What's new

Help GS108Tv2 Vlan Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cert77

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,
Well i received a new switch yesterday GS108Tv2 one. It took some time to configure it and get it update on the firmware. Once I had everything down i started to see if I could figure out how vlans work on here.

The last 4 hours I can't figure out what the hell i'm doing. there's no video or manual on how to setup a small home network for this switch. I was wondering if someone could help me out . I have attached a layout of what I'm trying to setup.

The homelab, private PC, xbox shouldn't be able to talk to each other.

Was it a good idea to go with this router or should've gone with a layer 3 router? Assign ports to vlans to me is much easier to figure out. But if anyone could help me out that would be great.

Attachments

• HomeNetwork.jpg
    HomeNetwork.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,248
If you browse around there are a few threads and articles about vlans. I have a GS724T which is a bigger version of what you have.

You can use standardised or port based vlans.

So you have 1 port to router and 3 ports to other things. make each port to other things a member of a different vlan group each (lets say vlan 1, 2 and 3). Than set the port to your router to be part of vlan 0 (default), and set it as untagged in vlan groups of 1,2 and 3. I dont have my netgear switch up and running since im using a better switch so i cant show you screenshots.

When adding the vlans you should see 4 groups in total (PVID based vlans).

Well thank you for trying to explain to me how to set this up, I will try tonight when I get home. it's just so confusing . I had a linksys switch and that was way easier to configure because you assign the ports to the vlan. Much easier to figure out and configure.

Are there better switches then this one with assign vlan ports? I wouldn't mind spending a little more for a better switch.

I know my netgear has multiple types of vlans to choose from such port based so it has what you want already. You just need to use the right type.

set each port to be an untagged member of a vlan you want than set the port at the router to be a tagged member of each of those vlans. The router must support vlans for this to work and DHCP needs to run on each seperate VLAN. If you're using the router your ISP gave you you wont be able to set it up as it lacks the configuration necessary to use it on vlan.

I might of found what i was looking for. The LGS308P is from support almost the same switch i have. I could assign vlan to a certain port on the switch, and segment it with different ip address. I'm going to purchase that one and try it. If that doesn't really work I will have to figure something else out or something.

I wish I would have seen this beforehand. What are you trying to do? I have the same switch and it works with different VLANs very nicely, navigating around the web browser can leave a little to be desired though.

I assume you are looking to do port based but you don't have to you can use "Trunks" as well. The Switch itself will have an IP Address that you will use to manage it but the other ports on other VLANs will NOT have their own IPs and you don't need them do either.

You don't need an L3 Switch at all unless you are planning on doing routing between the VLANs.

The main thing that gets a little confusing with the Netgears are the different screens that you have to go to to get it to work properly.

Ya that's the issue i had. I really couldn't find a good tutorial to follow. I needed the router to segment each vlan to it's own ip range. That way I could setup the vlans correct by port number. I return the switch/router back. I'm still looking around to find a good one that will work for me.

Ya that's the issue i had. I really couldn't find a good tutorial to follow. I needed the router to segment each vlan to it's own ip range. That way I could setup the vlans correct by port number. I return the switch/router back. I'm still looking around to find a good one that will work for me.

So explain to me what you are looking to do? Typically you don't need an L3 Switch for most applications. In my house I have 3 different networks a "Private", a "Guest" and a "DMZ" each of them have their own Network address 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x & 192.168.x.x

To me you think of VLANs as a little separate switches for each VLAN. If you put a port in a VLAN it is in one of the little separate switches. Once you have all these little separate switches they all need to talk to the router to get internet service. So you need a pipe or connection which carries all the separate switches information. I use a trunk connection to the router. This is for a layer 2 switch. Setup all the VLANs on the switches with tags. Put the switch ports in the appropriate VLAN on the switch. Create a trunk port to your router. On the router create a trunk port to receive the trunk port from the switch. Your router needs to support VLANs also. If you use a layer 3 switch the router does not need to support VLANs as the layer 3 switch will handle all the VLAN traffic. Also with a layer 3 switch you connect the router using an access port not a trunk port.

if you dont mind waiting for a month and reminding me i can get you screenshots from my GS724T for vlan configs. VLAN is easy to do except on a complicated router like mikrotik.
First you create the VLAN IDs that you want and assign 1 untagged port(s) to each of them. These ports will be your lab and such. Than add the router port to each of these VLANs but tagged. There should be some web GUI which you just click on to set the port.

Than go to your router and set the port to the switch as tagged VLAN. You than run your DHCP server with settings on the VLAN interface and not the port. This would be so much easier to do with mikrotik routerOS than the router you use.

Thank you for the info. I double checked my router from my ISP and it does not support vlan at all. I guess I just need to figure out how to really set this up. I know for a fact this is slowing me down on my studies i need to be doing. Keeping my lab secure from other device on the network.

Thank you for the info. I double checked my router from my ISP and it does not support vlan at all. I guess I just need to figure out how to really set this up. I know for a fact this is slowing me down on my studies i need to be doing. Keeping my lab secure from other device on the network.
You need a router that supports vlans for this to work. Consumer routers dont support this easily.

If you use a layer 3 switch you do not need a router which supports VLANs. You might not want to buy both a switch and a router just buy a layer 3 switch. They are harder to setup because of the layer 3 stuff but a much simpler setup. I hope that makes sense.

PS
You could setup a PC based software firewall with extra NICs for separate LANs or setup VLANs in the software.

Last edited: