What's new

How exactly does my "invisible" AP fit in?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Samazama

New Around Here
I just added an AP to my home network. It's working, but I am curious about how it is interacting with my network. (I followed the instructions here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...w-to-add-an-access-point-to-a-wireless-router)
Both routers are D-Link DIR-655s.

The AP is physically connected into my LAN router.
Question the first:
I don't see any indication it exists on my network. Not on the status page which shows connected devices. Not on the page that has the mac addresses allowed to connect. Not on the wireless status list either. But it does, because it's working.

Secondly, although I followed the instructions to use an IP address outside of the main LAN's DHCP range, since I use static IP addressing, could I have just added it as another device? Obviously still disabling the DHCP on the AP router.

Thirdly, I can only access the admin page if I am on the AP's wireless SSID, even though it has its own unique IP address. Why is that?

Thanks in advance.

The AP is physically connected into my LAN router.
Question the first:
I don't see any indication it exists on my network. Not on the status page which shows connected devices. Not on the page that has the mac addresses allowed to connect. Not on the wireless status list either. But it does, because it's working.

the MAC address allowed to connect bit and wireless status bit are both only relevant to devices connected to the MAIN router with WiFi. The AP is connected with a LAN cable, so naturally you won't see it on the wireless client list.

Thirdly, I can only access the admin page if I am on the AP's wireless SSID, even though it has its own unique IP address. Why is that?

Most routers (by default) will only allow you to connect to the admin page if you are connected to the wireless or one of the LAN ports- not the WAN port. As far as your AP is concerned, clients connected to the MAIN router are trying to access the AP via the WAN port (because that's how you connect the AP to the MAIN router).

Thank you for your response.

the MAC address allowed to connect bit and wireless status bit are both only relevant to devices connected to the MAIN router with WiFi. The AP is connected with a LAN cable, so naturally you won't see it on the wireless client list.

I wasn't surprised not to see it on the wireless connections - just mentioned it so nobody would ask me if I'd looked there - but why don't I see it on the list of hard-wired devices? I'm curious, because I thought that adding MAC address filtering would prevent even hard-wired devices that weren't on the list from connecting on this router. Or that at least I would see it there if it were connected.

I looked up exactly where I thought I'd see it:
on the status page under LAN Computers.
Or here:
DHCP Reservations List.
I'm just surprised that something could be wired into the router and not be showing up anywhere.

If you set the SSID for the AP to a different one than the WiFI, say "upstairs", then that SSID will appear on client devices - and they are then able to choose "Best" access device. Important since most client devices (laptops, phones) choose first heard, not always: best.

Also: Good idea to give the AP a static LAN IP address so it's easier to administer vs. having to check a changing DHCP assigned IP.