What's new

Help needed on RT-AX88U Pro raw speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archiel

Very Senior Member
I am looking for some help on the maximum speed of the RT-AX88U Pro when flow control is disabled. If anyone has one of these and a 1 Gb (or faster) ISP link, what is the throughput if flow control is disabled?

Background to request

I have the older non-pro model and it caps put at around 450/500 on a 1 Gb symmetric link, with flow control disabled. I run Wireguard on the router (for specific incoming and outgoing traffic) which requires flow control to be disabled and this limits the speed on all connections, even those not going over the VPN. [I can run Wireguard with flow control enabled, and initially I get 930/930, but within 2 hours this drops to 450/500 again and to get back to full speed, even with WireGuard off, I need to reboot the router].

As I understand it, I have three choices

1. Find a merlin supported router that can manage 900 - 1,000 symmetric with flow control off.
2. Run the Wireguard on another device on the network (e.g. on a ubuntu VM), and learn how to route remote clients to connect (including over IPv6), which I suspect will not be simple.
3. Use an OPNsense device at the gateway repurpose my RT-AX88U as an AP for the wireless devices.

My strong preference is for the first, to continue to use @RMerlin firmware on a supported router and to use WireGuard as the VPN.

1. Find a merlin supported router that can manage 900 - 1,000 symmetric with flow control off.

This option is currently unavailable. No such router model.

This option is currently unavailable. No such router model.
That is very disappointing, I had hoped that the newer routers with faster chips / more memory would have better raw processing power.

Home routers hardware is more about power efficiency. The device is expected to be running 24/7 on passive cooling.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!