What's new

Recommendation for 1Gb speeds with Flow Control Off.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archiel

Very Senior Member
I have recently moved to 1 Gb Community Fibre and my RT-AX88U is limited by my requirement to run VPN (incoming and outgoing) for some devices. As I have a dual stack setup I am running Wireguard (via WGM), which in turn means I need Flow Control disabled. The net effect is to limit download/upload to around 400/600. If I shutdown WireGuard and enable Flow Control speeds are around 930/930.

While I could add an OPNsense device as gateway/router/WireGuard host and attach my Asus router as APs for Wi-Fi, what I would like to know is whether any current Asus models (with Merlin support) can support 1 Gb speeds with Flow control off - which could (?) be a cheaper quicker & easier solution than adding and configuring an OPNsense device (or pfsense device for OpenVPN) device.

Thanks Archie.

With any VPN running on routers with their limited processor you are not going to be able to get your full ISP connections speed however have you tried using OPEN VPN clients and servers as they allow using runner and flow cache? It actually might be better. I have found no speed advantage running WireGuard on my AX86S.

With any VPN running on routers with their limited processor you are not going to be able to get your full ISP connections speed however have you tried using OPEN VPN clients and servers as they allow using runner and flow cache? It actually might be better. I have found no speed advantage running WireGuard on my AX86S.
My understanding was that although OpenVPN allows use of flow cache, it would have a similar net effect on my router due to its increased resource requirement (than WireGuard). In addition the Asus / Merlin OpenVPN implementations are currently limited to IPv4 for clients, whereas as WireGuard (using WGM) supports IPv4 and IPv6 for all traffic.

My hope was that some of the routers issued after my AX88U have enough capacity to support 1G up/down even with flow cache disabled and that someone with a fast enough link and suitable router(s) would have tested this, or could do so.