What's new

Home router recommendation (no wifi)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

venture996

Occasional Visitor
I've been relying on an ASUS RTN66U with its wifi turned off as my router. But I'm going to start using a VPN and I'm told that it will be under-powered for that. I have 9 wired devices and probably 25 wireless (3 AP's in the house). I have one open port now that is used to access camera security system, and that is what I will be switching to VPN to access. High speed Comcast is 250Mbps.

Is there an wired router that you would recommend. I have better firewall/router experience than most consumers, but am far from a pro. I don't think I'm asking the new device to do a lot. I was looking at Netgate pfsense, but don't really know if that's the right direction. Open to advice. Thx

I've been relying on an ASUS RTN66U with its wifi turned off as my router. But I'm going to start using a VPN and I'm told that it will be under-powered for that. I have 9 wired devices and probably 25 wireless (3 AP's in the house). I have one open port now that is used to access camera security system, and that is what I will be switching to VPN to access. High speed Comcast is 250Mbps.

Is there an wired router that you would recommend. I have better firewall/router experience than most consumers, but am far from a pro. I don't think I'm asking the new device to do a lot. I was looking at Netgate pfsense, but don't really know if that's the right direction. Open to advice. Thx

If you go with pfSense, make sure the CPU supports AES-NI as this is a requirement for pfSense 2.5. My main use case is selective routing. I find pfSense easier to configure for this purpose and can be done via the web GUI. On Merlin, I have to write scripts to do the same.

If you go with pfSense, you need to purchase another router to use as an AP or something like Ubiquity AP devices. With Asus, there are feature that pfSense does not have and vice versa.

If you want VLANs, then pfSense is the way to go

I will soon be converting an old PC to a pfSense router.

pfSense, OPNsense, or any of the various related flavors will suit your requirements easily. You can go for a pre-built or build your own. As Xentrk already stated, just make sure to confirm the CPU supports AES-NI or you will be replacing it sooner than you hoped for.

I picked up a "refurb" Enterprise desktop from my local electronics recycler a few years back and added in two 1Gbps NICs and have been happily running pfSense.