What's new

I need your help figuring this out !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FrancescoHere

New Around Here
Hey guys, I have a modem/router/Wireless AP that is near the appartement entrance where the internet comes in from the outside.

The wifi to the end of the appartement is messed up and i need HD video over there.

So I wanted to turn OFF the wifi AP and keep the modem/router function. Pass it on using a Switch and then put an ethernet cable on the other end of the appartement or the middle of the appartement.

My question is this : Do I use a ubiquity AP, or do I get a netgear Orb ? Do I need two APs ? One at each end or just one in the middle ?

how will video streaming and video downloading be handled when switching access points ? Will it be seamless ?

Thanks for your help or insight !

best

Lots of options but generally the most simple solution that meets your needs are best. If a single wireless access point would provide sufficient coverage, you can just buy pretty much any wireless router, configure it in bridge mode, cable it from the center of the apartment to the existing router, and turn off WiFi on the existing router.

If you need two access points, you can just add another one from anybody (make sure it is 802.11ac) and use it with your existing router.

If you can’t use a network cable to connect the two access points, then a mesh solution becomes a better choice. Ubiquity and Orbi come into play along with at least another dozen vendors. A lot will depend on your location as these products are not available in many countries. The “best” choice depends on on lots of details that are only important if the simple option won’t work for you

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!