What's new

Help needed two routers one running openVPN only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rookie

Occasional Visitor
I have a Netgear R7000 running Tomato Shibby configured working well with PIA and openVPN client.
I recently acquired an Edgerouter X that I would liked to set it up to take care of the openVPN part only.
I am aware of the performance or the lack of the Edgerouter X with openVPN and I am OK with it.

I was wondering how I could achieve this sequence.
Internet > EdgerouterX(OpenVPN) > R7000(TomatoShibby routing and wireless)

Also, if the R7000 was setup in AP mode, would all the features like web monitoring and guest networks etc still work.

Last edited:
I have a Netgear R7000 running Tomato Shibby configured working well with PIA and openVPN client.
I recently acquired an Edgerouter X that I would liked to set it up to take care of the openVPN part only.
I am aware of the performance or the lack of the Edgerouter X with openVPN and I am OK with it.

I was wondering how I could achieve this sequence.
Internet > EdgerouterX(OpenVPN) > R7000(TomatoShibby routing and wireless)

Also, if the R7000 was setup in AP mode, would all the features like web monitoring and guest networks etc still work.
Cascading the routers LAN to WAN should accomplish it.
http://www.linksys.com/ca/support-article?articleNum=132275. I did something similar many moons ago.