What's new

Heat issues with the 66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

srinivasvaradaraj

Regular Contributor
I find my N66U runs pretty warm specifically around the metal piece around the LAN port. I was wondering if this was a common experience with others. I have it at a vertical angle with the stand provided.
Thanks.
-sri

No problems so far, what's your room temperature?

Around 72F I haven't measured the temp on the router but I will this weekend. I don't see any performance issues but it does bug me , my old wrt 610N v1 didn't run this hot.

Do you have it horizontal or are you using the stand and have it slightly inclined off the vertical *smile*? I've learned to position these things as close to vertical as possible, since they run cooler to the touch that way.

Around 72F I haven't measured the temp on the router but I will this weekend. I don't see any performance issues but it does bug me , my old wrt 610N v1 didn't run this hot.

Considering the wrt610N has a 300Mhz processor and the RT-N66U has a 600Mhz processor this would be expected.

Absolutely. :D

95 Degrees

Tested my 66 in 6 places with laser temp reader.

It shows 95 degrees as the highest reading and 75 at the lowest.

Probably within reason I would assume.

True, I have it inclined at whatever angle the stand provides. I am considering wall mounting this router but for now , the angle is sufficient to get some air flow. Anyway,
the load on the CPU (atleast the main one) seems minimal.

CPU: 0% usr 0% sys 0% nic 99% idle 0% io 0% irq 0% sirq

I must say that asus may be aware of this, cause there is a process on the firmware called phy_tempsense which seem to interrupt often when the system gets hot. I guess its expected.

Howdy,
I am now the owner of 2 RT-N66U Black Knights. I ordered them approx. 1.5 weeks apart. They are from different batches. Both thru Newegg.com. I might be returning 2nd unit for a replacement.
1st unit, factory 90 version b1 -now running 108 - unit runs great without any dropouts or heat issue.
2nd unit, factory 90 version b1 -now running 108 unit runs with some dropouts, and is running extremely hot. As in I can smell that electronics gonna burn kinda smell. (or already has) opened the box at noon(arrived UPS 10:30am)tuesday, loaded 108, configured it, and its HOT.
Both units are in upright angle stand mode, with clear space around them.
I would think with something like this, it boils down to a quality control issue along the line.

Last edited:
Thankfully, mine doesn't smell. I got mine from newegg as well and it appears to be a bad batch. I will wait a bit longer to see if I have to call in for an RMA. Right now, the unit has clear space around it in up right angle stand position. I haven't experienced network drops either so I will register my unit and wait.
I would have thought that with the giant heat sink on this thing it would be far more efficient in dissipating the heat generated. But I agree with the quality control issues.

I have my RT-N66U sitting horizontally on a desk. I do have the feet slightly elevated on top of 4 white rectangular erasers. The erasers were still in place since I had been using them for my E4200 v1 (just to be safe).

The router's top (cover) gets comfortably warm but not hot.

Mmm, burning electronics!

My ASUS RT-N66U V2 overheated. Purchased from Newegg last week.

Plugged it in, within a half hour, the room smelled of burning electronics. All I did was plug it in via Ethernet to my laptop to set it up and upload the latest firmware (.108).

I still left it on for a few days with no network traffic- the smell never went away, although it wasn't as pronounced as the first few hours.

I never even tested networking to see if something was damaged- there's just no way I'm keeping any electronics that burns! Returned via UPS today.

I find my N66U runs pretty warm specifically around the metal piece around the LAN port. I was wondering if this was a common experience with others. I have it at a vertical angle with the stand provided.
Thanks.
-sri

Hi,
Warm to touch on mine as well. If it is hot to touch I'd be concerned.
mine is on a tilted stand came with the router.

I noticed mine seemed pretty warm as well, so read these posts, and made a note to check it this morning. This morning, it was warm, but not hot. I put it on its stand just in case (it had been horizontal). I should do some big wifi transfers and check it while that's going on as well.

It's definitely warm, though not yet scarily so, and no smell from it.

However, my old WNDR3700 never even got warm - slower processor and all, of course.

- Tim

After a few days of usage and actually measuring the temp btw the N66U and wrt610N, it appears that the N66U runs between 95-102. However the vast majority of heat appears to be in the back where the networks ports are. I am guessing the fins on the heat sink has something to do with the flow. This is particularly true when the router is at a semi-vertical angle placed by the stand. My older 610N is at a toasty 108-112 on the bottom, the back and top remains relatively cool at 80-85. I haven't noticed any performance issues because of the warmth on the N66U.

However, IMHO, smell from burnt electronics is not normal and poses some serious QA issues. Asus does have a good warranty policy though.

-sri

However, my old WNDR3700 never even got warm - slower processor and all, of course.

Which router are you saying has the slower processor?

The WNDR3700 v1 and v2 have a 680MHz processor while the RT-N66U has a 600MHz processor.

Which router are you saying has the slower processor?

The WNDR3700 v1 and v2 have a 680MHz processor while the RT-N66U has a 600MHz processor.

Oh? I had assumed the WNDR3700 had a slower processor, due to it's being an older generation router. Thanks for the correction!

- Tim

Helpful Solution to keep your Rt-N66U cool

Now I know this won't be for everyone but the stand just was to flimsy and did not work for me. Some may have damaged hardware if its overheating and getting burning smells YMMV. My router has been working fine for a couple weeks now. It gets rather warm but not burning hot. I tried the following solution:

ANTEC Notebook Cooler plugged into one of the 2 USB ports of the router. The cooler helps the router stay nice and cool. Not completely necessary for all users but works better then the provided stand. Router is cool to touch when on notebook. Slightly warm on front and cool to touch on the back

Hope this helps others :rolleyes:

Heat never a problem!!

A router i supposed to get warm even hot and it`s designed to stand it and hold for years and years !! So don`t worrey about heat it`s never been a problem!! Thats a fact!!

Sorry but thats not truth, i've always use my routers without top case and im just gonna explain you why.

All my routers, 2x WL-500GP, 2x WL-500GPv2, 1x WL-500W after 1-2 years of working duty popped capacitors inside because high temperatures, if they were designed to stand it this wouldn't never happen. The 2 models with top case opened (1x WL-500GP, 1x WL-500GPv2) were about 15-20 degrees less compared with the same ones closed and they are still working nowadays. Temperature is always a concerning factor on electronics even the if the components are very high quality and could handle it. Its always better having lower temperatures no matter what.

Believe me i have alot of experience on this on the last 10 years :)