What's new

High ping latency to other connected devices on wifi.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cooloutac

Very Senior Member
Hi all,
using my 2.4ghz on ac66u b1 I get high ping latency when connecting to other devices on the network. My ping and bandwidth to the web is fine.

But I have a couple cctv cameras and have trouble connecting to them, choppy live video sometimes. I notice when I ping them from my laptop, its all over the place. packet loss and ping jumping from as low as single digits to 1000 range. usually around 300. Tried to set to 20ghz only and trying diff control channels. Nothing seems to help. Also get high ping when pinging my living room TV on the 5ghz band.

When I ping from ethernet to ethernet wired connections, ping is in the single digits. around 1-3ms.

Is there anything else I can try? I'm using latest firmware.

Thanks,

Rich.

well I take it back pinging the devices from the router seem to be ok. around 1 ms. It seems to be a problem with the devices outside, I think because I have concrete walls.

Any suggestions on what to do about this. How to get a better signal through the concrete walls?

Hi all,
using my 2.4ghz on ac66u b1 I get high ping latency when connecting to other devices on the network. My ping and bandwidth to the web is fine.

But I have a couple cctv cameras and have trouble connecting to them, choppy live video sometimes. I notice when I ping them from my laptop, its all over the place. packet loss and ping jumping from as low as single digits to 1000 range. usually around 300. Tried to set to 20ghz only and trying diff control channels. Nothing seems to help. Also get high ping when pinging my living room TV on the 5ghz band.

When I ping from ethernet to ethernet wired connections, ping is in the single digits. around 1-3ms.

Is there anything else I can try? I'm using latest firmware.

Thanks,

Rich.
A common mistake made which causes WiFi performance issues is to have too many WiFi devices, too many WiFi devices that require high bandwidth, or a combination of both on a channel.

My suggestion would be to move your CCTV to Ethernet if you can or add another WiFi router downstream from AC66U just for CCTV, making sure each router is using different channels.

There are many influences which can negatively impact WiFi performance; topology, environment, devices, neighbors, and more.

well I take it back pinging the devices from the router seem to be ok. around 1 ms. It seems to be a problem with the devices outside, I think because I have concrete walls.

Any suggestions on what to do about this. How to get a better signal through the concrete walls?
You’re never going to penetrate concrete walls with WiFi and get good WiFi performance. Ethernet through the walls and install WiFi router or WiFi extender. Can’t cable through walls? There are solutions that use your electrical wiring that may be used.

You’re never going to penetrate concrete walls with WiFi and get good WiFi performance. Ethernet through the walls and install WiFi router or WiFi extender. Can’t cable through walls? There are solutions that use your electrical wiring that may be used.

I just changed frequency to channel 1 on the router and now all the wireless devices are pinging around 8ms to the router. much better then 300. Will see if it stays the same and continues through evening. I'm pretty sure changing channels didn't help me earlier so I'm not sure what changed.

Maybe neighbors device is off now? lol i'm clueless...

Its basically the ring video doorbell i have most trouble with. The company send me an extender called the chime pro. I put this in my bay window to have more los of the doorbell. This was pinging around 300 with wild fluctuations and packet loss. Even directly next to the router! and the other wireless devices were pinging around 1 ms. Now they all ping 8ms. I have no idea what is going on or if this is a fluke I will keep it monitored.

whats weird is using the extender the rssi of the doorbell dropped to the 30s from 60s, but latency stayed the same. Also strange why company would use rssi as an indicator and not ping since the device only needs 2mbs of bandwidth. Also seems their newer models perform poorer then their older devices..... what else is new...

Last edited:
well now the chime pro is pinging in the 90s and all the other devices are pinging around 2-3ms. I give up. Its gotta be the device, doesn't matter if its inside right next to the router. I even have two of them. and both chime pros have the same issue. the doorbell 2 also had the same issue. Its better then packet loss and pinging in the 300ms range. but still there is some issue.

whats weird is the original doorbell, regular chimes, and floodlight cam have perfect ping. Ring must be another company getting sabotaged from the inside and their latest devices don't work properly. at least I know its not the router now.

sorry for posting so much. but now it seems that if I reboot the router the ping of the chime pro will be in single digits. Then after some time keeps creeping back up till its in the 100s again.

I have 5 devices on 2.4ghz. one device on 5ghz. and one connected to ethernet. I noticed this when toggling mac filtering on or off. the act of rebooting the router causes the ping of the chime pro to be single digits. whether mac filter is toggled on or off. The ping is still a little unstable but in single digits like other devices, but then slowly creeps back up after its on a while.

the other devices stay stable and at same ping. So its gotta be the device right?

It is conceivable that a manufacturer could prioritize traffic such that responses to pings are a low priority.

My suggestion to you would be to obtain a tool like the one I use on my MacBook, WiFi Explorer. There is another I used to use, NetSpot. WiFi Explorer will give you information on signal strength for everyone's WiFi and more. NetSpot builds a WiFi signal strength map of your premise. If you have a Windoze PC there should be equivalent apps.
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.01.46 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.00.53 PM.jpg

oh I see so maybe the chime pros just don't respond to ping requests but doesn't necessarily indicate thats the problem. That could also be why the ping seems greater after its on a while, maybe after it starts loding alot of traffic. I will check out one of those tools thankyou.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!