What's new

Home network hardware setup/recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chrisgtl

Regular Contributor
I have a Asus 86U (latest stable Merlin FW) on VirginMedia M350 using their SH3 in modem mode.

I also have the following on the 86U LAN ports;

- Rasperry Pi 4 (2GB version)
- Windows 10 (i7-9700 / 8GB RAM)
- Asustor NAS

I'm currently running Cloudfare DoT as my DNS servers with Skynet and Diversion. I did have a play with the Raspberry Pi 4 as Pi-hole instead of Diversion which seemed to work quite well but I was unable to use the 86U DNSFilter due to it breaking the enitre DNS setup (I wanted to block xxx/malware using the CleanBrowsing DNSFilter to the kids devices).

The Raspberry Pi 4 is just sat in a drawer now as Diversion seems like a better solution to my needs.

The Windows 10 machine is running Plex server (media on the NAS). The Windows 10 machine is literally just sat there on idle most of the time.

I don't visit any dodgy websites so I'm not looking for the ultimate in networking privacy/security but I do like the idea of not allowing others to snoop on my private activity.

I've been reading about Unbound and quite like the idea of this technology. Would you run Unbound from the 86U or Windows 10 or Raspberry Pi 4? I guess I am looking to optimise my networking experience whilst utitilsing my hardware.