhaul” internet speeds and latency goes to crap and coverage becomes super spotty! But once I disable it, it’s still connected via wired and everything returns to normal.

just came from 3 AMPLIFI alien’s and I’m sorta regretting it. Hopefully just a firmware issue

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I've tried everything - hard reset, factory reset via soft reset and GUI, checked cabling, reset ONT box, checked speed via direct connection to a laptop and a different router. This router is 100% the issue.

I have since contacted technical support chat. They created a ticket and had me fill out a form and submit logs/CFG files. I have no clue if anyone is actually looking at anything I submitted. I feel like I'm in a loop where every few days I'm asked the same questions and for the same files. I was told several that they have "forwarded the information that you have provided to our next level of support" only to ask me the same questions or for the same files again. Terrible service so far, wish I could suggest a better solution for you since you're dealing with the same. If they ever come back with an actual answer, I will be sure to post it for anyone dealing with this.
Yes please I'm glad I searched about this because its really annoying I tried everything but I don't want wireless backhaul its also random because sometimes I will do a speediest and the uploads will work properly but most of the times the uploads go back to a crawl..

@Joneffingvo, it seems like you've found the solution (or at least the workaround) for now.

Disable the Wired Backhaul option and enjoy the fastest speeds.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!