What's new

How do I Wake on WAN with any router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MariosX

New Around Here
Greetings
I have configured my Desktop to Wake On Lan successfully and tested it many times.
Now I would like to Wake on WAN.

I have read a couple of articles that most routers do not support Wake On WAN feature because the packet needs to be broadcasted and by default packes are not broadcasted by Internet

I have also read on Netgear forums that you can trick some routers to broadcast packets from by changing the Subnet Mask

For example:
Let's suppose that our router has these IP Parameters by default (like my Netgear's)
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

With the above settings, these IP addresses can be used:
For devices: 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254
Broadcast IP: 192.168.0.255

Netgear Firewall rules block broadcast IP to be used

In order to bypass this you have to change the Subnet Mask to : 255.255.255.128
That way:
Devices can use these IPs instead: 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.127
and the broadcast IP is: 192.168.0.128

However, even though I was able to use 192.168.0.128 for port forward, the above trick did not work for me.

What I have configured and verified that everything works so far:
  • Dynamic DNS: works. because I have tried using FTP/Windows Remote Control with the hostname instead of an IP address
  • Router Remote Management via Dynamic DNS or IP
  • Wake ON LAN: I switched on my computer from my android smartphone, laptop and my other desktop
What isn't working:
  • The above trick with the subnet mask I mentioned
  • Port Triggering or PAT Rules
Addiotional information:
I'm using a Realtek Gigabit Ethernet Card, not a Wireless or WiFi Card and Windows 10 with Fast Startup = off
I have run out of ideas and I got tired of it.

Has anyone succeeded Wake ON WAN without modified/dd-wrt/tomato firmwares?
Is it possible to have Wake on WAN on any router?

Wake on LAN is layer 2 and the best way to use it is from the router. A lot of routers will have wake on LAN but im not so sure about consumer ones.

Instead of using WAN you should use VPN to access your router and do it from there. Send the packet from the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!