What's new

Help choosing a new router to run Merlin's FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brummygit

Very Senior Member
I'm a UK based user of BT's ADSL services and have been running my RT-N66U for a long time now and have been very happy with it. The time has come to upgrade and I need some help choosing. Currently I have an ADSL2+ service but anticipate VDSL being available soon and want the 80 mbps service.

In order to connect my RT-N66U I have been using a TP-Link TD8817 but since moving house I find it syncs lower and reports lower SNR margins than my old BT Home Hub 3 which I've returned to. My ADSL2+ service is running interleaved and generates the odd error but nothing too major as I'm only 400 metres from the exchange.

I previously ran Asuswrt-Merlin but switched to Toastman's Tomato for the better QoS, but I expect QoS will be less of an issue when I get BT Infinity. I want to run Merlin's firmware once again with the best QoS experience I can get as our family are heavy internet users regularly over consuming what our line can provide.

Because I want to run Merlin's firmware I guess integrated DSL is out of the question, therefore I would like some help pairing up an Asus router and DSL modem/router which can serve me for the next few years. I also have a Sam Knows whitebox between my wired router and RT-N66U monitoring my connection unfortunately resulting in double NAT, but I need allow it access to the internet without the QoS coming into play so need to stick with a similar setup unless Asuswrt will let me have a wired device outside of QoS these days.

Any suggestions?