What's new

How long have Asus devices received security updates in the past?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NogUV

New Around Here
This question is specifically about Mesh devices like XT series, but they are quite recent so it's difficult to have an idea, thus I'll take any historical data about asus wifi devices in general.

I am conscious of creating ewaste and the lack of security updates is one of the biggest driver for ewaste, hence my question: what experience do you have with Asus devices, when it comes to receiving security patches, how long do they provide it?

Note: I'm fine running asuswrt-merlin if it provides me additional security patches.

Context: my previous home router has received updates for 10 years. (AVM, I highly recommend them, but I need a better wifi mesh solution, hence I'm looking at XT12 for example).

Some devices get 3 years of supports, others get 10. There's no constant, it depends on the specific model.

I am conscious of creating ewaste

Go with small business equipment then. Router, switch, access points. Easier to upgrade, better software and hardware, lasts longer. Consumer products are mostly disposable units with extreme marketing involved up to non existing advantages over other similar products and non working features.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!